Badger brush bristles keep dropping out

It's a fact.
And the evidence is ???? Without evidence it is personal opinion and even with scientific evidence it is still personal preference. YMMV

No, nothing to do with technique or YMMV, it's the material. My technique is the same with any brush, although I barely use anything than STF synths anymore. The boars are harder work and require far more product, the Silvertip badgers take longer to get going. Even then, the lather is never as good with either.

I've had a lot of brushes over the years. I tried synths out of curiosity, thinking I was unlikely to shift from my regulars. But the ability of STF synths to outperform all of them for producing the best/most/easiest lather is not a YMMV or subjective thing. It's a fact. The preference for boar and badger comes down to subjective things - look, brand feel. When it comes to what the brush is designed to produce, it's not a contest.
Very much a case of YMMV.
Natural hair brushes consistently work well for me with perfect lathers. Synthetics on the other hand always require extra work and time to add the right amount of water and air. The lather they produce quickly and easily is akin to canned foam, airy and fluffy and not at all suited to me. The STF fibres are without doubt the best of the syths I've tried but even they fall well short of the quality lather produced by a good boar or badger.

Arent synthetics a lot more expensive than boar brushes though? At least, all the ones that I have seen are...

Edit : I ended up getting https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223765872200 which seems to be an affordable synthetic brush, unfortunately the shipping time is estimated to be Jan 9-28...

Last edited:
Are you saying all the natural hair brush users just don't know what they are doing and only the synthetic users know how to lather'n shave properly?

No, you said that. I'm saying the synthetic material does it better. Both the natural materials need more product, more work and effort to get a decent lather. It doesn't have to be scientific or spread sheeted, it's what happens, as others here have already acknowledged. I think the synth lather is also better - glossier, slicker and wetter, so it works better. That's my opinion part.

My argument is that it is YMMV and personal preference. You cannot convince me or any other natural brush users that synthetics are better with facts, fiction or BS

Synthetics are crap. They are springy, usually to soft to do anything other than paint, and just don't feel right. Just another fake plastic thing that shouldn't be taken seriously. A firm boar is my preference, they'll lather anything, and they feel fantastic.

Synthetics are crap. They are springy, usually too soft to do anything other than paint, and just don't feel right. Just another fake plastic thing that shouldn't be taken seriously. A firm boar is my preference, they'll lather anything, and they feel fantastic.
Everybody is different Mr Black Hairy Puss.

I don't have any issue with my current synthetics brush as YMMV during the correct knot size and loft height and also the different type of synthetics fibre of your choice.
IF, the synthetics loft is below 56mm maximum height can become springy and very stritchy (very scratchy) and IF the loft height is over 56mm maximum height can become very floppy like a paintbrush.

My ongoing current synthetics brush is the WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot

wcs-two-tone-tall-synthetic-shaving-brush-blue-white-3_545x700.jpg
wcs-two-tone-tall-synthetic-shaving-brush-blue-white-2_545x700.jpg

Last edited:
Everybody is different Mr Black Hairy Puss.

I don't have any issue with my current synthetics brush as YMMV during the correct knot size and loft height and also the different type of synthetics fibre of your choice.
IF, the synthetics loft is below 56mm maximum height can become springy and very stritchy (very scratchy) and IF the loft height is over 56mm maximum height can become very floppy like a paintbrush.

My ongoing current synthetics brush is the WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot

wcs-two-tone-tall-synthetic-shaving-brush-blue-white-3_545x700.jpg
wcs-two-tone-tall-synthetic-shaving-brush-blue-white-2_545x700.jpg

(y)
Looks nice, and many people swear by them, I still have some myself, but boar is my no.1 choice.