Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK folks, so here is the challenge ...

My kids are now old enough to have friends shaving, and they know that I'm into all of the thing. So I've been asked a few times now to help put together starter kits. I have a few spare razors and blades lying around :)whistle:) and a soap can be had fairly cheaply but my current 'go to solid reliable starter brush' is Con's synthetic. Not expensive, but not cheap either when you are giving them away!

Is there a cheaper, reliable, no nonsense but not rubbish brush?

I don't want to put these guys off shaving so it has to work - but throw in a $15 soap and postage and these kits add up even without accounting for a razor and few blades.

This thread could be of help to @SnowedAway .

Just for those of us who don't know what a Con's synthetic is. How much do they go for? Also any possibility of them covering the difference between a cheapie and that so it's less of a hit to your wallet?

Has to be a Yaqi brush if you're after a tuxedo synthetic.... Their badger brushes are reported to be quite good too :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gr...tml?spm=2114.10010108.100008.3.77bbba19lXq2cK

Second this. Since we last spoke @Mark1966 I've added a few more synthetics and out of the lot the RazoRock and Yagi 24 to 26mm have been my favorites and excellent bang for buck. I mash, stroke, smash and paint these with firm & soft soaps against my face and they handle it all extremely well.
Fantastic lathers for the price against plisson types.
My pick are the tux and pure black knots. Higher loft near 57mm are great.

go for yaqi. they are inexpensive and good. Never tried the badger ones but very good comments from friends who also have good ones.
It is probably too late for this discount code but it was 10 Trumps postage included....

TIleJNi.png

check the website of yaqi in aliexpress, because they have nice stuff. Actually. Yaqi brushes are starting be seen often sold by other companies, I reckon, just re-branded.
my daily brush is this:
https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...580.html?spm=a219c.12010612.0.0.f999865MXUQNl

But if want them to start face lathering, it is not a good choice. Then I would go for the badgers (here I am influenced by people I know and their comments, not by internet based comments, so people I know say good things of them. I will buy soon after leaving my wallet to recover from my last bought at TSW on sunday).
For bowl lathering, the yaqi sagrada familia of my link is very good, and the handle will probably be nice to for youngish people. I will buy it back from you paying all the costs as brand new, including postage, if you are not happy with this stuff for your kids (I don't really need to assume you will test the stuff first hand, I know you will :D ).

and, while time ago I was not very pro synths, but their maintenance is much easier, specially for young and newbie people,... not to soak, not much to dry, not much need to put down for drying, not big damages to the hair if misused etc...

cheers

Fer

What about The Shave Factory rebranded Omega boar brushes on eBay for less than $10/brush?

I have been watch yaqi web site and their prices seem to have gone up along with postage since i purchased a brush 6 months ago
Got the same guess, specially on natural hair. I got my brush from a very small batch a bit cheaper tha it looks now. It is still cheap, but yes, they are moving the prices up

I have been watch yaqi web site and their prices seem to have gone up along with postage since i purchased a brush 6 months ago

Yup. They've setup their market and now basically competing directly against the very vendors they supply!!

Seems kinda unfair as the vendors have huge minimum orders and have to compete at the retail level with their own supplier!

It's legal but not very ethical in my opinion. Then again, the per piece cost of the bulk order is also pretty darn cheap!

On topic... Synthetics for newbies...i reckon the maggard 22mm or 24mm tuxedo style would be best. Reasonable brush and shipping costs. I'd probably recommend 22mm for newbies since i feel it'll help them to learn product to water ratio a bit easier.

Yup. They've setup their market and now basically competing directly against the very vendors they supply!!

Seems kinda unfair as the vendors have huge minimum orders and have to compete at the retail level with their own supplier!

It's legal but not very ethical in my opinion. Then again, the per piece cost of the bulk order is also pretty darn cheap!

On topic... Synthetics for newbies...i reckon the maggard 22mm or 24mm tuxedo style would be best. Reasonable brush and shipping costs. I'd probably recommend 22mm for newbies since i feel it'll help them to learn product to water ratio a bit easier.

I am not sure what means ethical. can be buy chinese products and just rebrand them and sell them as your own much more expensive?
so I am not far a Chinese products suporter (I actually use at home Oz olive oil, while buying spanish olive oils here is really easy, but I am responsible on my acquisitions, and I support aussies as they are supporting me though my salary), but having to decide between products that are the same, I would go to the original at least while the company is not doing anything against common sense on the trade (we know 99% of the fur for brushes is chinese, do we?)
cheers

I am not sure what means ethical. can be buy chinese products and just rebrand them and sell them as your own much more expensive?
so I am not far a Chinese products suporter (I actually use at home Oz olive oil, while buying spanish olive oils here is really easy, but I am responsible on my acquisitions, and I support aussies as they are supporting me though my salary), but having to decide between products that are the same, I would go to the original at least while the company is not doing anything against common sense on the trade (we know 99% of the fur for brushes is chinese, do we?)
cheers

Whilst you have totally valid points, my statement was not so much about supporting local trade, that's a different and personal decision to make... And that too much more complex than my somewhat simple point :)

All I'm saying is that yaqi is supplying the brushes in wholesale and then competing against the vendors on the retail front. And this too at basically the same price!

It would be like a Chinese badger hair supplier selling a "Chinese chubby 2" whilst supplying the same hair to Simpsons.

I am not too hung up about it as is just shaving brushes but still, i find it a tad bit unethical of yaqi to be following this practice.

Any Omega S brush. Around 6 Eur from G&C or Connaught plus shipping. Or an Omega 49 for 8 Eur. Cheaper when they're on special, which is regularly...

But if I was one of those new shavers I would wish someone would spring for an Omega 48 for me at 10Eur. It's simply my favourite brush. Walk into any decent Italian grocer and a 48 should be on the shelf for around 20bux and a tub of Proraso Green about half that? Or a tube for less?

They could do a lot worse but then I am an Omega fanbois...

I vote for a whipped dog, fairly cheap for what you get

How do the Yaqi Sagrada and Mysterious Space compare to the TSW 24mm synth?
I like my 24mm TSW. It is beautifully soft, but lacks backbone.
My St James 24mm has wonderful backbone, but is painfully scratchy.
What should I do!?... Maybe I can cross-breed them?

Know what else has synthetic bristles? Toilet brushes, wake up sheeple.

Sorry I’ve been in YouTube conspiracy land