Brush restoration

Ebonysw45

I now have 4 brushes for restoration and am hunting for the Muhle synthetic knots as well as boar/horsehair knots and or hair to try my hand a a diy knot. Any idea were I can grab these? I know also need to get some of the magic plastic polish. Yeah, new rabbit hole.... Its so dark in here.

giphy.gif

Stop digging your rabbit hole.

Also some JB weld plastic epoxy putty and maybe some old copper coins for some added heft and to set the loft.
Please don't use any metal (coins) to set the loft - use cork disks or something similar. One day you or someone else might decide to change the knots and it will be very frustrating getting those metal disks out...

Please don't use any metal (coins) to set the loft - someone else might decide to change the knots and it will be very frustrating getting those metal disks out...

I read somewhere that metal washers are a good choice. Usually because they are generally non-ferrous by design and you can easily pick them out of the handle cavity of a brush handle through their centre hole. Especially if you use a low strength adhesive like silicone. I suppose I could have used a nylon washer instead, but I wanted the extra weight metal can provide.

Please don't use any metal (coins) to set the loft - use cork disks or something similar. One day you or someone else might decide to change the knots and it will be very frustrating getting those metal disks out...

Cork will not have the weight I’m looking for, but I’m a believer in minimum impact on vintage stuff which is why I don’t polish my straight razors until they look new. I remove rust and give the scales a buff. No replacement of scales unless they are damaged beyond use and no unnecessary removal of metal. I’m all for wabi sabi. So any alternatives to add weight are gladly accepted. I will set with silicon most likely for the same reason.

Tracked down the Muhle in the UK. No luck on a horse hair knot. I’m not looking at ones from China, only Europe or the US. For example something like a Vie Long or Zenith. Anyone know someone with a horse? I may have to have a go at making my own.

I read somewhere that metal washers are a good choice. Usually because they are generally non-ferrous by design and you can easily pick them out of the handle cavity of a brush handle through their centre hole. Especially if you use a low strength adhesive like silicone. I suppose I could have used a nylon washer instead, but I wanted the extra weight metal can provide.
Unless you ask specifically for copper/brass/stainless washers, you'll usually get steel, mostly zinc-plated (especially those from Bunnings). These will inevitably rust, and there's a possibility it might stain the bristles of your brush, especially if you hang it upside down. Realistically, I don't believe a few coins/washers are really going to make much difference to the heft of the brush. Hold a few old 2-cent coins in your hand and see what I mean...

there's a possibility it might stain the bristles of your brush...

I never thought about the possibility of staining. You can buy 316 stainless washers from bunnings, but they're pretty pricey compared to the regular zinc coated ones. I have a SHD badger knot coming (yes, another one...). I'll use nylon washers (if needed) to set that one.

Tools used
Dremel 4000
Dremel Workstation
Cheap drill press bench from Hobyco
Dremel chuck 4486
Dreml high speed cutter 115
1/8 drill bit 3.18
Drum sander with a low and high grit cylinder
400 grit wet dry to finish
The grey rubber mount around the brush is from a greywater reducing coupling. I had one lying around and it protects the brush handle from the vice.

All available from Bunnings