Beginners blades

glenos

.. is a GRANDPA now!
2018 Sabbatical
2015 Sabbatical
Now that I am moving my son's to DE shaving I'm wondering which blades I should throw at them. The boys are 16 and 17 and are transitioning from bum fluff to actual beard hair. They shave when we growl at them enough and have been using some plastic crap. I did at least make them use proraso white and a decent brush.

I have a fair selection of blades from sampler packs and various sources and quite a stock if spoilers, Schick plat plus, Aussie spoilers.

The vintage blades will be wasted in them so I am thinking something like Astra green, vokshods or Derby's.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, I'd start out with something like a basic Derby, Astra or even israeli reds etc. When I got my Son's to change over I gave them 20 mixed basic blades, wouldn't give them vintage or the likes of kai or feathers etc when starting out. Grab them each a stick or block of Alum too might be an idea.

Personna Reds (aka the Personna Platinums) for sure. You could go Derby but they can be a bit sharp and 'non-smooth' whereas the Reds are smoother and probably easier to handle for newbs.

I would hold back on Astras even. I would suggest them as a secondary choice after they have a bit of experience, Gilette Platinums or 7OC Greens would be in that camp too.

FYI I would suggest using these middle of the road blades which are:-

Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Super Stainless
Derby Premium
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (green)
Rapira Super Stainless

Just below the middle of the road blades which are:-

Derby Extra
Gillette Sputnik
Ladas Super Stainless
Perma-Sharp Super
Personna Lab Blue (USA)
Rockwell Blades
Treet Platinum

And finally below the next level of the road blades which are:-

Voskhod

Last edited:
Pretty much most of the thicker, not uber sharp coated blades. Super thin blade's can be tricky which facial types and chatter and well uber sharp can be scary even for those with experience and skill lol depending on the razor they are used in. Decent coated blades that are cheap would be best place to start, but who knows in the end we're all so different only the individual can find what truly works best for themself.

Thanks Guys is got some of, if not all, of those suggestions. I'll toss a few their way and see who survives.
Also may I suggest a very simple basic aftershave using T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent 240ml bottle you can get them at Coles or Woolworths it’s cheap.

Than go to the Natural Health shop in your area and only get a bottle of Natural Glycerin which helps restore moisture add 20 drops maximum, don’t get Animal Glycerin is not good for the skin and also get Tea Tree Antiseptic oil which helps kill bacteria and pimples add 10 drops maximum no more. Don’t forget to shake the bottle first before applying the simple basic aftershave.

Also you can add Pure Vitamin E oil into the basic aftershave add about 10 drops maximum.

Edit:- I’ve stop buying aftershave balm and moisturising cream, because, it’s too much on the face and it’s not good for the skin.

Last edited:
Whatever you chose blade wise - just make sure that they use at least give before changing.

I know you know this but minimising variables is important in the early days

FYI I would suggest using these middle of the road blades which are:-

Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Super Stainless
Derby Premium
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (green)
Rapira Super Stainless

Just below the middle of the road blades which are:-

Derby Extra
Gillette Sputnik
Ladas Super Stainless
Perma-Sharp Super
Personna Lab Blue (USA)
Rockwell Blades
Treet Platinum

And finally below the next level of the road blades which are:-

Voskhod

Hey Speedy... What do yyou mean by "middle of the road" blades?

Thank you

Derby Extra

What are the Derby Extras like for a DE wet shaver beginner. My sons says that he likes the Astras but he churns thru the packs at twice the rate that i do - but maybe that's got something to do with the fact that i pay for them :) The Derbys seem quite a bit cheaper. Does that mean not as good?

I dont want to get him anything too sharp at this point as i feel he isn't always as careful with his shave as he could be.

Last edited:
I personally haven't heard good things about the Derby Extras and wasn't overly fond of them when I started shaving. I found the Derby USTA to be a nicer blade for me, but a bit more expensive.

If price is your concern, VShod has Derby Extra & Derby Premium at $1.00 each, for 5 blades.

Having tried a few more blades since using some Derby's I'm inclined to recommend the Euromax Platinums that are $2.50 for 10 blades and that I found to be smooth and sharp, but with poor longevity. Probably perfect for him if he tosses them so quickly.

Am I the only one that isn't a fan of the Astra's?

I've tried the green and blue packet and found them to be a bit too dull. I'm still yet to find the perfect in between an Astra and a Feather. I absolutely love how sharp the Feathers are but still get 1 or 2 tiny weepers here and then.

I've tried the green and blue packet and found them to be a bit too dull. I'm still yet to find the perfect in between an Astra and a Feather. I absolutely love how sharp the Feathers are but still get 1 or 2 tiny weepers here and then.
Nope, #%@$ Astra's! Can't stand them, but my younger brother loves them, go figure :ROFLMAO: I'd use them as box openers and that's it

Nope, #%@$ Astra's! Can't stand them, but my younger brother loves them, go figure :ROFLMAO: I'd use them as box openers and that's it

So glad to see I'm not alone!

