Backpack Recommendations

nsavage

nerroneous at best.
Hi all,

Exciting time for me as I finished up at my current workplace today and move on to an exciting new opportunity next week. One of the many changes will see me commuting to work by bus (and of course motorbike from time to time). I am looking for some recommendations for a new backpack. Would like something in the 25-30 litre range (happy to consider slightly larger). Would like a tablet sleeve and I am assuming that I will also require a laptop sleeve of some sort. I am looking for something sturdy and reliable but would like to keep it as professional looking as is practical. Thanks in advance for the help.

Personally I love a lot of what are now considered “tactical” bags from 5.11-
The rush 12 and Lima are my favourite packs currently-however not everyone likes/can deal with that aesthetic so in that situation you could do well with osprey.
https://www.osprey.com/au/en/product/comet-COMETNEW_550.html

The above would be my pick for your description, they are costly but they last and last- their warranty is ment to be great too.

I would urge you to have a look at the offerings from 5.11 like the above mentioned or the COVRT 18 because the build quality is just fantastic and should last a long LONG time.

Last edited:
I knew when I read the thread title that Ferret would have posted something to do with a tactical bag

Back pack recommendations tally:
Ferret: 1 Steve:0

TBH they do a good job for the money, that said my osprey recommendation isn’t exactly tactical but I can only recommend what I know ;)

I just got sick of replacing packs and while the mil spec tactical aesthetic isn’t great most of the time it seems to be the price you pay for a well constructed pack at a lowish price.
That said your local market may be different, when I bought my packs I had 2 military supply (and 1 disposal) stores within lunchtime walking distance but 0 compitant outdoors stores.

Last edited:
Actually I recommend 2 packs and a messenger bag, so 2.5 to me.

Have you considered something which doubles as a tail bag for the ninja? I alternate between the car* and the bike and have been finding it frustrating swapping bag every other day.

I have a Nelson Rigg tail bag for the ninja which clips on to straps secured under the seat, Im not a fan of how it looks in backpack mode, tool much like a handbag for my macho image. There is no way you would fit a laptop in this thing, an A4 sheet of paper is too big. https://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/tail-bags/touring-tail-seat-bag-detail.html

* When I drive the car I usually have a walk from parking spot and take a backpack. For the record it is a Denali thing from Anaconda, pretty good had it for a few years, comfortable and light.

Personally I love a lot of what are now considered “tactical” bags from 5.11-
The rush 12 and Lima are my favourite packs currently-however not everyone likes/can deal with that aesthetic so in that situation you could do well with osprey.
https://www.osprey.com/au/en/product/comet-COMETNEW_550.html

The above would be my pick for your description, they are costly but they last and last- their warranty is ment to be great too.

I would urge you to have a look at the offerings from 5.11 like the above mentioned or the COVRT 18 because the build quality is just fantastic and should last a long LONG time.
I will check out the 5.11 offerings.

At a glance the Osprey looks pretty nice as well. I didn’t think it was that pricey either. I have been looking at the OGIO RSS Renegade and The North Face Surge and Surge Transit which are considerably more expensive thank the Osprey.

I got this one about 6 months ago

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/packs-bags/day-packs/denali-meteor-daypack/BP90051315

It was on special for about 30 bucks. Couldn't be happier. The only complaint I would have is the zippers can get caught in the little rain protection flaps on the pockets.

Oh and it has a laptop pouch
Thanks @LukehGee i will have to get down to my local Anaconda and have a look. How waterproof is it and how long do you think it will last?

@nsavage easily a few years. I can't really see how anything could go wrong just to and from work. My last bag was about the same price point (40ish) andnlasted me 10 years.

I have not been caught in any heavy rains yet, but the few light ones I have been, have seen it get pretty wet and nothing has come through. The zippers are tucked under material flaps. But there is also a rain cover in the bottom of the bag you can pull out. I'll take a photo of it when I get a chance, I have never actually pulled it out.

I still have one of these that I bought in 2014.
I use it every day and it still looks brand new. It has never failed me.

https://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail/samsonite-vizair-plus-15.6-laptop-backpack-black-/

med

There is a large selection on that site. Other styles. Other brands. I bought from them. There were no surprises.
About to get a new laptop. So will likely get another bag from them soon.

I am a huge fan of Millican,but now only available from o/S since Mountain Designs closed down.
I recently took my "Smith" on the Great Ocean Walk and it was outstanding.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of their recommendations. I checked it a few of the options mentioned as well as looking at alternatives mentioned elsewhere on the net.

For reference I settled on the Osprey Tropos which arrived today. I have not yet had the chance to use it but I am so far happy with it. Not as many small accessory pockets as I am used to having but I am confident that I will get used to that pretty quickly.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of their recommendations. I checked it a few of the options mentioned as well as looking at alternatives mentioned elsewhere on the net.

For reference I settled on the Osprey Tropos which arrived today. I have not yet had the chance to use it but I am so far happy with it. Not as many small accessory pockets as I am used to having but I am confident that I will get used to that pretty quickly.
Nice choice!

I’ve been looking at a crumpler for a nappy bag.

i have a 511 rush 24. it is a bit bigger but it has straps on the side that can shrink the profile of the bag. you can always make it smaller but you cant make the bag bigger so i think the 24 is the way to go.

i have a 511 rush 24. it is a bit bigger but it has straps on the side that can shrink the profile of the bag. you can always make it smaller but you cant make the bag bigger so i think the 24 is the way to go.
Nice :)
Rush 12 is my wife’s hospital bag for impending bub

Sheesh. the idea of it irks me for some reason. Bag look ok thou
The Aus or multi cam versions seem like the tactical choice...

As there will be brown stains regardless