Blade Metallurgy from the Golden Era

Perhaps a forum only run of REX121 would be fun
Certainly an impressive steel for high speed cutting tools, and no doubt will make a good field and all-purpose knife.
The lower Cr content would likely preclude it from razor blade applications, due to the higher rate of corrosion.
However, it would be fun to shave with a brand-spanker. (y)

Certainly an impressive steel for high speed cutting tools, and no doubt will make a good field and all-purpose knife.
The lower Cr content would likely preclude it from razor blade applications, due to the higher rate of corrosion.
However, it would be fun to shave with a brand-spanker. (y)
I’ve been playing with some fun steels lately like M4 and zdp-189, it’s amazing the world folk walk into once they find out there arnt just two types of steel- stainless and non stainless.

Yep, if it is a basic hand tool I would much prefer 'vintage' as they just last and last - some of the gear out of the UK from the 1930s - 1950s is still the best you can get, not sure what happened from the 1960s onwards!

The world got that little bit better with our births....:whistle::whistle:

I’ve been playing with some fun steels lately like M4 and zdp-189, it’s amazing the world folk walk into once they find out there arnt just two types of steel- stainless and non stainless.
Nice - those met powder blades have excellent performance.
I am a sucker for D2, but probably because it is the alloy of choice for my favourite Blacksmith. In non-stainless, I like Aogami Super Steel (Hitachi Blue 2).

Nice - those met powder blades have excellent performance.
I am a sucker for D2, but probably because it is the alloy of choice for my favourite Blacksmith. In non-stainless, I like Aogami Super Steel (Hitachi Blue 2).
Very nice! I’ve been trying to pick up some super blue but it’s not used as often as I’d like and it’s a bit costly as a result on the secondary market.
On that I’m waiting on the release of some VTOKU-2 on a spyderco Stretch-