Best way to improve technique while using brush....

gillettedeguy

Hello. This is my first post on here, so here I go. Just for the past few months I've been practicing using my brushes. I have two. An old timey one with a wooden handle and it's very tiny and an Omega brush (unknown model/knot). I am expecting more brushes sooner or later and I just wanted to make my first post worth it to ask the fine folks here, what is the best way to improve my technique while using brushes? I will add that even though I've been using my two ones for a few months, I still feel I'm starting out. I'm not that great at using brushes- yet. Thanks for reading my post and I will be grateful if anyone has tips.

Stick to one or two different soaps untill you are really happy with the lather you making and can nail it every time.

Start with bowl lathering. I stuffed around with face lathering in the beginning and struggled with it. Using a bowl is heaps easier. Even now almost 12 months on, I can't get a lather by face lathering anywhere near as good as on a bowl.

Check out the lather thread on the forums here to see what people are producing.

I have not tried a badger brush, but I find synthetics are way easier to use then boars.

My use brushed you mean making lather?

You well get quite a bit of info if you do a quick search. Will try to find something after work

My use brushed you mean making lather?

You well get quite a bit of info if you do a quick search. Will try to find something after work
I'm a little confused by your response. Are you asking me if I mean making lather by using a brush? If so, yes. I'm still learning my technique with loading lather with soap. I have to admit I'm tired of shaving cream. It's not as exciting as soap. Soaps come in different exciting scents and they make better lather than cream.

I agree with @LukehGee . I find bowl lathering much easier as you can see the lather and adjust it. Captain's Choice lather bowls are what I would recommend, but a cereal bowl will also work fine.

Soaps behave quite differently (sometimes within the same brand due to different formulations) so expect to have to change the water ratio in the bowl.
If you're after advice on a particular soap, post it here and someone should be able to give you some info on lathering it.

I'm a little confused by your response. Are you asking me if I mean making lather by using a brush? If so, yes. I'm still learning my technique with loading lather with soap. I have to admit I'm tired of shaving cream. It's not as exciting as soap. Soaps come in different exciting scents and they make better lather than cream.
That is what I meant. I am usually more articulate but was a bit rushed and didn’t read before I posted. Sorry.

There is a video about lathering on the puck that helped me out when I was starting. Will try and dig it up.

Stick to one or two different soaps untill you are really happy with the lather you making and can nail it every time.

Start with bowl lathering. I stuffed around with face lathering in the beginning and struggled with it. Using a bowl is heaps easier. Even now almost 12 months on, I can't get a lather by face lathering anywhere near as good as on a bowl.

Check out the lather thread on the forums here to see what people are producing.

I have not tried a badger brush, but I find synthetics are way easier to use then boars.

I would agree with all of this, except bowl lathering.I never got on with it. It took too long, was inconsistent with results, and left me stuff to clean up.

The advantage of face lathering is you get to soften the beard and get instant feedback about the state of the lather. Just looking at it isn't the same. Also, most soaps and creams will take far more water than many beginners think, and bowl lathering can often result in mr whippy lather that's far too thick, which often means it's not as slick.

Given you use soaps, the main thing is using a damp, not wet brush, and loading up the brush. Use more than you think, and add drips of water to keep lifting soap off.