Brush cleaning (Yes? No?).

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Just been reading about cleaning brushes.
Seems that some shaving problems (spots, zits, rashes, etc) are caused by a dirty brush spreading the bad bacteria around your face. Happens to wimmin folk with their makeup brushes too.
The shaving soap doesn't do much for cleaning brushes apparently, and there are shaving brush cleaning products you can buy or make your own.
One make your own recipe uses witch hazel, water, castile soap, and a wee dab of nice oil for your skin (Olive, Grapeseed, etc).
Any of you ever bothered to actually clean a brush or (like me) just lather up and give it a good cleaning rinse after use?
What is your cleaning regime?
Make your own? A recipe would be great.

You can use some white vinegar and water. 50/50 , soak for 30 mins and rinse and dry. This also dissolves soap scum for those that don't rinse their brushes, kills bacteria and fungus, conditions the badger or boar hair, and help eliminate new brush stink.

A weak borax solution also works well, followed by vinegar.
I rinse my brushes thoroughly after use with tap water, then a final rinse with filtered water, which has resulted in extending the regular chemical clean to once every 2 years.

IF You’re using a synthetic brush….. No you don’t need worry about cleaning the brush.

IF You’re using a Badger, Boar, Horse or mix Badger/Boar brushes….. Yes you do need to clean out all the soap scrub and oil inside the natural hairs, soaking the natural hair brushes into a bowl or cup with one part water and one part pure vinegar for about 20 or 30 minutes. Then rinse the natural hair brushes under the tap with warm water to rinse out the vinegar smell, then gently clean the natural hair brushes by hand under the tap with warm water using cheap natural shampoo and give them a bloody good clean and rinse out all the shampoo under the tap.

Done easy peasy, I do this above roughly about every 5 or 6 months…. K.I.S.S ;) (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Last edited:
I've often considered clarifying shampoos would work well because they remove soap build up and impurities from hair and are PH balanced but have not tried yet

I had never deep cleaned my brushes and nothing happened for me ever but my son ended up getting attached to an old body shop synthetic of mine i hadnt used for ages, it was clean or so i thought, after a few painting sessions the knot fell out and still smelt of my old soaps.
Id say for anyone its a must do to clean them, just get the mrs to toss it in when she does a load.

Shampoo and conditioner, vigorous warm water wash and rinse before during and after each step, followed by a thorough drying session.
Been meaning to get some of Con's TSH brush cleaner again, indeed is good stuff.