Australian Private Reserve AMA this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few more if others want a go.

1. I know a few wet shavers and including myself the want or need for an unscented splash. Obviously as a self labelled prefumery this may be beneath you but your splash base is incredible and very much liked. Is there a utopic future where this might happen.

2. As global alcohol based shipping is a bitch and raises costs when will you get with the program like T+S, CL, PB and SV and produce a low or non alcohol based post shave lotion or solid cologne?

In jest for shit and giggles:

1. At the end of 2017 you created a Xmas gift splash for a bunch of Australian Shaving enthusiasts called 'Borked' after a favourite and adventurous forum member. Can that be me this year!?

2. Will you out the Sabbatical cheater?

3. Did you assassinate Shaver Heaven's Anthony?

Can someone post on my behalf to the AMA Discussion.

1. Barring EU regulations what are your ethics on acquring/accessing certain absolutes and scents. Case in point animal, rare and criminally controlled agriculture/harvesting?
  2. Your preference to bowl or face lathering and do you consider this while making APR soaps. ie hydration and loading?
  3. When the tipping point comes between your law career and prefumery what factors are going to make this decision?
  4. From your SOTDs you seem to love your Blackbird SB more than your other razors. It this a aesthetic choice or prefer the nature and skill of a more aggressive (YMMV) razor?
  5. Some people have an expensive obsession with watch acquisition disorder. On this, what do you wear, use, have and want? I take you for a G-Shock kinda guy.
  6. From what I know of you and your energy and thought process to create complex time layered related scents. Sometimes taking over a year to generate the finished product. Which has led to you producing collaborations with leading artisan shaving producers. Will you be collaborating with Zoologist for their Tapir line?
  7. The revenue from software based sales usually exceeds hardware related products so off putting. Do you see APR ever getting a hardware product or collaboration going and if so what, and don't answer a just 'no'?

Slow Rusty, Slow mate :D

I will answer you here within the rules and accepted norms of P&C

1. I obey the laws of this country (Commonwealth in this case) strictly. Ethically there are a number of materials I will not use due to the nature of their source and method of collection. Both of which it would be highly inappropriate for me to discuss and detail here. The answer here is no I don't due to the law and hell no I don't due to the ethics.

2. I bowl and face lather, I really dig watching the chemistry of soap so I prefer bowl lathering - it's the same as cooking for me - emusifying a dressing for instance.

3. That question presumes that balance cannot be attained, I believe it can.

4. That's probably a recent perception rather than my actual preference. I don't have a single favourite but my list would be : BBS1, OC and SB Wolfies, Blackbird, Slim & Mergress. I like mid aggressive razors myself, I need to be able to use almost neutral pressure using the weight of the razor alone when shaving for it to be a contender. Physically it has to has flawless (or close to) engineering behind it (the only reason the mergress is in the list - Eric engineered out the defects) and it has to look pleasing too. Why is the Slim in the list then ? - For the age of the razor and design, it's just such an incredible shaver.

5. I don't have a watch, I do likes Monstas Melbourne though, its the first watch I have seen I would actually consider wearing aside from the Swiss Mondaine Railway watches.

6. Not as far as I know, my graphic designer and good friend Ellis Miller (Declaration, Chatillon Lux, etc, etc) uses a Tapir as his logo (See the G'day mate release) so that's where the Tapir joke comes from. I also played a lot of Far Cry....

7. No Razors or such like but I will be releasing a collaboration product with a Canadian artisan that came about in relation to the lots I will be donating for next years charity auction. There won't be many of them as they will be hand made, but I think people will like them. When they are ready and when the time is right I will post all the details, but not until that time :)

Oh FFS...after this no more, Ive been answering questions for 12 hrs....

Few more if others want a go.

1. I know a few wet shavers and including myself the want or need for an unscented splash. Obviously as a self labelled prefumery this may be beneath you but your splash base is incredible and very much liked. Is there a utopic future where this might happen.

2. As global alcohol based shipping is a bitch and raises costs when will you get with the program like T+S, CL, PB and SV and produce a low or non alcohol based post shave lotion or solid cologne?

In jest for shit and giggles:

1. At the end of 2017 you created a Xmas gift splash for a bunch of Australian Shaving enthusiasts called 'Borked' after a favourite and adventurous forum member. Can that be me this year!?

