Bootlegger's Aftershave Reviews

@borked have you ever thought about adding menthol into brut, imperial leather and old spice aftershave, this would be right up your alley

PS. Sorry for asking above for not related to this topic.
Stop being so nos... (looks at your profile pic) oh wait! :LOL:

I've experimented with Menth in multiple items, including adding more to the manufacturers original amount for some items.
You should try it too.

Review - Bootlegger's Green Freeze

jzGHaH2.jpg

Bootlegger's Aftershaves are a product of the good members of the Badger and Blade Forum community, with the initiative spearheaded by @OkieStubble, who I am delighted to see has joined our Aussie Forum.
The Bootlegger's concept is to blend together a combination of drug-store aftershaves to produce a derivative product, hopefully with synergy such that the blend results in a final product that is superior to the sum of its parts.

Recipe
  • 1 part Jeris Osage Rub
  • 1 part Mennen Skin Bracer Original

Scent and Performance

I have been using this aftershave daily for a little over a week now. The blend is more linear than the other Bootlegger's blends I have tried. It opens with a medicinal blast of menthol and eucalyptus from the Osage Rub. Comparing the Osage rub to, say, Proraso Green, it is more medicinal and has a much stronger menthol effect. What is very enjoyable after this opening is, as the menthol takes hold and invigorates your face, the scent mellows as the Skin Bracer comes to the fore. The sharp notes of the Osage Rub slowly merge into a warm welcoming vanilla scent.

The face feel and performance is very good. It is very refreshing and cooling, without too much sting upon application. Good all year round, but great in hot weather.

Summary

This is a blend that I was initially not sure on, but it has grown on me with use, and I now really enjoy it. Very refreshing, with a lovely vanilla dry down.

Review - Bootlegger's Arctic Lime

D2omPCd.jpg

Background

Bootlegger's Aftershaves are a product of the good members of the Badger and Blade Forum community, with the initiative spearheaded by @OkieStubble, who I am delighted to see has joined our Aussie Forum.
The Bootlegger's concept is to blend together a combination of drug-store aftershaves to produce a derivative product, hopefully with synergy such the blend results in a final product that is superior to the sum of its parts.

Recipe
  • 1 part Jeris Osage Rub
  • 1 part Pinaud Lime Sec cologne
Scent and Performance

For me, this "green" variant blends together more homogeneously than Green Freeze. The Pinaud Lime Sec cologne is sweet and vibrant, and matches really well with the more austere medicinal notes of the Osage Rub, resulting in a nicely balanced scent. I would rate the scent of this blend as having medium longevity as an aftershave splash.

The face feel is very good with this blend. It is a very refreshing aftershave, with a nice alcohol bite and a good menthol hit.

Summary

More great work from @OkieStubble. Arctic Lime is perfect for hot weather, or anytime you feel like a refreshing pick me up.

Review - Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum

OoujCdF.jpg

Background

The Bootlegger's concept is to blend together a combination of drug-store aftershaves to produce a derivative product, hopefully with synergy such the blend results in a final product that is superior to the sum of its parts.

Recipe
  • 1 Part Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
  • 1 Part Master Bay Rum
  • 1 Part Superior 70 Bay Rum
  • 1 Part Pinaud Citrus Musk

Scent and Performance

Man - this is good stuff! With a base as good as the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum, you are starting from a very good place. The addition of the Pinaud Citrus Musk takes the scent to a whole new level - the sweet citrus lime smooths out the robustness of the Bay Rums, and results in a delightful and refreshing scent. You get both the warmth of the bay rum, and the fresh citrus hit from the Citrus Musk.

The face feel is again very good with this blend. There is a healthy alcohol bite, and a touch of moisturising from the glycerin in the Master Bay Rum.

Summary

An absolute ball-tearer from @OkieStubble. The additional of the Citrus Musk makes this blend most versatile. Hats off to you, Rob - you've nailed it again!

Great review Tom! :)

You put such great effort and commitment into obtaining all the various aftershaves to make the Bootlegger’s Series, it does my heart good to know that you like them and it was worth the effort.

