Calling an IT Guru

Bucephalus

Guys, our youngest daughter donated us her ex-work laptop with Windows 10 installed and we're finding
email a PITA! I believe "Outlook" must now be purchased and is not part of Windows 10. "Mail" does not contain a Contacts List - or is it me??

We would appreciate recommendations for a Windows 10 compatible email program, WITH a Contacts List. I am considering eMClient.

Terry Mackasi :ROFLMAO: .

Guys, our youngest daughter donated us her ex-work laptop with Windows 10 installed and we're finding
email a PITA! I believe "Outlook" must now be purchased and is not part of Windows 10. "Mail" does not contain a Contacts List - or is it me??

We would appreciate recommendations for a Windows 10 compatible email program, WITH a Contacts List. I am considering eMClient.

Terry Mackasi :ROFLMAO: .

No expert but - https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ndows-10-e708d583-31c2-4eca-a188-8e69bad63bb3

Depends what you are using for your email.....tell us where your email is and we go from there.

Outlook is a hoooorrible idea unless you are using Exchange-based email (ie Office 365, proper business version) otherwise I just use Mozilla Thunderbird for IMAP-based email.

Office 365 Home is nothing more than a paid version of Hotmail. It's not Exchange-based, just IMAP and the webmail a bastardised version of the Outlook Web Access, without any of the good bits of Exchange mailboxes.

The above is stated from someone whose company sells Office 365 licensing to MSPs, and I am responsible for support.

Depends what you are using for your email.....tell us where your email is and we go from there.

Outlook is a hoooorrible idea unless you are using Exchange-based email (ie Office 365, proper business version) otherwise I just use Mozilla Thunderbird for IMAP-based email.

Office 365 Home is nothing more than a paid version of Hotmail. It's not Exchange-based, just IMAP and the webmail a bastardised version of the Outlook Web Access, without any of the good bits of Exchange mailboxes.

The above is stated from someone whose company sells Office 365 licensing to MSPs, and I am responsible for support.

For a personal use, I would pay a plug-in for using Exchange e-mail in Thunderbird. Well, that's what I actually do in my office desktop. No windows installed so no microsoft software either. If I need strict compatibility for some documents, I can use office online as a part of the exchange 'thing' that we have at Uni.

For a personal use, I would pay a plug-in for using Exchange e-mail in Thunderbird. Well, that's what I actually do in my office desktop. No windows installed so no microsoft software either. If I need strict compatibility for some documents, I can use office online as a part of the exchange 'thing' that we have at Uni.
Which is why I am asking where the mail is today, that should be driving the client. If it is IMAP them eM Client or Thunderbird is probably your best bet.

Absolutely agree with @Monsta_AU - a Thunderbird solution is most likely your safest bet

Based on your email address here, your are on Gmail so you can use eM Client... pretty much a 'does everything' option.

If your iPhone synced with iTunes after iTunes detected your email set up in 'Mail' then that's how that happened :LOL:

Yes, probably easier for you, or anyone else who has less technology skills.

Those comfortable with a more hands-on approach will get more out of Thunderbird.

Hi Bucephalus sorry bout the late reply but just saw this thread. The default w10 mail client (what came with your W10 laptop) would have a contacts list but you will need to build it up, ie add contacts to it OR import from your google account.

To import from your google account simply follow the steps below.. let me know if you have any issues :)

Here's how to import your Gmail contacts to Windows 10:
  1. Open the People app.
  2. Click "Add accounts."
  3. Choose Google.
  4. Log in with your Google account.
  5. Click Allow.
  6. Click Done.
  7. Your contacts will populate the People app. You can follow these same steps for iCloud or Outlook.

If you wanted to add contacts you would just add them to the 'People' app on your W10 device

follow this link to see how https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...add-contacts-to-the-people-app-in-windows-10/

OR as others have pointed out you can always simply use your browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox) to use mail via your ISP

Last edited by a moderator: