Buying watches from O/S

nathan1983

Hi guys

I am looking at buying another watch, I have zero knowledge of purchasing items from O/S as I much prefer to buy locally and at times pay a little more. However I am looking at purchasing a new Seiko SSC377P-9 http://m.seiko.com.au/watch/ssc377p-9

With some haggling today I can get it for $660, I had a look online tonight and I found it on eBay for AU$400 landed.

So my questions are: if I buy from the US via eBay am i still getting a genuine product? do they have different product runs per country?

I know a few of you are mad keen watch fans and overseas buyers so hopefully I can understand a little better

Nathan

Why the US mate? Likely a better deal from Singapore or even Japan...
skywatches
global ratuken
....etc.

For Seiko watches the first 6 digits are the model of the watch. The next letter indicates where it was assembled or what market it is for. I think the last number indicates the type of bracelet or strap that fires with that model.
So in your case it's a SeikoSolarCore model number 377
P= assembled in Singapore (K is usually Malaysia or Korea, and J is for the Japanese domestic market)
And the 9 (I think) is for the bracelet style.

As far as watch collectors go, the J Japanese Domestic Market models are considered superior for some reason, (although no testing I've read indicates that is actually the case). Indeed many of these are even manufactured in the aforementioned other countries and are just assembled in Japan. J marked watches get a considerable markup compared to those with a K or P suffix.

While that doesn't answer your question completely it should give you the rough idea that most Seikos are going to be very similar no matter where in the world you but them, but I'd you want one that was destined for the JDM expect to open you're wallet that little bit more.

Hi guys

I am looking at buying another watch, I have zero knowledge of purchasing items from O/S as I much prefer to buy locally and at times pay a little more. However I am looking at purchasing a new Seiko SSC377P-9 http://m.seiko.com.au/watch/ssc377p-9

With some haggling today I can get it for $660, I had a look online tonight and I found it on eBay for AU$400 landed.

So my questions are: if I buy from the US via eBay am i still getting a genuine product? do they have different product runs per country?

I know a few of you are mad keen watch fans and overseas buyers so hopefully I can understand a little better

Nathan

OK, I'm no a watch expert AT ALL but ...

That difference in price ($660/$400) is consistent with my experience for genuine product, in fact I've seen a little greater at times.

There are lots of online seller, websites and eBay who are legit - obviously check feedback and avoid know counterfeit hot spots

Yes they have different product runs and names sometimes for different countries - as @eggbert has alluded to.

There are some great deals @ creationwatches. I have been eyeing off some seiko divers for a while. The only thing holding me back is a trip to the states in a few weeks so I'll wait and see what prices are like over there.

There are some great deals @ creationwatches. I have been eyeing off some seiko divers for a while. The only thing holding me back is a trip to the states in a few weeks so I'll wait and see what prices are like over there.

I would be surprised in B&M shops had prices any better than online providers. While you might save on shipping the flip side might be local taxes. I did the same on a trip to NYC a few years back on a camera lense. The B&H Photo Video price was the same instore as online BUT I had to pay the NY state tax on top. It made the difference between shipping and buying instore pretty minimal.

I would be surprised in B&M shops had prices any better than online providers. While you might save on shipping the flip side might be local taxes. I did the same on a trip to NYC a few years back on a camera lense. The B&H Photo Video price was the same instore as online BUT I had to pay the NY state tax on top. It made the difference between shipping and buying instore pretty minimal.
I'm expecting that to be the case also but I'm in no rush so will wait and see. I guess the benefit is being able to try the watches on first.

Thanks guys ill have to keep my eye out on other sites although I am finding that the watch I am looking for is not listed on a lot of them

@eggbert - thanks for the run down helps a lot, is there much difference in the finished product as to where it is assembled?

@Mark1966 - thanks for the sanity check

Very similar model. Lot less cash. 2-3 days to delivery from ordering with full tracking.
http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...-ssc367-ssc367p1-ssc367p-mens-watch-7298.html
- I have a Seiko Chronograph SNAF47P1 already that looks similar to this one so i was hoping for something a little less bulky and dressy

I'm expecting that to be the case also but I'm in no rush so will wait and see. I guess the benefit is being able to try the watches on first.

Yeah for some things that sort of thing is important and worth the extra dollars.

There is also the cool factor. I purchased my wife a coat that trip - it will always be her coat from NYC :)

Hey - Happy shaving :)