Chillies!

Discussion started by pablo_h, Jun 27, 2011.

1. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

Who loves them, who grows them, what have you got?
    Anyone with a cool winter set up using heated propagators or grow lamps?
    I don't have any cool gear so that's why I'm asking.
    Most of my plants grow poorly due to the fact the good ones take so long to grow and don't hit their stride for a couple of years, suffer through the cold wet winters and I barely get a dozen pods from each plant because they take so long to either grow from seedling, or recover from the previous winter.
    I did try growing in the ground last place I rented, but root knot nematodes killed them off. And because now I'm temporarily renting, everything in pots and not doing so well compared to how they could be in a good soil. But at least in pots I can bring them inside where it may not be warmer, but at least they don't drown in the rain.
    Already got my shopping list for this coming summer, hoping to get these seeds from the hippyseedcompany.com :
    Fatali
    Trinidad yellow scotch bonnets
    Bonda Ma Jaques
    Douglah Choc
    7 pot yellow
    Trinidad scorpion

I just joined up on the chillies galore forums Chillis Galore Forums • Index page

This will be my next nerdy hobby.

2. Pjotr

Pjotr Cultured Philistine Moderator 2016 Sabbatical

Yep, family of chillie munchers here. I've always got one or two varieties going. Basically a nice biggish fleshy one and a hotter smaller one. I'm not in to the real heat thing. In fact I nearly always take the seeds and white pulp out and just quadruple the number chillies in a recipe. Love the sweety hot flavour of the pod rather than the hot bitter taste of the seeds. Mind you I've grown one variety of jalepeno which was just as hot whichever part of the pod you'd try. I've still got a jar of them preserved and a little bag of dried ones. One per meal for a family of four chillie heads is almost too much. Like lot's of chillie products too, such as sambal (Conimex rules) and the odd sweet chillie sauce (Linghams, there is nothing on this earth better than Linghams). Made a few myself too.

3. JugV2

JugV2 Simply boring. Moderator

I love chillies also.

I don't grow them yet; I am keen to get into this after winter.

A girl at work grows them and gives me bags and bags of them, so I dry them, grind them, roast them whole in stir fry, chop em up in spaghetti.

Yummo.

4. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

Just found a new site The Hot Pepper

Right now I've got old red habs, scotch bonnets and czech black doing poorly, I've cut off buds and growth, also moved them into smaller pots and inside the house to get them dormant for winter.
    Got an old thai birdseye still where I've left it in it's pot but cut it back.

Got what I think is naga and 7 pod/pot still fruiting, and a bhut flowering but nothing yeilding which I bought this year, I brought them in because the rain kills chilli plants.

Got new scotch bonnet, red hab, choc hab, jalapeno, cayenne seedlings which sprouted a few months ago inside on the window sill.

Just found my old peltier 20L fridge that has a digital thermostat that can heat and cool, so set that to 30C and filled it up with seeds in tiny pots. If they germinate, I'm going to knock up a reflective box and a couple of light globes to keep them lit up and warm over winter.
    the 'annuum's like jalapenos grow fast. Chinense types like habeneros, scotch bonnets, and the other really hot ones grow really slow and I'm lucky to get a few chillies if you wait until summer hits before planting them (start early with artificial light and heat, or try keep them alive over winter for their second season.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. Pjotr

Seeds from the hippyseedcompany. Weird names like Czech Black and Buht. Looks like you've got a little hydroponic set up happening. Are you sure you're growing chillies there pablo?

6. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

Dude chill....
    Like you've never heard of naga morich, trinidad scorpion, trinidad perfume, Bhut (ghost) jolokia (chilli), what are you, some kind of narc?
    Like I said it's my new hobby.
    [​IMG]

Nah, I haven't heard of a nearly any the current varieties everyone is raving about, the ones I mentioned I had were cool 2-3 years ago. The Cool kids have moved on.

Edit: cool thing about the hot pepper forums is that they have a decent australian community, with a few from Perth, including wildfire chilli, who sells plants and sauces here in Perth.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. Pjotr

I'm resisting getting sucked in by another nerdy hobbie. I'll check it out. It's the ideal climate for growing them here in Perth. They're very attractive looking plants too.

8. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

Be careful though, I've only checked out the australian thread on The Hot Pepper forums, seemed like a bunch of cool guys, DIY etc.
    It can be a bit B&B though, being a US forum.

Aussies: chuck seeds in plastic cups, rig up some heat, normally works chillies are pretty tough, if you are going to fertilise, use half the recommended dose but you can get away with using nothing if the sunlight and temps are right.

The main forum though, someone in the US in regards to what potting mix:

First off, welcome to the forum! Miracle Grow can work, but there are definately better alternatives. Promix is great, same with Fafard's if you can get it. You can't go wrong with either, but both are a bit pricey though. You can try a local nursery to see what they have. I do a large number of plants so it is more economical for me to make my own. For each 5 gal bucket I use:

2 gal Peat moss
    1 gal Mushroom Compost
    1 gal Aged Pine Bark fines (soil conditioner)
    1 gal Perlite

TO this mix, add about 1/2 cup ground dolomite lime, 1/2 cup Slow release fertilizer (I used Espoma Tomato Tone). I also added 1 cup of earthworm castings. They are expensive as well, but WELL worth the money. Plants love them.

:amazed:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  9. Pjotr

Wow! I've had gluttonous volumes of chillies from plants plonked straight in to Perth's usual infertile sands. Fertilise once a week (if that) and through some sheep shit around. Amazingly enough, as you wouldn't think anything could survive in there, about 10% of pods get hit and are full of larvae.

10. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

I've been totally into this for the past month, especially as I have contemplated moving to a regional area, more room to grow, chance of a side business sprouting up in seeds, plants, sauce, raw chilli supply as well.
    Got my original habs, scotch bonnet, thai, jalapeno, czech black and a few others sprouting now. Got a bunch of new supplies recently too for the new varieties I want.

Brain Strain vs Butch T - The Hot Pepper
    Winter in OZ "Comparison" - The Hot Pepper - Page 65
    Winter in OZ "Comparison" - The Hot Pepper - Page 66
    http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21897-winter-in-oz-comparison/page__view__findpost__p__483755

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  11. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

Well then if I don't get my order I expect you to do something about it!
    Just ordered:
    Aji Pineapple
    Anaheim
    Bolivian Rojo
    Criolla Sella
    Jaloro
    Peruvian Chinense
    Red Savina Habanero
    Yellow Habanero

That complements my current grow of already planted seedlings:
    7 pot brain strain (PRF) 3
    7 pot red (THSC) 3
    7 pot yellow (PRF) 5
    7 pot yellow (THSC) 1
    aji amarillo
    bih jolokia
    bonda ma jacques
    choc trinidad scorpion (PRF) 4
    choc bhut jolokia
    congo black (choc habanero)
    dorset naga (THSC) 3
    fatalii
    habanero orange
    habernero Red
    Hungarian Black
    hungarian hot wax
    jalapeno
    kempsey red
    marouga red
    peruvian white
    scotch bonnet
    takanotsume
    Thai Birdseye
    Trinidad scorpion Butch T

12. Pjotr

That's a lot of chillies. You must live on a few acres! I've just plonked in half a dozen standard Bunnings varieties which together with the ones that pop up naturally (been growing them for a while) will give me more than enough produce to last. I like de-seeding and preserving them when it's harvest time. Or just plain drying.

13. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

I haven't thought that far ahead!
    Going to have to stick most in medium sized pots *somewhere.

Don't plan on growing so many all the time, but may as well plant a lot to find out which I like the best this year. What grows best, what tastes best, what seems more pest and heat tolerant etc.
    Later on I'll just grow 4 each of a few varieties I like best.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  14. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

Anyone else get some chillies growing?
    I've got a heap of thai hybrid chillies pumping out, as well as lots of pods from a choc hab I planted in april last year.
    Only flowering, but still small plants and no pods, from all the chinense chilli plants I sowed in sept, and other annuums and baccatums I sowed in november
    Here's a gallery link I'm pimping everywhere right now:

imgur.com/a/xPxu5

15. eggbert

eggbert is full of Vision Collision 2018 Sabbatical 2017 Sabbatical Da Menth Heads

Wrong time of year to be growing them here

I did try to plant some seeds a couple of weeks back but the neighbour's dogs decided that the seedling tray was a chew toy - i could have killed the little bugger. In reality I was more angry at the owners. The dogs have the run of the yard, get little to no attention and are lucky if they get walked once a fortnight.

