ATT SB Stainless

Rhinehoth

... and these are a few of my favourite soaps.
J2NzfQB.jpg

As you can see in the picture, this razor comes with a polishing cloth, 5 Astra blades (green) and 5 plastic washers (one on the razor and 4 in the plastic bag). For the price, presentation is top notch and this is how all razor should be packaged. The razor is very well made and polished to a high standard except for the inside of the top cap and top of the bottom plate (satin). I had a shave with it today, using an Astra blade that came with it and the shaving soap was Tabac.

This razor Is for those that enjoy lots of blade feel but it’s not for me and I’ll be getting rid of it. I don’t mind blade feel as long as the razor is efficient and smoothish. I find the Blackbird to be more efficient and smoother to boot with not as much blade feel. This doesn’t mean that the ATT SB is a bad razor; I am comparing it to the Blackbird which is twice a expensive, it’s my first shave with it and there is a lot of YMMV in shaving. What doesn’t work for me may very well be shaving nirvana for you.

J2NzfQB.jpg

As you can see in the picture, this razor comes with a polishing cloth, 5 Astra blades (green) and 5 plastic washers (one on the razor and 4 in the plastic bag). For the price, presentation is top notch and this is how all razor should be packaged. The razor is very well made and polished to a high standard except for the inside of the top cap and top of the bottom plate (satin). I had a shave with it today, using an Astra blade that came with it and the shaving soap was Tabac.

This razor Is for those that enjoy lots of blade feel but it’s not for me and I’ll be getting rid of it. I don’t mind blade feel as long as the razor is efficient and smoothish. I find the Blackbird to be more efficient and smoother to boot with not as much blade feel. This doesn’t mean that the ATT SB is a bad razor; I am comparing it to the Blackbird which is twice a expensive, it’s my first shave with it and there is a lot of YMMV in shaving. What doesn’t work for me may very well be shaving nirvana for you.
How about trying it with a less middle-of-the-road blade before you decide to move the razor on? Maybe a Gillette Yellow or a Nacet?

How about trying it with a less middle-of-the-road blade before you decide to move the razor on? Maybe a Gillette Yellow or a Nacet?
Well, it is the blade that came with it so I would assume that blade works best with. Most manufacturers tend to supply blades that they think works best with their razors. Also, it’s a blade that I have used in the past and like.

Last edited:
Some members have commented that I may have been rash with my assessment of this razor seeing I’ve only used it once. There are a lot of razors that I have and like that on first use just worked and others did not. Also, I am not new to this and dare say have more experience shaving with safety razors than the majority of members on this forum. I started shaving with my father’s safety razor (Gillette tto) when I was 16 and I am now 60. Furthermore, when a member, for example Errol, does a first time review of a razor and states that it’s not for him i don’t jump on this forum and make inane comments like “I am simply stunned …………….. once.” and “It’s very common”. A bit of decorum gentlemen.

J2NzfQB.jpg

I can understand your feelings.
I sold my SB90 SS and AL versions due to excessive blade feel.

But plz don't judge ATT based on this experience. Their Windsor razor is Mega smooth! One of my all time favorites!

The blackbird has less blade feel than the SB90? (I'm waiting to receive my BB)

I'm simply stunned people can make judgement on something using it once.

I generally agree with this but with the SB90, it no doubt has a ton of blade feel, in a slightly chattery way.

The Windsor has zero chatter and the razor feels nearly blade-less in use.

I provided this feedback to ATT and they said they want to accommodate those that prefer blade feel.

I can understand your feelings.
I sold my SB90 SS and AL versions due to excessive blade feel.

But plz don't judge ATT based on this experience. Their Windsor razor is Mega smooth! One of my all time favorites!

The blackbird has less blade feel than the SB90? (I'm waiting to receive my BB)

I generally agree with this but with the SB90, it no doubt has a ton of blade feel, in a slightly chattery way.

The Windsor has zero chatter and the razor feels nearly blade-less in use.

I provided this feedback to ATT and they said they want to accommodate those that prefer blade feel.
I intend to purchase another ATT razor (Windsor) with a mild, medium and aggressive plate. I have no issue with the build of the razor or the company itself. From my dealings with ATT, it is a class organisation and would recommend them. It’s just that the SB90 is not for me. YMMV and all that. 😁

I intend to purchase another ATT razor (Windsor) with a mild, medium and aggressive plate. I have no issue with the build of the razor or the company itself. From my dealings with ATT, it is a class organisation and would recommend them. It’s just that the SB90 is not for me. YMMV and all that. 😁

The M, R, H plates have been discontinued so you should grab them before they disappear.

