Blackland Era on Youtube.

neongas

Noticed a few shave-tubers been using the Blackland Era. Kensurfs used one with the mildest plate and a Gillette Wilkinsword (India). From the video even with the mildest plate and that blade the Era looks very efficient.

Chris aka IamCBD has a few videos shaving with different plates as well as an interview with Shane where they discuss the Era.

3D printed in stainless steel
Shane mentioned how he's hopeful of the Era being a success so the makers can use the techniques to possibly make razors in materials other than 17-4 SS, such as Titanium as the process involves 3D printing, MIM powdered metals & CNC the handles all in one.

Shane mentioned how he's hopeful of the Era being a success so the makers can use the techniques to possibly make razors in materials other than 17-4 SS, such as Titanium as the process involves 3D printing, MIM powdered metals & CNC the handles all in one.

There's a couple of razor makers to whom I suggested MIM-Ti razors, as this is not new technology and not much different to MIM-SS razor manufacture.

They appreciated it and said they'll consider for next product release, so let's see.

Noticed a few shave-tubers been using the Blackland Era. Kensurfs used one with the mildest plate and a Gillette Wilkinsword (India). From the video even with the mildest plate and that blade the Era looks very efficient.

Ken's beard is not coarse...no wonder practically any razor he uses is sufficient for him.
He's kind of lucky in that sense!

There's a couple of razor makers to whom I suggested MIM-Ti razors, as this is not new technology and not much different to MIM-SS razor manufacture.

They appreciated it and said they'll consider for next product release, so let's see.

How I understood Shane explaining it was that the likes of Rockwell/Supply use MIM molds to mix powdered metals which are both costly and difficult to alter, whereas the company he's using have a 3D printer that layers the powder with a bonding agent, allowing them to tweak things???

It works when producing small parts for guns but never tried on a razor and so far it looks possible and the plates are stackable despite having different gaps. Really neat technology that's growing as they work through the Era and I expect him to release a few new models using this process as much cheaper to produce.

Ken's beard is not coarse...no wonder practically any razor he uses is sufficient for him.
I notice that with many of the YT shavers as not many have thick growth, barring maybe GeoFatboy :)

I notice that with many of the YT shavers as not many have thick growth, barring maybe GeoFatboy :)
Strangely I have dense head hair with soft fine individual strands, but not that dense stubble which is practically sandpaper on day 2.

Strangely I have dense head hair with soft fine individual strands, but not that dense stubble which is practically sandpaper on day 2.

That's what always concerns me when reading reviews because I don't know about the beard characteristics.

Watching YouTube reviews really brought home how the majority of feedback is useless for me.

That's what always concerns me when reading reviews because I don't know about the beard characteristics.

Watching YouTube reviews really brought home how the majority of feedback is useless for me.
I learned a good lesson when I tried an Astra after hearing really good things from a few people. I very nearly didn't even finish one shave with it was it really didn't suit me. As they say, YMMV.

I learned a good lesson when I tried an Astra after hearing really good things from a few people. I very nearly didn't even finish one shave with it was it really didn't suit me. As they say, YMMV.
I often refer to what @SpeedyPC wrote in another Thread about how he spent 2 years trialing different blades to see what worked in what razor and as much as blade exposer, gaps play an important part I strongly believe that a blade and lather play a key role in determining the characteristics of a shave.

For example Astra's don't work well in more efficient razors but I didn't mind them in the 6S or 34C whereas some blades such as Wizamet excel in nearly all razors that I have tried.

I used to take interest in YT reviews but these days I tend to shy away and read the thoughts of an average user on a forum and having the Weekly Reviews from @Errol helps me to form an educated decision as his opinions have guided me to some happy purchases and I look forward to his thoughts on the Era when/if he choses to pick one up. I'm sure it will be a success but not really targeted to somebody like me as I would lean more towards the Blackbird scale as opposed to the starter looking for a safe shave... YMMV

I often refer to what @SpeedyPC wrote in another Thread about how he spent 2 years trialing different blades to see what worked in what razor and as much as blade exposer, gaps play an important part I strongly believe that a blade and lather play a key role in determining the characteristics of a shave.

For example Astra's don't work well in more efficient razors but I didn't mind them in the 6S or 34C whereas some blades such as Wizamet excel in nearly all razors that I have tried.

I used to take interest in YT reviews but these days I tend to shy away and read the thoughts of an average user on a forum and having the Weekly Reviews from @Errol helps me to form an educated decision as his opinions have guided me to some happy purchases and I look forward to his thoughts on the Era when/if he choses to pick one up. I'm sure it will be a success but not really targeted to somebody like me as I would lean more towards the Blackbird scale as opposed to the starter looking for a safe shave... YMMV
That's a good point about blades and razors. I might have to give the Astras another go in the 72 to give them a chance to shine.

That's a good point about blades and razors. I might have to give the Astras another go in the 72 to give them a chance to shine.
Refer to the chart and you'll see Astra's listed as middle of the road so should work better with the Lupo 72 or milder shavers like the DE89/34C.
https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/gillette-stainless-red-white.5208/post-163908

I rarely use them these days as find the odd blade rubbish first shave with a preference for the Blues as just that bit sharper... Happy Shaves!

When I started this caper I was keen to like some of the cheaper blades so I'd save money. Now that I realise how cheap it is compared to buying cartridges, I'm more than happy to find the blades that work best and buy in bulk once I find a good deal. I saw carts on sale the other day for $35 for not that many - you can get plenty of Minoras or Nacets for $35, and the shave experience will be heaps better too.