Trying to grow anything in that situation is difficult, so I have almost everything growing in pots. What size are those pots Pablo? I have been trying to use pots with about a 30cm diameter for chilli's, tomatoes etc, but they look a fair bit smaller, or are they just nice, healthy plants?
    I bought a selection of the following recently:
    Cayenne - Red
    Cayenne - Yellow/Golden
    Jalapeno
    Hungarian Yellow Wax
    Anaheim
    Poblano
    Big Jim
    Serrano
    but only have 10 of each... so you might have to wait until after this coming season before I could do a seed swap with you.

16. Pjotr

Yep, sure have. As I've been growing them for a number of years and seeds, from bought ones also, seem to survive my composting, they tend to pop up everywhere and are all kinds of shapes and varities. In any case I've now got five very healthy plants and wished I'd put a few more in. But that'll produce enough to last us to next season anyhow.

17. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

Most of the pots (light green or dark red) are 9 litre buckets I got from bunnings for 72c each and drilled out the bottoms, they are 26cm diameter.
    The faded terracotta pots are 25cm (if there's any in the photos, not sure, but I am using some of them for plants somewhere).
    The fresh looking terracotta coloured plastic pots are the 30cm that I usually use too. There's a couple of non bucket dark green and red pots that I used in desperation that are 20cm, They have since moved to the buckets and the small seedlings pictured have moved into those 20cm pots

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  18. pablo_h

pablo_h Member

You grow mainly thai type chillies right pjotr?
    Should have mentioned you didn't have much, I've been ripping out perfectly healthy ones loaded with pods and throwing them away.
    Had too many annuum chillies to deal with. Got a fair few hungarian hot wax, choc habs etc. A far few friends are after them already though. The choc hab has been a monster for production, sowed the seed last april, stuck it on the porch all winter where it just developed root and stem thickness, then put it in the ground in spring where it took off and gave heaps of pods.
    I think it's the best thing to do in WA where winters are mild. My other seeds were planted in spring, like everyone tells me I should do, they are only just starting their first pods now, when I've had at least 40 from the choc hab already. There's no winter freeze here, so I think people should start them earlier. End of summer is the best, so you don't have so stuff around with lights and heaters to get them started (like you would have to if you listen the the 'pros' they say start in winter - but they live in places where the winter is too cold, so fair enough). End of summer gives plenty of natural light and heat, and the plants are happy to grow slowing or stay dormant over our mild winters (just keep them dry-ish). This is mainly for the chinense plants, annuums like thais, hungarians, jalapeno are fine to start the beginning of spring as they grow quicker, BUT, our spring is colder than winter IMHO, so you would still have to stuff about growing them indoor for a month or two. End of summer is best, not heat/light required to get them going, and then they'll toughen up enough before the cold weather hits, keep them dry and they'll be ready to bolt in spring.

Here's my ones in buckets started mid september anyway:

7 pot red
    [​IMG]

7pot yellow
    [​IMG]

Brain strain
    [​IMG]

Fatalii
    [​IMG]

Bonda ma Jacques
    [​IMG]

Choc trinidad scorpion
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  19. Pjotr

To be honest, I really don't know what varieties I've got going. As I compost all the kitchen waste there are a large number of chillie seeds in there that just germinate in and around the fruit trees and other plants that get loads of compost. I just dig them up and replant them. Just discovered three more at the base of a lime tree yesterday. They're a bit too far gone I'm afraid. Most of them are the bog standard chillies you get in IGA and some are a few varieties that I've bought off nurseries here and there. Things just get recycled. I tend to go for medium to milder ones. I've still got a bag full of dried seriously hot jobbies I grew two years ago. Nice pictures. I'll get my camera out and post a few. Not as exotic as yours. My plants are getting ridiculously big. I try and grow then all year round if I can.