Bit of help with image size using Nexus5 Phone for forum posting

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
Apologies if this is the incorrect section in which to make this post!

My question is: I use a Nexus 5 (Open Camera app) to take my photos and then post them to this fine forum, my first and most recent offering came out way to large when displayed in the 2016 SOTD thread - to be frank it was borderline inappropriate for the flow of the thread.

I'd like to keep the resolution, but reduce the image size when displayed in-line within a thread if possible. My camera is currently set to a resolution of 3264x2448.

Any help, suggestion or scorn at my ignorance appreciated. I have both linux and windows pc's here to play with, I just have little to no experience posting pictures to forums.

cheers

If you do it from your pc - I'd suggest installing GIMP - works both from your PC and Linux system - it free and FANTASTIC.

If you don't want to do any other post processing - just open the picture, go on Image, Scale and then scale to ~800 X 600 pixels, but leave the resolution (dpi) the same.

Then got to File, Export and save it as a new JPG file (don't overwrite original, you might want it in the future) and use that.

If you want to do it all on your phone - just get a small image editor from the google store, that has a scaling capability. I forgot, what I use, but there are a ton out there - or maybe your picture editor on your phone can do it already?

I any case you want to scale the picture first and just make sure you scale both height and width at the same ratio, or your picture will look...funny. From your resolution 800 x 600 works a treat and looks great on the web - most of my pictures are that size

I upload pics from my iphone to Flickr using the option on the phone and from Flickr on my PC post the BBcode into here and it gives me the option of choosing the image size. That is what works for me ...

Right, so it's much easier than I suspected.. a bit of poking around on imgur, or even a resize in GiMP would have done it.

Many thanks for the tips gents, appreciate it :)