Blade storage - what do you use?

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
As many of you know, I have a large blade stash. I have come to the decision that it has become unwieldy and needs to be organised and stored in a proper manner.

I am looking for wooden boxes. I like wood, and in most cases the boxes are square which means the blades pack in better. Most plastic storage systems are stackable which means they do not have square corners/vertical walls.

The first idea off the blocks is a cigar box. Relatively cheap but not so easy to get here, and sourcing from the US ends up being quite expensive for postage.

Have you found any handy ways of storing your loose blade packs?

Same here Mitsi.

I'm looking for a way to store mine as I now have over 200 blades and am currently storing them in one of the cardboard boxes my last MensBiz order came in.

I'm going to Devlin's on Monday - a cigar smoking place in Subiaco - I'll have a look for a nice cigar box now you've put the thought in my head.

I gotta come up with some way to store all my accoutrement, shit's getting out of hand.

If I can get a couple of cigar boxes free or cheap, I will report back here and maybe flick you one if I get some.

Sounds good.

I saw this one on eBay and it looks the goods, although I doubt it has the height to stack the packs on their sides. There are some bigger/deeper ones but they are quite a bit more expensive.

We have a mob called Tobacco Station with a shop locally. Might call in and have a look, see if they can't sell me a box or at least let me know when one is ready to go.

I am not into smoking cigarettes at all as I find it a disgusting habit, although cigars are probably passable as a gentlemanly pursuit. At least you are smoking a whole unadulterated leaf as opposed to all the additives that you get in cut or finished ciggies. You may have noticed that I have not added a tobacco section yet. I might add a dedicated cigar section later if demand shows it is warranted.

I was hoping that someone would have seen some sort of cool box to use somewhere like Ikea or similar. I know there have been some great things posted on B&B about ways of 'Improving your Den' which mainly has been to do with the bathroom cabinets they can get from Home Depot. I know someone had this awesome box that they but blades and razors in, and there was a special spot for their Moss Scuttle on top which had a velvet cutout on top which just happened to be the perfect size. If you see anything like that, snap a pic and let us know the details.

I scored two cigar boxes today from Devlins.

I can fit twenty by four packs of blades in each.

Twenty deep and four across.

They aren't very ornate though; lovely big Quitline sticker on the lid.

Monsta, do you want one?

IMG_1812.jpg

saw this at Ikea.

$14.95. Made from Birch.

It's a kitchen/cutlery storage thingy.

rationell-cutlery-tray-basic-unit-birch__0107296_PE256912_S4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough.

Maybe you need a bathroom cabinet you can mount on a wall and lock, I saw some nice ones at Ikea for $49.

I think I might hit up a couple of mates who are cabinet makers to make me one.

Something out of Jarrah, that always looks nice.

Last edited:
I am thinking some of the bigger jewellery boxes (with the multiple drawers) might be a good thing to get.

I am not looking for anything built like a tank (and anything built from Jarrah qualifies). More of a nicely shaped box which fits blade packs nicely.

A couple of thoughts:

This one caught my eye - slide box

Or how about a 2-drawer jewellery box?

Judging by the second pic, you are looking for something built like a tank.

Custom made Corian is another idea, I know I can get something made out of a sheet easily enough.

I bought a 13 litre plastic roller box from the Reject Shop that cost $5 for my blades. It is now too small:eek:h:

I bought a 13 litre plastic roller box from the Reject Shop that cost $5 for my blades. It is now too small:eek:h:
Oh, one of those roll under the bed jobs? That's not a bad idea. I think I would need to buy two as i already have enough GBE's to fill one alone :embarrest:

Plastic razor blade holders take up a lot of space. Anytime I get blades packed like that I remove the blades and discard the plastic junk. The blades are usually paper wrapped so no worries there. I recently got these blades from a medical supply company. As you can see its a small cardboard box that holds 100 blades. It extremely compact. On another note these are the best blades I have ever used. Extremely sharp and smooth.

PersonnaMed001.jpg

I recently got these blades from a medical supply company. As you can see its a small cardboard box that holds 100 blades. It extremely compact. On another note these are the best blades I have ever used. Extremely sharp and smooth.
I got some of these last week. I was also struck how small the package was for 100 blades, however when you just put all the blades in one box there is quite a bit of space saving to be made. I would easily fit 12,000 blades into my NOS Bleue Extra box which only fits 2000 blades. They aren't exactly packaged in a space efficient way shall we say!

Hey, How do you guys store blades that are in use, I guess you have a few on the go at once?
Blades in use as in in the razors themselves, or just open and ready to be used?

If it is in a razor then that is where it stays, unless it its a carbon-steel blade. But I have very few carbon steel blades.

Otherwise, open packets of blades reside in my drawer in the bathroom.

So seeing as you get 3 or 4 shaves from a blade you don't swap different blades whilst you have one on the go?

Not me, the only blade in use is the one in the razor.

I do have a problem storing used ones though. I use the plastic dispensers most of them come in. I don't want a large blade bank as I've kids around and not a good idea to keep a tin of rusty blades handy. I'd like to find something cheap, and big enough for a few weeks blades, then bin it.

get one of those money "dollar bill" tins from a $2 shop.

That's what I use to put my spent blades in.

So seeing as you get 3 or 4 shaves from a blade you don't swap different blades whilst you have one on the go?

Your comment doesn't make sense.
I get 4-5 shaves out of a blade, that's not a very long time for a start. Secondly, why swap in a different blade when the existing one is usable? It's only going to be usable for a short time (less than a week), so I use it for that time.

I had a feather in a tech, a israeli super plat in a NEW Improved and a GBE in a slim while I was evaluating them (new to the NI, new to the GBE, not really a fan of the tech)

Most of the time unless testing new things, I don't change razor or blade until the blade is done for.
But I don't store blades with maybe 2 shaves worth on them* anywhere in particular to come back to. They stay where they are or they go in the bin.

* includes unused but rubbish blades, don't store them either :)

Last edited:
I guess it comes back to the days when I only had one razor and changed blades for how I felt. Since then I always take the blade out and give the razor a wipe down and store them empty.

I guess with the quantity of blades some of you guys get you don't need to re-use blades!