Beauty Must Be In The Eye Of The Beholder

Beautiful…

lrSR4lAl.jpg
c1B3Wrsl.jpg

I know your very pro straight razors, but what do you dislike about DE?

In my opinion, most straight razors are vintage and decades old. Problem is, they look decades old with loads of aged spots.

The newer ones are sexy, like a Max Sprecher or a DC Blades, but seeing 400 year old straight razors with worned and honed edges turns me off.

Then comes the maintenance and storage of a straight, too much effort for me to ever be concerned about. Honing, oiling, stropping etc just doesn’t appeal to me personally when I have the ease of a DE or Vector to enjoy, while getting a perfect shave.

I don't dislike DE razors. I even shave with one - occasionally. My question refers to the beauty some see in "safety" razors. I also don't see beauty in a lot of straight razors.

For instance, let's look at the first of your pictures. What do you find beautiful about that razor?

Is it the hande, something that has been mass produced, probably by a computer controlled lathe? Is it the head, something that has probably been mass produced by a computer controlled milling machine?

Please explain what the beauty is that you see?

I don't dislike DE razors. I even shave with one - occasionally. My question refers to the beauty some see in "safety" razors. I also don't see beauty in a lot of straight razors.

For instance, let's look at the first of your pictures. What do you find beautiful about that razor?

Is it the hande, something that has been mass produced, probably by a computer controlled lathe? Is it the head, something that has probably been mass produced by a computer controlled milling machine?

Please explain what the beauty is that you see?

Touche to the above

Often like a woman they’ve got beautiful curves, lines, feel and colouring and to each person they have something that for some reason that stands out.
The vector for instance has curves, and designed in just the right way it’s looks great.
some older DE’s look like blocks but they feel great to use, function well and appreciation of how they came about and were built.

then I like the timeless bronze SB, curves and lines and slots are really handy and it ages beautifully

I find beauty of all razors in the quality of the craftmanship. More specifically to DE when you can see function in the form of a beautifully knurled and balanced handle with curves and grooves to compliment both look and aesthetic. Design of cap and baseplate to provide the perfect gap and exposure while perfectly matching weight of the handle to maintain balance.

I find a certain beauty in vintage razors in the ingenuity and mechanics of the design. From the design of a two-piece razor through to mechanics of the adjustable razor.

qHYxj1y.jpg

To your point modern razors are designed on computers and made on machines but this does not detract from their beauty but does require a different skill from the craftsman.

vK9Gza1.jpg

But this does not make them more beautiful than an expertly crafted straight razor :)

paAZo8t.jpg

I find beauty of all razors in the quality of the craftmanship. More specifically to DE when you can see function in the form of a beautifully knurled and balanced handle with curves and grooves to compliment both look and aesthetic. Design of cap and baseplate to provide the perfect gap and exposure while perfectly matching weight of the handle to maintain balance.

I find a certain beauty in vintage razors in the ingenuity and mechanics of the design. From the design of a two-piece razor through to mechanics of the adjustable razor.

qHYxj1y.jpg

To your point modern razors are designed on computers and made on machines but this does not detract from their beauty but does require a different skill from the craftsman.

vK9Gza1.jpg

But this does not make them more beautiful than an expertly crafted straight razor :)

paAZo8t.jpg

Some lovely eye candy there!