Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I know that there are 'honemeisters' on the Forum here, including some who will offer freebies from time to time and lots of others who hone themselves and for friends BUT ...

I saw this listing on eBay and thought I would post here in case it was of interest - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322237449634

You all know that I know nothing about straights so please don't take this as a recommendation per se. I also have no connection with the supplier.

If anybody has or plans to use the service some reviews or feedback might be good for others.

Ron Spencer aka RSPE7027 is a highly reputable str8 seller and honer by many on SRP

Ahhhh! The name to the username!

He's a very reputable eBay seller and I've bought honed straight razors from him in the past. He is based in Melbourne.

I've also had razors honed by @Mark and onimaru55 (various forums). Both I've met in person here in the Northern suburbs of Sydney. Both are amazing Honemeisters and both love their Japanese stones. [emoji16]

I haven't had a razor honed by @Substance but if @bald as vouches for him then he'd be fair dink'um. He's based in Brisbane I believe.

I believe @Havachat45 hones straights too. He is based down the South Coast of NSW I believe.

Anyone else to add to the Honemeister (hones for payment) list while we are at it?!

I'm out Ipswich way filobiblic FWIW and only too happy to help anyone wanting to get into real razors (hehehehe).
I've also heard really good things about Ron Spencer aka RSPE7027's work.
I hope he doesn't let his brother Frank loose on them though - could be disastrous for Betty....hehehehe

Haha! Well that's a little further than "South Coast NSW". [emoji6] Very handy for anyone in Brissy though!

All these great honemeisters in our country, time to challenge them with a honeoff?

I'm happy to put an edge on a blade, but not for money. This counts as relaxation... a hobby.

And @borked's last message is why... I don't want to be put up against the Masters. I'm not only not in their league, but I think we are playing a different game altogether.

I'm happy to put an edge on a blade, but not for money. This counts as relaxation... a hobby.

And @borked's last message is why... I don't want to be put up against the Masters. I'm not only not in their league, but I think we are playing a different game altogether.
I suspect you underestimate your level of skill.
Anyhow evaluation aside peers enables advancement :)

I suspect you underestimate your level of skill.

It's not that. I hone to a point where I can shave thick Italian fence wire off my face. A keen edge isn't the issue. I know I don't have the passion that @Mark and others do for honing. I certainly enjoy the process, and taking the time to get a fine edge. However, I don't delude myself to think that my hones are beautifully straight along the edge, under magnification. Some of the posts I have seen in here have exhibited some masterful execution of a very niche set of skills. I completely admire the skills the hone-meisters have, but I don't put myself at their level, with good reason - I'm not at their level. No jealousy, no spite... just a simple fact, and my ego can live with that.

For a blade that shaves like it should, I can do that. I have been since I was about 7, with fishing knives on the old man's oil stones. If you need a filleting knife to cut like a Solingen Puma, then I'm your guy!

I do agree that having peers furthers advancement. It also keeps a skill alive.

Ron is a genuine bloke that's been around for years with a good rep, give him a try. But as he stated, don't send him junk. Don't send me junk either, it'll boomerang just as fast, I may also react with some profanity, just don't take it personally. Even ask @Draco Noir who helps out the VIC crew with honing, he completely understands.

So a new, same model Gold Dollar, to hone and customise to each of you it is? ;)
Having the lot of you together for a master-class would be an interesting experience from someone with an interest, yet nil experience/skill.
I'd imagine you all would gain something from it too :)

So a new, same model Gold Dollar, to hone and customise to each of you it is? ;)
Having the lot of you together for a master-class would be an interesting experience from someone with an interest, yet nil experience/skill.
I'd imagine you all would gain something from it too :)

One of these for each of them, is that your offer mate - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Handmade...-Camel-Bone-Buffalo-Horn-Handle-/201609149054

s-l1600.jpg

Offer?
Nyet, challenge, yet if you're flush enough to afford such a generous offer to each... :)

I think that they would all manage to get an edge on it - certainly one sufficient to cut me into little pieces as they came hunting in a very aggrieved pack ...

I think that they would all manage to get an edge on it - certainly one sufficient to cut me into little pieces as they came hunting in a very aggrieved pack ...
At least they would be working in unison, that's alone is a positive, is it not?