Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK, let's have some fun with the descriptions applied to straight razors on online auction sites.

I'll start with this one - www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Straight-Razor-MAGNETIC-PLATYPUS-EXTRA-HOLLOW-GROUND-Wald-Solingen-/142145263125

Description: In OK vintage condition, unfortunately there are some chips to the edge of the blade.

s-l1600.jpg

If you look at the blade very closely and it looks like someone behaving like Jack the Ripper, why would someone on earth would be willing to buy a complete and dead worn out blade.to shave with it.

Or you can use it to only cut up some slice of cheese with these worn out straight and not to shave with it.

Last edited:
If you look at the blade very closely and it looks like someone behaving like Jack the Ripper, why would someone on earth would be willing to buy a complete and dead worn out blade.to shave with it.

Or you can use it to only cut up some slice of cheese with these worn out straight and not to shave with it.

For the scales. The rest is thrown in the bin... unless you're keen on a 4/8 blade.

I want to know how you do this to a blade. Only thing I can think of is using them to open tin cans (press in lid - eg paint tin).

@Mark1966 I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the game is here. What do we do?

For the scales. The rest is thrown in the bin... unless you're keen on a 4/8 blade.

I want to know how you do this to a blade. Only thing I can think of is using them to open tin cans (press in lid - eg paint tin).

@Mark1966 I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the game is here. What do we do?

What do we do? Rant about eBay descriptions that bear no resemblance to the item?

I don't know really - just saw these and thought - are you for real!

@Mark are these repairable?

:) I have so much to learn. Here am I all these years thinking that type of chunk out of the blade is purely to fit neatly over the bottom lip to get those pesky whiskers just before the real soft fleshy bits.
The bigger chipped blade should work well. Not really sharp, maybe a bit rough and might fit the contour of the lip ok? :)
Ok time for a straight razor shave.

"Good condition for its age" ...people say that about me!!!

"Good condition for it's age." :) that's so optimistic :) If I was 400 I may very well be "Good condition for it's age." :)