2. Will you out the Sabbatical cheater?

3. Did you assassinate Shaver Heaven's Anthony?

1. I find that idea less than compelling :D

2. No I will not. I would take a permanent ban from the forum over disclosing that information because to do so would reduce me to the same ethical level as the individual who has elected not to disclose his breach of the social contract he is a party too.

As a grumpy, cantankerous old man at I think the entire forum banner phenomena is tedious beyond comprehension. Most of the applied colour schemes should be taken out to the back shed, lined up and shot then lined up again for one final round just to be sure.

3. I'm guessing you didn't read Anthony's thread, or more critically @Monsta_AU post when he closed it you wild bastard /facepalm.

EDIT: Any typos or poor sentences, spaces, punctuation are down to being on the keyboard for 12 hrs doing the AMA and answering PM's on reddit so my hands are tired and my mind needs a rest.

Last edited:
One last thing related to the materials I use that I am excited about (and that is not a bloody question) is this is really for the consideration of @UKSteve and @borked and those who secured an APR 'The Santal' LE set.

Around a year and a half ago I met a fellow through another fellow that put me onto a woman who has a connection to a part of India where the good-good comes from (Big perfumery houses have a presence there) and through a lot of wrangling I managed to get my hands on some aged Mysore Sandalwood which is such a rare and sort after material - you cant really buy it, if you see it on ebay etc its counterfeit, etc. I bought as much as I could at the time as it was priced at around $7,000 USD a kilo and that was that. The intermediary for the acquisition dropped out of sight and I lost the hookup as the facilitator in India won't deal with me directly as I am nobody in the perfumery world. Anyway, after my AMA last night (Around 3am) I get a ping on my proton mail account and it's the guy from 2 years ago still doing his thing - he is a retired perfumer, a few emails back and forth later and he puts to me the offer knowing full well I would immediately accept. It will be posted tomorrow!

More to this, I have been exploring Australian and Australian developed Sandalwood varieties and have finally managed to procure one domestic source, and one international but proximate source of two different (but still stupidly expensive) certified materials (Sandalwood is assessed based onα-Santalol and β-santalol levels) sources and these oils and exceedingly potent in what we look for.

The sum effect of these two tracts is that I will shortly begin working on the next evolution of for now what i'll call 'The Santals' with a release timeline yet to be determined. Like the previous release we are talking sub 5 sets with a slightly higher price point ($450-$550) due to the wanton and excessive use of Sandalwoods - I may also decide it's extrait time on top of the mandatory Soap, Splash, and EDP at this price point. It can be taken as a given that the 'look and feel' of the sets will be substantially evolved from the original release too.

I will invite expressions of interest at a point in the not too distant future through a public post on P&C and advise the interested parties of the timeline and the cost for the release. This won't be a scramble for a set situation, it will be planned, people will be advised and it will be a civilized release for those people that enjoy the finest Sandalwood and other materials in the world. There will also be the option to request additional materials be added to the initial mod however I will retain the right to veto them if they are not up to scratch, or will destroy the design - so think expensive, rare and suitable before considering this.

Edit: Sorry guys edited to indicate the likely price range for the complete set so there is no astonishment or disappointment :)

Last edited:
One last thing related to the materials I use that I am excited about (and that is not a bloody question) is this is really for the consideration of @UKSteve and @borked and those who secured an APR 'The Santal' LE set.

Around a year and a half ago I met a fellow through another fellow that put me onto a woman who has a connection to a part of India where the good-good comes from (Big perfumery houses have a presence there) and through a lot of wrangling I managed to get my hands on some aged Mysore Sandalwood which is such a rare and sort after material - you cant really buy it, if you see it on ebay etc its counterfeit, etc. I bought as much as I could at the time as it was priced at around $7,000 USD a kilo and that was that. The intermediary for the acquisition dropped out of sight and I lost the hookup as the facilitator in India won't deal with me directly as I am nobody in the perfumery world. Anyway, after my AMA last night (Around 3am) I get a ping on my proton mail account and it's the guy from 2 years ago still doing his thing - he is a retired perfumer, a few emails back and forth later and he puts to me the offer knowing full well I would immediately accept. It will be posted tomorrow!

