todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
gFfZr4m.jpg

Barristers Reserve
https://www.barristersreserve.com/
The long anticipated Reserve range of after-shaves recently went live after months of testing and refinement by Will @Barrister & Mann. As we have come to expect from the products out of these stables we have 3 inimitable scents, an irony that they are interpretations of 3 products from the wet-shaving world that are no longer available. It may be a case of homage to the originals, or as I suspect it may be a case of a man who likes scents offering his personal interpretation based on his love of perfume and scents.

I obtained these three via a colleague who travelled to the US on business, I understand that Con @shavetheman will be stocking all three via his online store The Stray Whisker at a price point yet to be determined.

Ingredients
Classic
Cool
Spice

Packaging
The packaging here is beautiful, innovating sturdy and durable as we can expect from the Italians. The bottles feel solid, well made and speak to the care taken with product. The artwork itself reflecting I believe the US Patents in regard to the items depicted on the bottle - a very nice touch that lends a sense of provenance and love of law in this regard. I love the hand feel, the density of the plastic and the care taken with the plastic top. My only comment would be that the sticker placed on the top cap was off centre, and in my opinion not needed. A stamped into the plastic logo or 'herald' in my opinion would have value added the product more than the stickers.

Reserve - Classic

Scent: Upon lightly agitating then opening the bottle of Classic I was greeted by a powdery oakmoss analogue, citrus, lavender and a hint of Sandalwood - certainly a scent reminiscent of after shaves long gone. It may be that 'real' oak moss is used in these, however I suspect a synthetic analogue - at any rate it is a pleasing smell for fans of this scent. The older wet-shavers will immediately recognise the mimic of Gillettes now discontinued 'Sun Up' aftershave albeit with some intelligent and interesting refinement as we have come to expect from B&M

My initial thoughts are that the concentration of scent oils/perfumes to alcohol is not particularly strong, what I mean by this is essentially that it is a fairly dilute solution. I applied 3 or 4 generous shakes into the palms of my hands as I would any splash and applied generously over my face and neck area. My initial impressions in this regard were found to be accurate, the scent dissipated rapidly and was almost undetectable approximately 2 hours after application.

Skin Feel: The skin feel, as with all Barrister & Mann alcohol based splash products is superb. These are cooling, moisturising, caring splashes that treat your skin superbly for what they are. I would go as far as to compare them to many of the non-alcohol based balms as regards their skin care and post shave properties.

Reserve - Cool

Scent: Fans of Floid Blue will love the Cool with it's subtle notes of lemon, bergamot and lavender. I initially found the bottle scent to be a touch synthetic, but with repeated uses and sampling it is starting to grow on me as I am a big enthusiast for the traditional barbershop scents - this one being a very Italian interpretation with the absence of the powdery musk dry down in favour of sharp, refreshing and bright citrus notes.

As with the classic I found that the scent from the blue has a short life, on the occasions I used it within an hour or two the scent has depleted to a barely detectable level.

Skin Feel: As with the Classic the post shave feel, and skin care properties of this splash are superb and last several hours after application. Absolutely no complaints in this area as to performance. The care taken with ingredients is apparent, and rewards the face superbly.

Reserve - Spice
Scent: Undoubtedly my favourite of the Reserve range, this is unquestionably a homage to the much loved Old Spice of yesteryear with it's rich, warm woody, spicy notes. I immediately get Vanilla, tonka bean and nutmeg out of the bottle with the more subtle nuances becoming noticeable during the dry down. This works immediately for me, the scent profile and notes are superb. Love it!

Unlike both the classic and the cool I found that this one had the most duration of 'face time' at around 3 hours or so. While not exceptional in longevity it was certainly the right direction as to my expectations of a splash. I'm uncertain if this is due to greater concentrations in solution or due to the nature of the individual ingredients themselves.

Skin Feel: Again superb, see the previous descriptions.

Overall
It would be very easy, if perhaps not naive to dismiss this range as dilute with the ratio of oils & perfumes to alcohol in solution found wanting, and it may be quite fair to say that this is in fact the case. However it could also be easily argued that yes, while this is in fact demonstrated and evidenced by the short life of the scents on the face, it can also be interpreted as a case of utility offering a range that deliberately not endure - sometimes we want something that fades and does not cloy.

Another line of reasoning and argument and an important one I must foreground is that these splashes permit the use of an EDT. An EDT as we know is designed and formulated to sustain scent throughout the day where an aftershave, traditionally, is supposed to fade.

