BOG razors?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Guys, my old faithful Ikon Shavecraft 101 is dead.
Well the base plate has developed alloy 'rot' and is getting worse.
The handle is great, the cap is great...but the base plate has decided to die.
Looks like 'aircraft grade' aluminium is not much better than zamac.
So, I need a new head complete (cap and base plate) to fit my Tuckaway Ikon handle.
Checked out Ikon...want $40US but out of stock.
Checked Yaqi for an el cheapo zamac...only $10 (ish) plus free delivery to NZ.
That would work, and just buy a couple knowing that I would sooner rather than later need to throw them away as they too start to rot.
But...I found BOG razors.
https://www.classicshaving.com/collections/bog

Probably aluminium, but the price is OK. Just throw the handle away and use my Ikon handle if I have too.
Have any of you tried a BOG razor?
Otherwise, I'm looking for a complete head, or a new razor.
My only razors now are a Mamba, and a Gillette Tech (not 'into' really aggressive shaves).
Could just buy a Fatip Gentile I suppose and biff the Ikon handle anyway.
Your thoughts, ideas, offers to sell razor/head/etc most welcome.
Thanks.

The Classic Shaving the BOG razor - The Claymore looks exactly the same as a clone call The Knight from Manly Stuff website was made in Ireland, PaulHFilms on youtube did a review on the Knight razor click here

The Knight below:-
The-_Knight.jpg

The BOG - The Claymore below:-
bog-the-claymore-safety-razor.jpg

Last edited:
Is the base plate corroding around the area it meets the handle? If so what material and/or coating is the handle made out of?

Replating may be an option if caught sooner rather than later.

If the handle @Blackie was using is stainless steel, I think what he is seeing on the base plate is galvanic corrosion (or bimetallic) corrosion. Give it a google, I will mash the explanation, but it's basically accelerated corrosion caused by dissimilar metals (with the right, or wrong I should say, properties) in contact with each other. When the razor is wet, the beads of water touching both the metals forms a path that allows the aluminium to bisaccly discharge all it's ions (which prevent against corrosion) to the stainless steel causing accelerated corrosion of the aluminium.

Your bathroom is not really a high corrosive environment but it is wet. And if you leave your razor wet around the connection this is a potential. Surface area is a factor as well. You might see it more on a base plate of aluminium or zinc coating with a stainless handle then on an aluminium or zinc coated handle attached to a stainless base plate.

Yes, stainless handle with anodized aluminium base plate and cap.
Yes, I figured galvanic corrosion. The rot is inside the hole in the base plate that the handle screws through.
I do loosen the head after each shave, rinse the razor, then store upright until next shave.
A complete dry down each time would no doubt be the way to go, but I do have other things to do rather than faff about in the bathroom all day.
I'm thinking a good companion for my Mamba would be a Karve or maybe a Fendrihan stainless (which is slightly cheaper).
@borked ..I don't think it's possible to strip the Ikon base plate covering off to get it anodized again. Maybe Ceracote would work? But the cost probably makes it cheaper to just get a new razor complete? (and the Karve really does look nice!).

Sorted...bought a Fendrihan Mk2 stainless head (new, from Fendrihan).
I see that they also make a solid brass, chromed head too. One of those would have done OK (they're a tad cheaper), but I'll give their cast SS head a crack first.
The Mk2 is said to be better finished, and a tad milder than the first versions.