More to this, I have been exploring Australian and Australian developed Sandalwood varieties and have finally managed to procure one domestic source, and one international but proximate source of two different (but still stupidly expensive) certified materials (Sandalwood is assessed based onα-Santalol and β-santalol levels) sources and these oils and exceedingly potent in what we look for.

The sum effect of these two tracts is that I will shortly begin working on the next evolution of for now what i'll call 'The Santals' with a release timeline yet to be determined. Like the previous release we are talking sub 5 sets with a slightly higher price point due to the wanton and excessive use of Sandalwoods - I may also decide it's extrait time on top of the mandatory Soap, Splash, and EDP. It can be taken as a given that the 'look and feel' of the sets will be substantially evolved from the original release too.

I will invite expressions of interest at a point in the not too distant future through a public post on P&C and advise the interested parties of the timeline and the cost for the release. This won't be a scramble for a set situation, it will be planned, people will be advised and it will be a civilized release for those people that enjoy the finest Sandalwood and other materials in the world. There will also be the option to request additional materials be added to the initial mod however I will retain the right to veto them if they are not up to scratch, or will destroy the design - so think expensive, rare and suitable before considering this.

Oh sheesh there goes my sabbatical banner :LOL:

Thanks @todras for answering these questions especially considering the late AMA submission and your tiredness.

Noting my questions were for the wild west of reddit forums and catalyst for the upstarts I appreciate the P&C responses and no further questions or responses will be required.

1. @UKSteve pricked my interest in Ouds and other rare absolutes and was amazed at the illegal activity in those trade circles that's all.

2. Cooking analogy, you did mention you loved to cook.

3. Smart answer. Maybe I shouldn't presume :unsure:

4. Ditto.. so concur

5. Googling images, nice (y)

6. I just learnt something, so was hoping something else.

7. Oh.. thinking we'll have a few more new members signing up for that one.

Oh come on, harden up. :LOL:

The last were for fun and the reddit crowd would of danced all over it or perpetuated a conspiracy.

Thanks again @todras, love your work and energy you put into your creations.

Now lets close this thread. :banghead:

1. @UKSteve pricked my interest in Ouds and other rare absolutes and was amazed at the illegal activity in those trade circles that's all.

The criminality/corruption around the destruction of incredibly rare old growth species is horrendous, but this is exceeded by the form and type of labour used to harvest it. Where it pertains to animal derived sources (which are the most highly prized) we navigate immediately into territory where the nature, descriptions and discussions of the methods, persons and 'market' is really not something I would be happy discussing on P&C tbh. If you are interested in the origins and supply chains of compounds used for perfumery then Google has a mountain of information - best do it without the kids being around or kick on the safe search though :)

No, I don't use them ever I am glad to say.

The sum effect of these two tracts is that I will shortly begin working on the next evolution of for now what i'll call 'The Santals' with a release timeline yet to be determined. Like the previous release we are talking sub 5 sets with a slightly higher price point ($450-$550) due to the wanton and excessive use of Sandalwoods - I may also decide it's extrait time on top of the mandatory Soap, Splash, and EDP at this price point. It can be taken as a given that the 'look and feel' of the sets will be substantially evolved from the original release too.

Edit: Sorry guys edited to indicate the likely price range for the complete set so there is no astonishment or disappointment :)

This, this is what it’s all about. My heart rate genuinely increased, this what artisans should do every now and again in my eyes, unadulterated luxury and excess and shout ‘fuck you buy me’ I’m in.

This, this is what it’s all about. My heart rate genuinely increased, this what artisans should do every now and again in my eyes, unadulterated luxury and excess and shout ‘fuck you buy me’ I’m in.
As long as they're willing to entertain payment plans with loyal customers and friends prior to the release ;)

Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed.
Sensual stimuli should be indulged.

Thanks to family members who offered the early birthday gift of financial contributions, I was able to win the recent auction and will be enjoying it for a long time coming :)

PS @todras is it true you're honouring your detractors with a special release "Ocean Breeze" ?

From @todras -

@UKSteve and @borked @RustyBlade and @fruityasu (and of course anyone else) I have asked for this to be locked, I will get a new thread initiated in relation to the Santal 2 in the coming days and explain the plan, the variables and the timeline. Your responses here in relation to the post are exactly what I am intending for the fragrance, and its clear we share the same understanding and expectations as per the previous release. I look forward to discussing it more with you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.