Clippers

eggbert

is full of Vision Collision
2018 Sabbatical
2017 Sabbatical
Da Menth Heads
Anyone use a set of hair clippers they would recommend?

I have previously bought cheapies, and never been happy with them, so am wondering about buying a reasonable set of Oster or Wahl clippers, as I am fed up of having to pay $25-30 for a basic haircut when I would be just as happy with a blade 3-4 buzzcut.

Wahl Professional Corded Hair Clippers Designer Gray Classic Series 8472 532E | eBay appears to be a good deal, but I can't find many reviews.

I paid around $40 for a Wahl set from eBay a while ago, and it's a solid bit of gear. Came with a selection of combs and oil. It's consistent and reliable, and it doesn't look like it'll break anytime soon. I used to use it every couple of days when I had a mohawk, I have no complaints. One thing you might want to consider is going cordless. It's not necessary, but it is mighty convenient if you're going to be using it a lot.

Wahl. Worth the money over the cheap shit you can find in shavershop etc.

I've had one for at least 20 years. Used to use it for neck tidys between haircuts. They're used regularly now I sport a No2 buzz, and cut my own hair. You get 4 combs and the flipper gives you a half adjustment.

Take the blades off and give it a decent clean twice a year. Oil it occasionally. I believeyou can even get the blades sharpened or replaced, I've never bothered.

Yeah, the rechargeable is probably the way to go. Then you can do it outside and you won't piss of the mrs with all the hair droppings.

MB sell em. You should get the usual discount too.

http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shop-by-brand/wahl.html

Last edited:
Another vote for Wahl here.

my wife uses them for pet grooming, most professionals do.

Mrs Egg pulled a face when I suggested clipping my own hair. Somehow she hasn't seen me with a buzzcut in all the time I have known her, which surprises me somewhat.

I think I'll go get it cut once like that at the local barbers to make sure she doesn't hate it too much before I go buy the Wahl's.

The Oster Titan looked interesting as it was a rotary clipper, but at $170+ delivery from Amazon was a bit rich for my tastes.

Wahl here all the way. I'm on my 3rd set of clippers... First two non-Wahl lasted 12 months & 18 months - the Wahls have been going 5 years so far and no sign of imminent death. Corded all the way like to have the electricity grid directly behind the motor :) and not a crummy battery. Afro balding clippers for me (Grade 000000) to leave a 0.35mm suede effect.

So any updates here?

I've returned to clipping - been running #1 weekly for the last couple of years…..though love the sounds of this Afro balding clipped Grade 000000 hmmmm….

I went through too many Remington, Braun, Sassoons. Sprung for a Pro Wahl (about $200) about 6 months ago, corded and now I'm sorted.

Still contending with the occasional but painful pimples (?) on the scalp - they're mighty annoying and persistent. Regular washing with MRGLO and moisturising with MooGoo helps but any other tips?

Are you shaving WTG as much as possible? It might just be that you're stripping the oils from your scalp too often, so your scalp is overcompensating and producing too much oil which in turn can cause pimples.

Really? I always drag the #1 against the grain - to get the hairs standing up. Hmmm….

Nothing to lose by having a crack that way, it used to work for me back in my mohawk days. Comb your hair out so it's puffy and separated beforehand too, it'll probably help a little also.

And here I was thinking all you head shavers were tough guys. Nothing but a just sharpened straight or perhaps the R41 with a new Feather in it, :)

And here I was thinking all you head shavers were tough guys. Nothing but a just sharpened straight or perhaps the R41 with a new Feather in it, :)
Nah if you carried the terrain of my scalp you too would leave a little fuzz in there just to hide a little of the hills, valleys and odd crater...

So any updates here?
I specifically requested a set of Wahl clippers for Christmas, and ended up with a set of these.
My wife hasn't yet learned that I research products I want to buy and find the best value item in my price range, so I ended up with that piece of crap.

I've used them once, and it took over 2 hours to finish. Maybe one more trim, then they are going in the bin.

I specifically requested a set of Wahl clippers for Christmas, and ended up with a set of these.
My wife hasn't yet learned that I research products I want to buy and find the best value item in my price range, so I ended up with that piece of crap.

Maybe she doesn't really like you :)

I've used them once, and it took over 2 hours to finish. Maybe one more trim, then they are going in the bin.

Come on eggy! Vidal Sasson.....Metro Turbo Power......Sounds a damn sight sexier than Wahl. Looks a lot better too. I think she was complimenting you (or dropping a hint!).

I know what you mean though. If you're going to buy something you rely on you might as well get the best. The only ones you see in barber shops doing the bizzo are mains powered Wahls . I've only got an el-cheapo, rechargeable piss ant one I use to do my mustache and even that pisses me off at times. Not sure if rechargeable ones are any good if you're using them to do the whole scalp. Don't seem to have the real grunt.

Sorry for the older thread revival but Sunday afternoonitis has kicked in.

You get a lot of patchy feedback about the entry level stuff that now permeates much of Wahl's range. Apart from the odd using a DE I've been using a shaver on zip (as short as possible) to cut what little is left of my hair for many a moon now - oddly the current shaver is an Aldi cheapie thats been going faultlessly for around 5yrs.

Like with a lot of these cheaper products I tend to think they're perfectly serviceable as long as you give them a bit of TLC - whereas the better products can solider through neglect a tad easier. So regular gulp of machine oil for it and a cleanout of the blades and it goes very well.

I'd never tried growing a beard before (always stopped at the 'Ah it's freaking driving me crazy with that itching - get it the f#@k off me!!!' stage) and liking the results ordered one of these from Amazon. Meant to be decent bit of kit and could get some use up top.

Personally I'd stick with corded unless you can get a Lithium powered product - I know a lot of units claim to be self oiling but I'd still put a dab on every now and then.

NB. I only bought that Remington as I have a Aus suitable 5v charger for it - otherwise the one it comes with is 110v - so don't buy one unless you're ware - you can buy from HN for around $60 with Aus charger for those more sane than me. ;-)

Reviving this thread because it is relevant to my interests. Started buzzing my head kind of recently (first few times at the barber, then started doing it myself with a cheap Remington I had been using on "other areas") and I want to buy a decent set of clippers. Is the consensus basically just buy a wahl in my price range or in the last couple of years are there some new stand outs? I don't care about the number of combs/attachments etc as I'm just doing a 0 all over. Advice?

I've used a Wahl Super Taper 2 for the last 6 years apart from keeping it lightly oiled and replacing the blades this year for just under $30 it hasn't missed a beat.

Just make sure to buy a corded commercial grade Wahl rather than the cheap entry level ones and you can't go wrong.