Bad Feather Blades.

rhodes96

... is THE man!
Grand Society
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Has anyone picked up a bad batch of Feather blades.

A box of 200 I purchased locally mid last year, has been giving me 1.5 shaves. Half way through the second shave They start pulling and becoming scratchy. (time to throw away).

I have opened several of the plastic blade boxes and taken blades out of each to compare. All samples producing the same result.

Normally I can get 3 good shaves from a Feather.
I have tried them in mild, mid, and aggressive razors and all doing the same thing, with the aggressive razor drawing weepers.

I have a few older tucks of Feather blades from about 3 years ago. Shaved with it over a week and no issues. End of the 3rd shave was still good.

Anybody else experience a similar issue?

I would rather not say where the business I purchased from as They are a good and reputable business and I know in a heartbeat they would replqce
Where did you buy them from and have you got any photos of the new ones unwrapped?

They were purchased from a local supplier online. Seller is very reputable and would replace for me no questions asked. Seller has always been very generous and there is no way I would bother them about this.

This is between myself and Feather.
I will email them and go through the process, Although I expect to get knowhere unless others have made a complaint. I feel I am not alone, and I have a suspicion if I searched on blade reviews from other vendors I know would find others with the same issue.

I had a good look at the edges between a problem blade and the good blade, even used my horology magnified lamp and could not see a difference. A microscope would probably be needed to see the blade edge detail properly.

I have had dodgy blades here and there from cheaper brands, so I know exactly when a blade becomes unusable for myself.

1.5 shaves on those bad batch Feathes would normally take about 4-5 shaves for myself to feel like that.
I have very tough whiskers, and I normally use a blade for 3 shaves and I dispose of them in the blade bin. Three shaves for me usually works 80% of the time. Sometimes some of the cheaper brands I have learnt I only get 2 good shaves and throw them away.

Never had bad feathers but have only bought 100 + few samplers. Definitely had a bad batch of Voshkod's though.
You expect better QA from a premium producer like Feather and for the price.

Never had bad feathers but have only bought 100 + few samplers. Definitely had a bad batch of Voshkod's though.
You expect better QA from a premium producer like Feather and for the price.

Yes I agree. At around $60 for 200 not the cheapest blades around.

Oh well I will send an email off to Feather, and see what they say.

I am pretty sure I know what the response will be. " They only guarantee single use of the blade." In which case I cannot argue as the first shave was a standard Feather blade shave and no issues.

Here I am thinking this was the norm for feather blades. I got a sample pack a couple of months ago after hearing about their superior sharpness and the like - at the time I had a beard and was only using them to trim and sharpen up lines/angles. They were only lasting about 3.5 shaves for this basic duty. I’ve since moved on as the shaves I was getting from them weren’t really ‘doing’ it for me.

Here I am thinking this was the norm for feather blades. I got a sample pack a couple of months ago after hearing about their superior sharpness and the like - at the time I had a beard and was only using them to trim and sharpen up lines/angles. They were only lasting about 3.5 shaves for this basic duty. I’ve since moved on as the shaves I was getting from them weren’t really ‘doing’ it for me.
Trust me ;) you’ll fall in love with Gillette Nacet :happy:

Yeah, because I know you can’t walk away from Gillette Nacet and is far better than the Japanese Feather
OK, that's interesting. Maybe I'll give that a try. Back when I first started shaving, I bought whatever was available at the shops (Wilkinson Sword or Gillette whatever-would-now-be-called-vintage) and never gave it any thought. 400 years later, and I've suddenly realised there are hundreds of different blades out there, and I'm never going to be able to try them all now, so I'll just have to cherry-pick from recommendations.

The Russian Astra SP works well for me most of the time (and I gather they're owned by Gillette), and I use Feather from time to time when I want to dial things up, but maybe I should think again...

I concur with SpeedyPC re Nacets. This morning (Tue, 7 July), for the first time I inserted a Feather blade into my Feather AS-D1 expecting a great shave. What a disappointment with slight tugging from the outset and a no better shave than my standard Nacets. Same brush, water and Croap (The Body Shop).

From personal experience I find the Feather to smooth after the first shave but also only lasting around 4-5 shaves, 6 max! As opposed to the Nacet that shaves consistently from the first shave - with best results when used in the 6S or R4-R5 plates. I've also seen some people strop the Feathers against there arm or denim jeans to smooth them prior to the first shave...?

I concur with SpeedyPC re Nacets. This morning (Tue, 7 July), for the first time I inserted a Feather blade into my Feather AS-D1 expecting a great shave. What a disappointment with slight tugging from the outset and a no better shave than my standard Nacets. Same brush, water and Croap (The Body Shop).
I concur with Bucephalus the Gillette Nacet is far better than the Feather DE blade, if you don't believe me, look at those smooth sexy kinky camel black leather boots he's wearing, it's super smooth sexy and shiny shave.

Not feathers but on the topic of bad blades I think the recent Israeli Personna reds are terrible. I bought some as production in Israel was ceasing, they are just about the worst blades I've ever used.

Aha, you’ve not seen me in the morning! OMFG!
giphy.gif