Best source of 0.1 micron diamond paste?

Mistertaz

Hi guys!

I was just wondering where people are getting their 0.1 micron diamond paste for leather and balsa strops.

THK from Hong Kong seem to have affordable pastes, but only down to 0.25 micron.

Also, how does paste compare to spray? Is the oil based or water based carrier better?

Thanks!
Taz.

Hi guys!

I was just wondering where people are getting their 0.1 micron diamond paste for leather and balsa strops.

THK from Hong Kong seem to have affordable pastes, but only down to 0.25 micron.

Also, how does paste compare to spray? Is the oil based or water based carrier better?

Thanks!
Taz.
There is at least one supplyer in Australia. I'll see if I can find them for you. 0.1μm paste is also available from https://techdiamondtools.com/

I have yet to find anything below 0.25μm out of Asia.

I haven't used diamond spray so cannot comment on it. Sounds as though it could be a bit wasteful.

A s for water or oil based carrier, both work well and I haven't noticed a difference.

In Australia, there is Kemet (https://www.kemet.com.au/products/toolroom/diamond-paste) but they charge like a wounded bull unless you are buying in bulk.

Another Australian supplyer is Rubyvale Cut & Slice (https://www.cutandslice.com.au/diamond-paste). Price and quality is comparable to Tech Diamond Tools in the US. Personally I would prefer to use Rubyvale.

200k grit is about 0.1μm
100k grit is about 0.25μm
50k grit is about 0.5μm

If buying from Rubyvale, get their 250k grit to use as 0.1μm.

If you have a choice between monocrystaline and polycrystal, choose the mono. They both work however the mono works better (quicker).

You may also have a choice of concentrations. 10% is the thinnest and easiest to spread. 50% is the thickest and hardest to spread. I use 25% (preferred) or 50% and thin it down with alcohol before applying it to balsa.

If maintaining your SR on a 0.1μm after each shave, get two tubes of 0.1μm as you will use that at about twice the rate that you use the 0.5μm and 0.25μm.

If you have a choice between monocrystaline and polycrystal, choose the mono. They both work however the mono works better (quicker).

You may also have a choice of concentrations. 10% is the thinnest and easiest to spread. 50% is the thickest and hardest to spread. I use 25% (preferred) or 50% and thin it down with alcohol before applying it to balsa.

If maintaining your SR on a 0.1μm after each shave, get two tubes of 0.1μm as you will use that at about twice the rate that you use the 0.5μm and 0.25μm.
Rubyvale looks like the best local option. Have you bought from them before? I’ll email them to confirm the concentration and micron size of their 250k diamond paste.

I’ll probably buy the 0.1um paste from them, and the rest from THK in HK.

Rubyvale (AU) replied and stated that the 250k diamond paste is 0-0.25um and "high" concentration (5ml for $16 + $10 postage).

TechDiamondTools (US) has 0-0.1um polycrystalline diamond paste at 50% concentration, but postage from the US is still ridiculous.

THK (HK) replied that they don't have 0.1um diamond paste currently.

I've also found ShaversDelight (UK) who have 0.1um diamond paste at a reasonable price through their eBay and Etsy stores, and have contacted them directly also.

It may seem expensive with international postage but remember that a 5g tube will (should) last you 5 to 10 years or much more.

I bought my 5g tubes about 2 years ago and, with them, have honed up well over 60 different straight razors. I have used about 1g of each 0.5μm and 0.25μm and about 2g of 0.1μm paste. I also use the 0.1μm to maintain my SR's after each daily shave.

From memory, I bought my pasted from TechDiamond directly on Amazon for about USD 45 for three tubes including shipping. That works out pretty cheap on a per year or per SR basis. It is probably somewhat more now with inflation.

Using my diamond pastes is costly me about 1¢ per shave.

It may seem expensive with international postage but remember that a 5g tube will (should) last you 5 to 10 years or much more.

I bought my 5g tubes about 2 years ago and, with them, have honed up well over 60 different straight razors. I have used about 1g of each 0.5μm and 0.25μm and about 2g of 0.1μm paste. I also use the 0.1μm to maintain my SR's after each daily shave.

From memory, I bought my pasted from TechDiamond directly on Amazon for about USD 45 for three tubes including shipping. That works out pretty cheap on a per year or per SR basis. It is probably somewhat more now with inflation.

Using my diamond pastes is costly me about 1¢ per shave.
The postage on the TechDiamondTools website is crazy currently, but found a reasonable price on eBay through eBay seller “marystore789”.

I think I’ll purchase the TechDiamondTools paste as they seem the most transparent about the quality and concentration.

The postage on the TechDiamondTools website is crazy currently, but found a reasonable price on eBay through eBay seller “marystore789”.

I think I’ll purchase the TechDiamondTools paste as they seem the most transparent about the quality and concentration.
I just checked on the TechDiamond web site and OUCH! Postage of AUD 100 is getting a bit rich. When I ordered mine through Amazon in 2020, postage was about AUD 25.

or use Planet Express and add a few cheap vintage straight razors, scales and hardware as I did
:unsure: Might have been a few soaps, razors, aftershaves and brushes as well

Hi guys!

Thanks!
Taz.
is there a particular reason you want Diamond paste?
as FerrisOxide comes in 0.1um and will give a similar finish, maybe better as it tends to not be as sharp a partial as Diamond and can be sourced through Artist paint pigment suppliers etc in Aus, the last lot I got was from Melbourne with some 0.3um ChromiumOxide both in 100g dry powder form and can be add your choice of application medium, I have used wax as crayons, water as a spray & mineral oil as a paint all work well for intended applications on balsa, cotton and Leather strops

is there a particular reason you want Diamond paste?
as FerrisOxide comes in 0.1um and will give a similar finish, maybe better as it tends to not be as sharp a partial as Diamond and can be sourced through Artist paint pigment suppliers etc in Aus, the last lot I got was from Melbourne with some 0.3um ChromiumOxide both in 100g dry powder form and can be add your choice of application medium, I have used wax as crayons, water as a spray & mineral oil as a paint all work well for intended applications on balsa, cotton and Leather strops
Interesting. It just seems like the current trend is for diamond paste, even though the particle size is the same.

yes a trend is what it may be, the diamonds last longer as the Ferrox & Chrox will breakdown over time in use but this makes the particle finer, and still lasts a a very long time, if there is colour there are particles to use

try looking for these Kremer pigments
Part numbers
Iron Oxide # 48100 is 0.1 micron
Chrome Oxide #44200 is 0.3 micro
These will cover you excellently

0.1micron is in the 250,000 grit range depending on the source of information, do you think you can really feel or notice at this level
all chrox, ferrox and diamond pastes are an average grit size. The range of difference is dependant on the supplier, the Kremer pigments are considered very high quality and consistency though
I can definitely notice the difference when shaving with a straight razor off 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm diamond pastes. Interestingly, my best shaves come off 0.1μm followed by 0.5μm and the worst is 0.25μm. Can't explain why.

I am also very careful not to get any cross contamination between my pasted balsa strops. Don't believe her, size does matter.