I see them always recommended as a first timer kind of blade, they were given to me to try by a buddy as well, I really didn't like them at all!

I prefer the Wilkinson Swords in the black box over Astra's all day long.

It really depends on a few things as to whether a blade works for me.

It really comes down to trial and error and trying different combinations before writing off a blade as from personal experience I enjoy Astra Greens but have had the odd dud blade but still hasn't put me off using them. Same with Feathers but YMMV.

How long have you been shaving, what tools do you use and what types of blades have you tried as I'm certain you'll find one that suits your needs, seeing as Astra-Feather is a large gap...?

Best advise for any newbie is to grab a sample pack or make one up yourself with 5-20 of the popular blades and work your way from their as what works for my beard won't necessarily work for you.

Have you tried Gillette Rubies as once @Nico gave me a few tucks I've been hooked as they shave super smooth and work in almost everything I have, be it a slant, OC, 34C, Rockwell 6S or R41. I never thought to try them as they're cheap but they've replaced Astra's for me - although difference in results depending on the date of production but still a consistent blade. Another favourite is the Nacet but not as smooth and one I enjoy in my Rockwell 6S as its sharper and can drag it out past 5+ shaves before needing to bin.

At the end of the day it all boils down to a range of factors, from experience, technique, gear, preparation and effort as I no longer chase BBS results with every shave as I'm less likely to get the odd cut or worse yet razor burn ;) I feel my shaves are comfortable and not just for the sake of shaving.

One certainty is I will never go back to cart shaving no matter what as my last shave using a disposable was horrible and gave me in grown hairs. If its wasn't for me joining P&C and learning from experienced members I would never have known how enjoyable shaving can be. Saying that I'd be a richer person but well worth the investment!

So glad to see I'm not alone!

I see them always recommended as a first timer kind of blade, they were given to me to try by a buddy as well, I really didn't like them at all!

I prefer the Wilkinson Swords in the black box over Astra's all day long.
Hahaha see I hate Wilkinson Swords be they the white/blue or black versions as they shave harsh for me. We're truly spoiled for choice as I have many samples that I've yet to try as I'm content sticking with the few blades that work.

Stupid of me as I'm certain to find some that work but too lazy to try new things I guess. If you asked me starting out I would've happily stuck with Astra's but over time I have grown to appreciate that there are many many different blades out there - some truly great but many not as great. as they say YMMV :)

To my mind, this is all about the razor. A mild razor needs a sharp blade and an efficient razor needs a smooth blade, if you want a relatively foolproof shave for a beginner. Smooth blades in mild razors just don't get close enough for most of us with fencing wire stubble to get through the day but it may be OK for a teenager starting out. My Feather Artist Club razor and blade is the ultimate combination of sharp and efficient but the trade off is that a high level of concentration is required. Definitely not for a quick whip around the face in the morning with bleary eyes and / or a hangover.

Most of the blades mentioned above are relatively mild / smooth and would be fairly harmless in a "middle of the road" razor like a DE89. Fine for starting out but the results are unlikely to be BBS or particularly efficient - think multiple passes etc.

I no longer chase BBS results with every shave as I'm less likely to get the odd cut or worse yet razor burn ;) I feel my shaves are comfortable and not just for the sake of shaving.

This right here. I go with and across the grain and then call it a day. It gets me a fantastic shave that I am more than happy with and cuts out the rashes when I rumble with the kids or go crazy smooching the little one on her cheeks!

The BBS shave for me is just not worth the ingrowns and rash that I have to deal with after it.

Hey Speedy... What do you mean by "middle of the road" blades?

Thank you
G'day @AussieTanker the middle of the road blade means, a blade is just right for everyday shaving-like Astra SP, that works almost all safety razors regardless of the aggression level of the shave.

YMMV! depending on how thick is your stubble, skin type and the type of level aggression of safety razors from the very aggressive to the very mild shave.

I was taught when using a very aggressive safety razor like the R41 works best in a mild to the very mild blade and a very mild to mid-aggressive safety razor works best using a very sharp and very smooth blade.

For example, see link https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/gillette-stainless-red-white.5208/post-163908

Some wet shavers like to use a very sharp blade-like Feather Hi-Stainless into a very aggressive safety razor like the R41, because, they can shave almost every day and there stubble is a very thick hard course without issue.

What are the Derby Extras like for a DE wet shaver beginner. My sons say that he likes the Astras but he churns thru the packs at twice the rate that I do - but maybe that's got something to do with the fact that I pay for them :) The Derbys seem quite a bit cheaper. Does that mean not as good?

I don't want to get him anything too sharp at this point as I feel he isn't always as careful with his shave as he could be.

I'm not a huge fan of Derby Extra, because, I'm allergic to there coating on the blade that gives me serious skin irritation and skin rash. I haven't tried Derby Premium and I wouldn't bother.

Last edited: