Review Chinese Pure Synthetic Badger Bush

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
A Chinese generic brush sold under different brand names. Available on AliExpress for about AUD 2 (Sep. 2020) and other sites for more. Available from many vendors, just look around until you find one that has a price, shipping and delivery time that suites you.

An economical brush that pulls its weight far beyond its cost.

XC0D8mi.jpg

Pros:
  • Great value
  • Performs better than a lot of European brand-name brushes
  • Real timber handle
Cons:
  • Will not satisfy those who prefer expensive brushes
  • Smaller than most
This brush can be purchased for about AUD 2 (Sep. 2020) on AliExpress or for more on eBay, etc. The brush is often listed as "pure badger" however it is synthetic. What do you expect for the price.

With a 19mm knot, 53mm loft and overall height of 100mm, this is not a large brush. This has the advantage that the brush does not hog lather. Just a pea size of cream face lathered can give enough lather for three passes and some left over. The hair has a medium backbone with soft tips.

The handle is of natural timber with a clear lacquer finish and diameter is 34mm. The brush looses a hair or two with the first few uses, however after about 5 to 10 uses the brush hair stabilizes.

I have real badger brushes costing 20 to 50 time more than this brush and they are nowhere near even 2 to 5 times better. This brush is the one that I now most frequently pick. Try it. For the price, you can't waste your money!

If I had to go real bargain-basement for a brush, I think I would pay the extra $8 for a Jack the Barber brush from Woolies (no postage, just pick it up with your other groceries), which is almost certainly better. Not to mention that Yaqi sell REALLY good quality brushes for around $26.

If you spend lots on your other hardware and software, it seems silly to be parsimonious with your brushes.

You get what you pay for as I started off with a similar brush via ebay and it was useless within 6 months.

Sounds like a waste of time, why would anyone buy anything from anyone listing a $2 ‘badger’ that’s actually a synthetic???
For the experience? Then I was pleasantly surprised with the result. I also have good badger, boar and synthetic brushes from Europe and China, some costing hundreds of dollars.
Don't knock it until you've tried it.

You get what you pay for as I started off with a similar brush via ebay and it was useless within 6 months.
I thought the same as you about my first one of these brushes so, once I found that I liked it, I bought another three (didn't break the bank). My first one is still going strong after five months with no deterioration. Maybe I was just lucky with the first one. The other three are still in their wrappers untouched.

I don't begrudge you for spending your $$ on something that works for you but seeing how far brushes have come these last few years you're better off picking up a Yaqi or equivalent that will outlast the $2 one eventually... YMMV

I don't think the responses are negative as we have become spoiled for choice with plenty of high quality items available locally or overseas at a reasonable price.

Not to bash the Alibaba's/Aliexpresses as you can still find a true bargain under say $10 if you're willing to wait but people would prefer to spend that little extra grabbing something that's been proven to last and won't end up in landfill within 6 months.

Plus a lot of people have been put off by the ethical and moral practices from some sellers in Asia and the muck around with faulty/damaged/counterfeit items or delayed shipping...

At the end of the day we all join this hobby to save $$$ yet end up falling down the rabbit hole collecting the next best thing, needless amounts of soap, razors, brushes and forgetting why we changed from the old way...

Yes @Razor Burn, you are right. My thinking now is that I will stop posting reviews as most of the comments that I get are negative (not necessarily from you), rather than constructive.

Australians have certainly changed over the past couple of decades, or maybe I have become too "Asianized".

take it easy man, Your sounding a little precious.. I just replied to your statement and I certainly wouldn’t buy anything from anyone that listed a product as something that it isn’t

your ‘asianized’ comment is reminiscent of a ‘the global times’ reply

I don't think the responses are negative as we have become spoiled for choice with plenty of high quality items available locally or overseas at a reasonable price.

Not to bash the Alibaba's/Aliexpresses as you can still find a true bargain under say $10 if you're willing to wait but people would prefer to spend that little extra grabbing something that's been proven to last and won't end up in landfill within 6 months.

Plus a lot of people have been put off by the ethical and moral practices from some sellers in Asia and the muck around with faulty/damaged/counterfeit items or delayed shipping...

At the end of the day we all join this hobby to save $$$ yet end up falling down the rabbit hole collecting the next best thing, needless amounts of soap, razors, brushes and forgetting why we changed from the old way...
Agreed, AliExpress has some great products, Yaqi being one of them, as are Oumo, DSCosmetics & Boti (just ask @58RW) The issue with AliExpress is you have 20 stores all selling the same products, i.e. Gold Dollar Razors, all at different prices, all listed as something different so they appear in as many searches a possible at different prices and no way to tell which is the real deal.