Otherwise you can only get the SSMR (0.4mm) or SSRH (0.8mm).

The entire beauty of the Windsor is the cap. It reveals only 1mm of the blade edge which minimises chatter and it's ultra smooth.

Some members have commented that I may have been rash with my assessment of this razor seeing I’ve only used it once. There are a lot of razors that I have and like that on first use just worked and others did not. Also, I am not new to this and dare say have more experience shaving with safety razors than the majority of members on this forum. I started shaving with my father’s safety razor (Gillette tto) when I was 16 and I am now 60. Furthermore, when a member, for example Errol, does a first time review of a razor and states that it’s not for him i don’t jump on this forum and make inane comments like “I am simply stunned …………….. once.” and “It’s very common”. A bit of decorum gentlemen.
Making your mind up on a single use of a razor leaves very little play for variables which may have impacted your shave.

For example, your lather may have been off, undetectable to the eye. Sometimes my skin feels different and when I shave, I know I’m stopping after 2 passes and no touch ups. Things like this could mean you just missed a sweet shave, regardless of what razor was being used on the day.

Not saying you or anyone is stupid or an idiot for judging a razor on a single use, but I’ve seen a lot of guys here and on other sites/platforms make a decision on that first shave.

Maybe that specific razor requires a different technique to that you are used to? I think @MadFlava81 has one and he might provide some insight?

Making your mind up on a single use of a razor leaves very little play for variables which may have impacted your shave.

For example, your lather may have been off, undetectable to the eye. Sometimes my skin feels different and when I shave, I know I’m stopping after 2 passes and no touch ups. Things like this could mean you just missed a sweet shave, regardless of what razor was being used on the day.

Not saying you or anyone is stupid or an idiot for judging a razor on a single use, but I’ve seen a lot of guys here and on other sites/platforms make a decision on that first shave.

Maybe that specific razor requires a different technique to that you are used to? I think @MadFlava81 has one and he might provide some insight?
Agree to disagree. I used a soap that I’ve been using for decades and lathering Tabac is not rocket science. Similarly with Astra blades, I’ve used them before many times and know what to expect from those blade. As for riding the cap and using different angles, yes I tried all that. From my years of experience using different razors, changing variables makes the razor slightly less awful but not enough to keep. I have around twenty razors that are keepers and they just worked on the first go (Lupo, Apollo, Blutt, H&S, etc.,). When I shave with a new a new razor for the first time, I use a soap that I am very familiar with and a blade that either the manufacturer provides with the razor or a Personna blue if not. I am not the type to force myself to like something just because I paid money for it, and spend days on a razor hoping it works for me. Look guys, life is too short to waste it on flogging a dead horse. Besides, I’ll be donating some of my razors to the yearly auction on this forum, so it’s a win win situation. 😁

The M, R, H plates have been discontinued so you should grab them before they disappear.

The entire beauty of the Windsor is the cap. It reveals only 1mm of the blade edge which minimises chatter and it's ultra smooth.
Which would you suggest? The discontinued or the new plates?

I’m with @Rhinehoth on this one. I’ve known almost immediately how I feel about a particularly razor. That’s not to say that I haven’t shaved with it again and changed up some of the variables just to make sure, but invariably my initial impression doesn’t change.
My philosophy is that there are too many great razors out there to persist with one that you don’t get along with.

Which would you suggest? The discontinued or the new plates?

If you want highest efficiency, the discontinued H plate is awesome!

The new SSRH is just a tad less efficient but, as expected, also a tad smoother.

I’ve got the original ATT (Classic) razor… does the new Windsor cap fit on the original M/R/H baseplates? Is there a significant design and performance difference?

I’ve got the original ATT (Classic) razor… does the new Windsor cap fit on the original M/R/H baseplates? Is there a significant design and performance difference?

I believe the Windsor cap will fit but you'd want to confirm with ATT just in case.

Performance wise there's a huge difference...the classic reveals 2mm blade so it chatters like crazy, the Windsor reveals 1mm and it's ultra smooth without blade chatter. Kind of wipes away the stubble.

I don’t remember it chattering, but I have to admit I haven’t used it in awhile. I’ve just been using the Muhle R41. I wonder whether shimming the ATT with another cut down blade would help the stiffness.

I had tried a shim in it and whilst it did make a difference, it was still no comparison to the Windsor H1.

The SB90 is a well loved razor and quantity, fit/finish can't be faulted.

But I have to agree with the OP that just a few shaves in and I was able to decide to let them go.

I don’t remember it chattering, but I have to admit I haven’t used it in awhile. I’ve just been using the Muhle R41. I wonder whether shimming the ATT with another cut down blade would help the stiffness.