APShave 28mm SynBad Fan review

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Thought it better to start a new thread for this review (so it doesn't get lost).
I recently bought my first ever APShave Co brushes. They arrived 2 days ago...nearly 4 weeks after ordering, so not too bad considering Covid delays, etc.
Both are 28mm synthetic 'SynBad' fibre. One is the Fan, the other is the Bulb.
My previous favourite brush was the Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Pony knot, but I wanted to try something different (and a man can't have too many brushes can he?).
So far I have only used the Fan brush.
Wow, what a difference. I thought the Yaqi was soft on the face..the APShave Fan really is like lathering with a cloud.
It had no trouble loading up with Stirling black cherry soap from the tub, and then producing a lovely lather on my ruggedly handsome face.
Lots of 'micro lather' in the mix, and all up definitely a step up in performance from the Yaqi.
Never had a Fan knot before but I'm now a (dare I say it) 'fan'.
After quickly loading up and then producing a most luxurious lather the Fan knot then had no trouble laying that lather on (a brush is only good if it can make a good lather and then release that lather when/where you want it).
A very enjoyable experience all up.
With my normal shave consisting of either the Timeless .95 OC or ss Karve #F plate...followed by 2nd pass with the Blackbird SB (yeah, I know...I'm 'different'), I do need a decent lather.
The APShave Co SynBad certainly delivers the goods.
If you haven't tried a Fan knot, or the SynBad fibre yet you are missing out on a treat or two.
I can see the SynBad Bulb being the go-to for really hard soaps as it has (I think) a touch more backbone (just going by the general 'feel' of the brush).
Anyway, I'm a happy wee camper now...and have now retired the Yaqi (it may become my travel brush now).
The AP brushes don't cost an arm and a leg, and you get to pick what handle/knot you want.
Give one a go...I'm sure you will be delighted.
Seen here with Yaqi Rainbow for comparison. Fan knot on the right (Blue handle).

Thought it better to start a new thread for this review (so it doesn't get lost).
I recently bought my first ever APShave Co brushes. They arrived 2 days ago...nearly 4 weeks after ordering, so not too bad considering Covid delays, etc.
Both are 28mm synthetic 'SynBad' fibre. One is the Fan, the other is the Bulb.
My previous favourite brush was the Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Pony knot, but I wanted to try something different (and a man can't have too many brushes can he?).
So far I have only used the Fan brush.
Wow, what a difference. I thought the Yaqi was soft on the face..the APShave Fan really is like lathering with a cloud.
It had no trouble loading up with Stirling black cherry soap from the tub, and then producing a lovely lather on my ruggedly handsome face.
Lots of 'micro lather' in the mix, and all up definitely a step up in performance from the Yaqi.
Never had a Fan knot before but I'm now a (dare I say it) 'fan'.
After quickly loading up and then producing a most luxurious lather the Fan knot then had no trouble laying that lather on (a brush is only good if it can make a good lather and then release that lather when/where you want it).
A very enjoyable experience all up.
With my normal shave consisting of either the Timeless .95 OC or ss Karve #F plate...followed by 2nd pass with the Blackbird SB (yeah, I know...I'm 'different'), I do need a decent lather.
The APShave Co SynBad certainly delivers the goods.
If you haven't tried a Fan knot, or the SynBad fibre yet you are missing out on a treat or two.
I can see the SynBad Bulb being the go-to for really hard soaps as it has (I think) a touch more backbone (just going by the general 'feel' of the brush).
Anyway, I'm a happy wee camper now...and have now retired the Yaqi (it may become my travel brush now).
The AP brushes don't cost an arm and a leg, and you get to pick what handle/knot you want.
Give one a go...I'm sure you will be delighted.
Seen here with Yaqi Rainbow for comparison. Fan knot on the right (Blue handle).

Keep the reviews coming

I'm really enjoying the 30mm SynBad bulb, and would really like a fan in that size. Sadly, APShaveCo don't make one, and have no immediate plans to do so. (I asked, just a couple of weeks ago.) I did find that the density of the knot means it needs a bit of loft to "breathe", ie. a bit of room between the fibres to hold my lather, but the sheer size of the knot gives enough backbone while still being lovely and soft.