Consumers would rather buy something from a reputable dealer and pay more for quality and a warranty than buy something for $2 and potentially have to replace it or get 3 duds in the chase

That's why we have reviews.

Again, that's why we have reviews.

And again, that's why we have reviews.
For me a review is something to give people information to make a better informed decision, not something to be commented upon by someone without first hand knowledge of the product. Such uninformed comment does nothing to really better the knowledge for an informed decision. A good review thread should mainly contain the initial review, reviews by others with first-hand knowledge of the same product, and questions and answers about the product.

A lot of effort goes into preparing a good review. With what happens in review threads on P&C, I feel that this effort is often wasted.

Yes @Razor Burn, you are right. My thinking now is that I will stop posting reviews as most of the comments that I get are negative (not necessarily from you), rather than constructive.

Australians have certainly changed over the past couple of decades, or maybe I have become too "Asianized".

As a fellow Expat of S.E Asia for 12 years, the last 7 months spent in Australia have taught me you can never become too Asianised.

I enjoy your reviews, keep posting away. (y)

A lot of effort goes into preparing a good review. With what happens in review threads on P&C, I feel that this effort is often wasted.
Take a look (however briefly) at @Errol's razor reviews (sure, they do not pertain to straights, but nevertheless) and you'll see an effort that is not wasted.

That said, if my remarks regarding brushes (however true ;)) came across as disparaging, I apologise.

A Chinese generic brush sold under different brand names. Available on AliExpress for about AUD 2 (Sep. 2020) and other sites for more. Available from many vendors, just look around until you find one that has a price, shipping and delivery time that suites you.

An economical brush that pulls its weight far beyond its cost.

XC0D8mi.jpg

Pros:
  • Great value
  • Performs better than a lot of European brand-name brushes
  • Real timber handle
Cons:
  • Will not satisfy those who prefer expensive brushes
  • Smaller than most
This brush can be purchased for about AUD 2 (Sep. 2020) on AliExpress or for more on eBay, etc. The brush is often listed as "pure badger" however it is synthetic. What do you expect for the price.

With a 19mm knot, 53mm loft and overall height of 100mm, this is not a large brush. This has the advantage that the brush does not hog lather. Just a pea size of cream face lathered can give enough lather for three passes and some left over. The hair has a medium backbone with soft tips.

The handle is of natural timber with a clear lacquer finish and diameter is 34mm. The brush looses a hair or two with the first few uses, however after about 5 to 10 uses the brush hair stabilizes.

I have real badger brushes costing 20 to 50 time more than this brush and they are nowhere near even 2 to 5 times better. This brush is the one that I now most frequently pick. Try it. For the price, you can't waste your money!

Good review!

I remember years ago, before I researched synthetic brushes, I purchased an aluminium handle synthetic brush for $5...and it was surprisingly good!!

At that time, it had led me to do more research and buy the Plisson, which was the most hyped synthetic brush of those times.

Since then, I fell hard and have bought and sold over 50 synthetic brushes!

Now I'm down to my favorite 5 synthetic brushes.

All thanks to that $5 eBay synthetic brush!!

Another advantage (for me) it that being smaller and synthetic, this brush does not hog lather like most badger brushes do and needs only about half as much shaving cream to get the same result.

I know that shaving cream is cheap but I have to import mine so it is not that easy to obtain the good stuff.
Give Yaqi shaving a try. They have some new vegan shaving creams that are on sale at the moment and I have heard good things about it in other circles. Mine is currently at the post office awaiting collection :)

https://www.yaqishaving.com.au/collections/roar

For me a review is something to give people information to make a better informed decision, not something to be commented upon by someone without first hand knowledge of the product. Such uninformed comment does nothing to really better the knowledge for an informed decision. A good review thread should mainly contain the initial review, reviews by others with first-hand knowledge of the same product, and questions and answers about the product.
I would include the links to the item you are reviewing so that it can be purchased or looked at by other members. Might assist with people being able to view the item in more detail outside of a review/opinion piece :)

Correct, a lot of effort does go into a review, and no one has an issue with that or your reviews. A good review will also encourage discussions around the item itself. The points you made in your response to @Razor Burn don't really address his comments though. A review is not going to fix having to get the item replaced due to damage in transit because of poor packaging or spending a few months waiting for an item. Many people have bought from a seller and had items arrive and then when they put in an additional order later, the items never show up or appear 6 months later.

Again it comes back to the vast majority of cheap items are poor performers, with the obvious exceptions being this brush and stuff like Gold Dollars, Titan razors, Yaqi gear etc.

Side note: if you want to give some budget gear a crack, I recommend Apache DE blades as excellent DE blades

Apache-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Blade-Classic-Safety-Razor-Blade-Straight-Razor-Titanium-Blade-Made-USA.jpg