I am very interested in reading what you think about the Perfecto Maduro. :)

Review - Bootlegger's El Dorado

l41wLsg.jpg

Recipe
  • 2 Parts Pinaud Special Reserve
  • 2 Parts Pinaud Classic Vanilla
  • 1 Part Dana English Leather

Scent and Performance

This is the first Bootlegger's blend that I put together a little over a year ago. At the time, it was the only blend that I could obtain ingredients for. There are no Bay Rum elements in this blend - it is a bare-chested tribute to the Wild West. The ultra-masculine leather notes of the Special Reserve are rounded out and lifted by the Classic Vanilla and English Leather. Whilst maintaining its rugged character, it is surprisingly sophisticated.

The face feel is good with this blend, but it is all about that wonderful scent. I would rate the longevity of El Dorado as medium-strong for an aftershave.
On a tangent, I experimented with the addition of menthol crystals after a few weeks, as it was late summer at the time. This works just fine, due to the potent nature of the scent can handle the menthol without being overpowered. I juiced it up pretty good - probably colder than the Green Freeze or Arctic Lime blends. The menthol note is present in the first 5-10 minutes, then fades, leaving the original scent to power on.

Summary

A screamer from @OkieStubble. The elements blend together fantastically well - it has stood the test of time, and remains my favourite Bootlegger's blend, and indeed has become one of my favourite aftershaves.
This will always be in my rotation. As I remarked to the creator, Rob, this scent evokes Clint Eastwood entering the saloon in the Wild West after several weeks on the trail. He saunters upstairs, has a quick bath and shave, then splashes on plenty of El Dorado before heading downstairs for a drink and some company.

Review - Bootlegger's El Dorado

l41wLsg.jpg

Recipe
  • 2 Parts Pinaud Special Reserve
  • 2 Parts Pinaud Classic Vanilla
  • 1 Part Dana English Leather

Scent and Performance

This is the first Bootlegger's blend that I put together a little over a year ago. At the time, it was the only blend that I could obtain ingredients for. There are no Bay Rum elements in this blend - it is a bare-chested tribute to the Wild West. The ultra-masculine leather notes of the Special Reserve are rounded out and lifted by the Classic Vanilla and English Leather. Whilst maintaining its rugged character, it is surprisingly sophisticated.

The face feel is good with this blend, but it is all about that wonderful scent. I would rate the longevity of El Dorado as medium-strong for an aftershave.
On a tangent, I experimented with the addition of menthol crystals after a few weeks, as it was late summer at the time. This works just fine, due to the potent nature of the scent can handle the menthol without being overpowered. I juiced it up pretty good - probably colder than the Green Freeze or Arctic Lime blends. The menthol note is present in the first 5-10 minutes, then fades, leaving the original scent to power on.

Summary

A screamer from @OkieStubble. The elements blend together fantastically well - it has stood the test of time, and remains my favourite Bootlegger's blend, and indeed has become one of my favourite aftershaves.
This will always be in my rotation. As I remarked to the creator, Rob, this scent evokes Clint Eastwood entering the saloon in the Wild West after several weeks on the trail. He saunters upstairs, has a quick bath and shave, then splashes on plenty of El Dorado before heading downstairs for a drink and some company.
Are you 100% sure? that you really smell like a Bootlegger El Dorado @TomG, otherwise, you've been watching too many John Wayne classic cowboy movies again.

I wish that I could try these.
They sound great.

How's the range going after several months @TomG ?

I wish that I could try these.
They sound great.

Well guess what I just saw in the listings for the Paste & Cut Charity Auction 2021

Opening for bidding: 12 noon, Sunday 17 October

Bidding closes: 12 noon, Saturday 23 October (unless auction extended, see rules)

with 26+ sensational lots covering all you could ever want or dream of in terms of shaving supplies, including a few surprises.

Check our what has already been unveiled here.

Still getting used - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/shave-of-the-day-thread-2021.6618/page-269#post-191719

G’day Mate.
Being totally honest, I really like them all. I guess we are benefiting from the extensive trial and error that @OkieStubble did when developing the blends. One that has really grown on me is Green Freeze. The combination is a winner - I love the menthol kick.
I use them all regularly - not just after shaves, but for a face refresher when needed.

Any suggestions on the best place to source some of the basic ingredients?

No, but if you look in the Paste & Cut Charity Auction later this year ...