Blackbird (phase 2).

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
After regular use of the Blackbird with new OC plate I thought I'd like to try an SB plate.
But...not available online. So I emailed Shane and asked if/when the black oxide SB plate would be on site again.
Shane replied that he is currently evaluating if he will bother to continue the black oxide finish, and that he had no stock of the SB plate.
But...he did have 2 SB plates with faulty black oxide finish. Too bad to sell so they were just sitting there..."Did I want them"?
Ummm...yes, actually I do. So for not much money I had 2 SB plates in the mail. Arrived a couple of days ago.
One is quite bad and will be either polished, or Cerakoted (black of course), or ignored.
The other is acceptable (but certainly not up to Shane's level of quality).
Had my second shave this morning and as per first shave used Arlington soap, and a Rubie blade.
Now I like the Blackbird! The SB is noticeably smoother than the OC.
Nice and close shave too.
I think my ss Karve F (SB) plate would beat it for efficiency and smoothness, but by just a 'whisker'. The Karve G plate leaves the Blackbird in the dust.
Will I keep it?
Don't know...will see how it goes over the next few months.
The Karve beats it, so no real need to keep it. But it is a good looking razor, and nimble too.
I shall ponder on this each morning now as I shave with it.
It beats my ss polished Timeless .95 OC in performance but not in 'looks'. However the Timeless is staying.
I might wait for a flood of the new Muhle R41GS to hit the BST, and decide then on the Blackbirds fate.
Hope all you guys are safe and out of harms way.

I might wait for a flood of the new Muhle R41GS to hit the BST, and decide then on the Blackbirds fate.
That'll work:
1. Someone here will rave about how the R41GS is a timeless classic...
2. Every man and his dog will rush to buy one...
3. @Errol will review it, declare it to be "just another razor"...
4. Suddenly everyone dumps their R41GS on the BST for half what they paid...
Perfect. :p

That'll work:
1. Someone here will rave about how the R41GS is a timeless classic...
2. Every man and his dog will rush to buy one...
3. @Errol will review it, declare it to be "just another razor"...
4. Suddenly everyone dumps their R41GS on the BST for half what they paid...
Perfect. :p
And you will hint to Mrs Gargravarr that you may want one and that there is a half-price one somewhere

At least you know what you like!
Says he to a man who's just spent half the evening idly looking at reviews of the Blackland Sabre. :facepalm: I'm an idiot. Or maybe not a total idiot, I seem to go hot and cold on the idea alternately. If I had other GEM razors, it might make more sense... :unsure: