Best soap for a shaving mug use?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
No, I'm not the mug...but I have an Old Spice shaving mug that's empty.
Doesn't have a lid.
I currently keep all my soaps in their own closed container/tub as I have had a couple of soaps dry out in the past.
If I bung a soap puck into the Old Spice mug what soap is best at not drying out?
Williams Mug soap? (I have only heard about this soap, and it may be crap anyway?).
Something that is happy to sit in the mug with no further attention apart from being used now and then?
Maybe I need a croap, or cream instead?
Or...do I get a lid/make a lid for the mug?
Thanks.

Doesn't have a lid.
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/472...f=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&col=1

il_794xN.1072453515_sda8.jpg

Really like them but $50 with postage, so went with broken coffee mug and spare silicone lid

U4t5Isz.jpg

In answer to your question @Blackie I think any hard Italian soap is OK and doesn't mind drying out a bit. Proraso lid is not exactly air tight
PIF'd the Williams and kept Col. Conk so what would I know :)

How about Stirling sample pucks they are perfect size and you have just given me the idea to use the Old Spice mug instead of lather bowl

Another lid option if you dont want the drink hole is Betty Crocker Icing container
https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/old-spice-mug-owners.49162/

Thanks guys.
Yes, I saw those Etsy lids but too dear.
As for the coffee mug lid...good thought, I'll look into that (that made me remember about a guy we nick-named 'mirror' as he was always saying "I'll look into that").
Soaps...I don't know. I just thought that something named 'xxx Mug Soap' meant it was designed to last well in a mug.
I do have a Col Conk Bay rum lurking here and a Haslinger Coconut and they should fit OK for a test.
Hmmmm, another new direction opens in the world of wet shaving.

I like Williams and MWF in open mugs

Quick question guys.

I had an old spice mug "thrown in" as part of the deal when i bought a couple of brushes. Until i read this thread i thought that i was going to try to use it as a lather mug. Seems that's not what the ridges inside of the mug are for :(

But if i was to be rebellious and try to use it as a lather mug, how can i sterilize it first? It actually looks pretty clean. I was thinking of chucking it in the dishwasher but wasn't sure if it was "dish washer safe' and whether the dishwasher would damage the print on the outside of the mug.

Appreciate the feedback and advice.

I believe Frugal Shave makes red lids to fit these mugs

Yes they do. I have exchanged a few messages with him over a number of matters recently. He seems like a great guy. I wanted a few items from his shop and he was happy to combine them all together so that the postage was reasonable.