My subjective take is that these scents are growing on me and I am mostly undecided if I will keep them in high rotation or not. I found, and commented previously that they do not immediately stand out like others in my line-up however this is the case with other Barrister and Mann soaps and splashes due I suspect to the complexity and composition of the products.

Will loves his scents (I base this on his /r/wicked_edge and /r/wetshaving posts, I do not know or correspond with him personally) and more relevantly he loves to make interesting, complex and nuanced scents within his product range - I base this on my owning all of his soaps and scents. I feel that this range embodies that ideal so I insist on persevering with the Reserve range for a time longer least I miss something truly exceptional.

A Caveat
Thanks for reading, and do please remember: this review is of course based on my purchasing the range as a consumer, with no free samples, inducements or gratuities that could otherwise be construed as introducing bias or favour into this review. Further, my subjective sense of smell and evaluation is employed here - what I do not like, others may love and visa versa.

Great and honest review mate. Thanks

Wow - another stellar review @todras (y)

Thank you both, I was somewhat reluctant to post the review here given that I am probably the only one to have tried and used these scents and I didn't want to be 'the guy' who said what I did until everyone had already bought them.

Hearing from both of you though in particular - two fellow shavers I respect a great deal as you both use a lot of the imported, more artisan products yourselves has made me feel a little better about expressing the opinions I have in relation to the new Reserve splashes. ;)

gFfZr4m.jpg

Barristers Reserve
The long anticipated Reserve range of after-shaves recently went live after months of testing and refinement by Will @Barrister & Mann. As we have come to expect from the products out of these stables we have 3 inimitable scents, an irony that they are interpretations of 3 products from the wet-shaving world that are no longer available. It may be a case of homage to the originals, or as I suspect it may be a case of a man who likes scents offering his personal interpretation based on his love of perfume and scents.

I obtained these three via a colleague who travelled to the US on business, I understand that Con @shavetheman will be stocking all three via his online store The Stray Whisker at a price point yet to be determined.

Ingredients
Classic
Cool
Spice

Packaging
The packaging here is beautiful, innovating sturdy and durable as we can expect from the Italians. The bottles feel solid, well made and speak to the care taken with product. The artwork itself reflecting I believe the US Patents in regard to the items depicted on the bottle - a very nice touch that lends a sense of provenance and love of law in this regard. I love the hand feel, the density of the plastic and the care taken with the plastic top. My only comment would be that the sticker placed on the top cap was off centre, and in my opinion not needed. A stamped into the plastic logo or 'herald' in my opinion would have value added the product more than the stickers.

Reserve - Classic
Scent:
Upon lightly agitating then opening the bottle of Classic I was greeted by a powdery oakmoss analogue, citrus, lavender and a hint of Sandalwood - certainly a scent reminiscent of after shaves long gone. It may be that 'real' oak moss is used in these, however I suspect a synthetic analogue - at any rate it is a pleasing smell for fans of this scent. The older wet-shavers will immediately recognise the mimic of Gillettes now discontinued 'Sun Up' aftershave albeit with some intelligent and interesting refinement as we have come to expect from B&M

My initial thoughts are that the concentration of scent oils/perfumes to alcohol is not particularly strong, what I mean by this is essentially that it is a fairly dilute solution. I applied 3 or 4 generous shakes into the palms of my hands as I would any splash and applied generously over my face and neck area. My initial impressions in this regard were found to be accurate, the scent dissipated rapidly and was almost undetectable approximately 2 hours after application.

Skin Feel: The skin feel, as with all Barrister & Mann alcohol based splash products is superb. These are cooling, moisturising, caring splashes that treat your skin superbly for what they are. I would go as far as to compare them to many of the non-alcohol based balms as regards their skin care and post shave properties.

Reserve - Cool

Scent: Fans of Floid Blue will love the Cool with it's subtle notes of lemon, bergamot and lavender. I initially found the bottle scent to be a touch synthetic, but with repeated uses and sampling it is starting to grow on me as I am a big enthusiast for the traditional barbershop scents - this one being a very Italian interpretation with the absence of the powdery musk dry down in favour of sharp, refreshing and bright citrus notes.

As with the classic I found that the scent from the blue has a short life, on the occasions I used it within an hour or two the scent has depleted to a barely detectable level.

Skin Feel: As with the Classic the post shave feel, and skin care properties of this splash are superb and last several hours after application. Absolutely no complaints in this area as to performance. The care taken with ingredients is apparent, and rewards the face superbly.

Reserve - Spice
Scent: Undoubtedly my favourite of the Reserve range, this is unquestionably a homage to the much loved Old Spice of yesteryear with it's rich, warm woody, spicy notes. I immediately get Vanilla, tonka bean and nutmeg out of the bottle with the more subtle nuances becoming noticeable during the dry down. This works immediately for me, the scent profile and notes are superb. Love it!

Unlike both the classic and the cool I found that this one had the most duration of 'face time' at around 3 hours or so. While not exceptional in longevity it was certainly the right direction as to my expectations of a splash. I'm uncertain if this is due to greater concentrations in solution or due to the nature of the individual ingredients themselves.

Skin Feel: Again superb, see the previous descriptions.

Overall
It would be very easy, if perhaps not naive to dismiss this range as dilute with the ratio of oils & perfumes to alcohol in solution found wanting, and it may be quite fair to say that this is in fact the case. However it could also be easily argued that yes, while this is in fact demonstrated and evidenced by the short life of the scents on the face, it can also be interpreted as a case of utility offering a range that deliberately not endure - sometimes we want something that fades and does not cloy.

Another line of reasoning and argument and an important one I must foreground is that these splashes permit the use of an EDT. An EDT as we know is designed and formulated to sustain scent throughout the day where an aftershave, traditionally, is supposed to fade.

My subjective take is that these scents are growing on me and I am mostly undecided if I will keep them in high rotation or not. I found, and commented previously that they do not immediately stand out like others in my line-up however this is the case with other Barrister and Mann soaps and splashes due I suspect to the complexity and composition of the products.

Will loves his scents (I base this on his /r/wicked_edge and /r/wetshaving posts, I do not know or correspond with him personally) and more relevantly he loves to make interesting, complex and nuanced scents within his product range - I base this on my owning all of his soaps and scents. I feel that this range embodies that ideal so I insist on persevering with the Reserve range for a time longer least I miss something truly exceptional.

A Caveat
Thanks for reading, and do please remember: this review is of course based on my purchasing the range as a consumer, with no free samples, inducements or gratuities that could otherwise be construed as introducing bias or favour into this review. Further, my subjective sense of smell and evaluation is employed here - what I do not like, others may love and visa versa.
Another cracking review @todras - thank you!
I only have one B&M splash - Lavanille (which I think is fantastic) - it definitely has a long life and lingers in a subtle and pleasant way well into the afternoon of an early morning shave.
I think you are correct - Will has designed these splashes to be "true" aftershaves and not have a long half-life.
Think i will hold off buying these...

Another cracking review @todras - thank you!
I only have one B&M splash - Lavanille (which I think is fantastic) - it definitely has a long life and lingers in a subtle and pleasant way well into the afternoon of an early morning shave.

Most of the B+M splashes have a much, much longer face-time than the Reserve range in my experience. While they are not known as being exceptionally long lasting, and with the complexity of Will's scents being what they are, I find most of them endure for 3 or 4 hours all things being equal.

Top review @todras - certainly interesting to hear your thoughts and experience of the Reserve range. [emoji106]

They have indeed.

They will be up around midday today.

People will need to get their orders in fast on this one, there are a lot of wet-shavers outside this forum that will pounce on this without a doubt ;)

Have the spice on the way. I hope. I actually want a traditional aftershave. I can wear it with edt then. Hopefully it doesn't clash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the spice on the way. I hope. I actually want a traditional aftershave. I can wear it with edt then. Hopefully it doesn't clash.

It is a close match to the 1960's old spice, so it will work very well with the spicey scents. It has a nice note of sweetness too and overall the scent is not-obtrusive so it should work very well with a suitably paired EDT.

The Spice is very nice indeed!!! I used it today... (y)

Okay so I have read your review, and see that you would almost compare them to non-alcohol based splashes. It leads me to wonder; do you have dry skin?

I do, and I battle with it even without shaving and applying splashes I moisturise twice a day! These days I apply balm two or three times after a shave before using a splash to bring the moisture level back up. I am wondering if these might actually do as they say they do:
"Most alcoholic aftershaves irritate and dehydrate your skin, but not this one. Our proprietary blend of moisturizers helps your skin stay healthy and luxuriously supple without feeling tacky, sticky, or greasy."
It doesn't actually say it hydrates though...

I mostly use PAA and apply liberally. It (some formulas) do leave a tangible layer on your skin and I am fine with this because it keeps the dry at bay which, when working in A/C 10hrs a day is inevitable!

So what you reckon? I see you have the PIF there, but if you say it does as it claims I will just go and buy some! If not, there is no need for me to get involved in the PIF.