Cuban Highball - Ariana & Evans (Short review)

Phunk

As many of you know, I have a bit of a 'thing' for A&E shaving soaps and splashes.

The latest addition to the collection is now - Cuban Highball.

The descriptions of the scent is - Rum, lime, mint, sugar and tobacco.

In real life? - Fresh lime is the what you smell followed by a sweet-ish finish. Barely any mint or tobacco.

The splash on the other hand has the Lime and Rum scent with a touch of mint - still no tobacco.

Strength of Soap is 7/10 and Splash is about the same - 7/10

It lathers just like A&E does which is why I always go back for more, especially the Kaizen base. Doesn't need too much water and you get slickness for days.

Would I recommend? - of course. It's like all the other soaps and splashes where it's sensational to use and the smell is brilliantly fresh without being over-powering.

Vanille Tabac is still my Number 1, followed by St.Barts, the Cuban Highball is in the same ballpark as St.Barts.

I only have 2 of his soaps and splashes that I couldn't stand - Asian Pear and Plum. If you want to smell like a 60 year old woman that wears fake fur coats to Woolworths and got there in her 1982 Mercedes - these are the scents for you.

If you want to smell like a 60 year old woman that wears fake fur coats to Woolworths and got there in her 1982 Mercedes - this is the scent for you.

Now THAT is the line of the century so far ...

I don't think you understand how much I hated them, especially Plum.

It was sickly sweet and feminine. Not even a young feminine, it was a mid-menopause feminine.

Come on, tell us how you REALLY feel about them!

I don't think you understand how much I hated them, especially Plum.

It was sickly sweet and feminine. Not even a young feminine, it was a mid-menopause feminine.

That is certainly a choice of words.
Asian plum is one of those scents you either like it or you don't.

have you tried Peaches and Cognac? a truly amazing scent

Grecian Horse is also excellent

Man... I was torn between Peaches and Cuban.

I went for Cuban this time around but will definitely do the Peaches next fortnight.

Problem is, I'm one of those guys that always gets the matching splash.. I'm running out of room in my shaving cabinet.

I might 'gift' my Proraso range. They're there solely because I feel bad tossing them.

What's Grecian Horse like? is it similar to Spartacus? (I like Spartacus but it's not a summery scent, I use it during the colder periods)

I think you're being a bit overly charitable... :unsure:

Like @rhodes96 said, you either love it or hate it..

I gifted the soap and splash (plum) to my cousin who I got into DE shaving, he absolutely LOVES it. His wife on the other hand HATES it and says he smells too feminine.

Each to their own.. (I still hate it)

As many of you know, I have a bit of a 'thing' for A&E shaving soaps and splashes.

The latest addition to the collection is now - Cuban Highball.

The descriptions of the scent is - Rum, lime, mint, sugar and tobacco.

In real life? - Fresh lime is the what you smell followed by a sweet-ish finish. Barely any mint or tobacco.

The splash on the other hand has the Lime and Rum scent with a touch of mint - still no tobacco.

Strength of Soap is 7/10 and Splash is about the same - 7/10

It lathers just like A&E does which is why I always go back for more, especially the Kaizen base. Doesn't need too much water and you get slickness for days.

Would I recommend? - of course. It's like all the other soaps and splashes where it's sensational to use and the smell is brilliantly fresh without being over-powering.

Vanille Tabac is still my Number 1, followed by St.Barts, the Cuban Highball is in the same ballpark as St.Barts.

I only have 2 of his soaps and splashes that I couldn't stand - Asian Pear and Plum. If you want to smell like a 60 year old woman that wears fake fur coats to Woolworths and got there in her 1982 Mercedes - these are the scents for you.
Agree that Asian Plum smells like womens perfume and spoils what is otherwise a good performing soap. (n)

I sprayed it on my wrist once, spent the rest of the evening desperately trying to wash it off...

That's the thing.. I love scents that have a vanilla or Tonia bean base.

I'm still a Jean Paul Let Male die hard fan and actual Tom ford Vanilla De Tabac.

Agree, but not the new car smell type freshener, more like a Glade bathroom can.

If that's your interpretation of the scent,
then I think you may have an issue with peaches & cognac. I would advise getting hold of a sample !

If you like the darker A&E scents currently in production besides Vanille de Tabac, I recommend,
1 Khalifa ( Inspired by Nasomatto Black Afgano)
2 Revolution (Inspired by Victor & Rolf Spice bomb)
3 Club Baccara ( Inspired by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540)
4 Chasing the Dragon ( A&E original)
5 Forbidden Fruit ( A&E original)
6 The Club Signature (A&E original)

Special mention, although not as dark they are still darker accords of fougere's and orientals worth a mention.
7 Grecian Horse (Inspired by Parfums de Marly Pegasus)
8 Ouddiction (A&E origninal)
9 Cannablis Santal (A&E original)
10 Amber Rose (A&E original)
11 Monte Carlo (Inspired by Dior Sauvage)

Last edited:
...Asian Pear and Plum. If you want to smell like a 60 year old woman that wears fake fur coats to Woolworths and got there in her 1982 Mercedes - these are the scents for you.

Given the right sets of circumstances... that doesn’t actually sound too bad...

tenor.gif

Man... I was torn between Peaches and Cuban.

I went for Cuban this time around but will definitely do the Peaches next fortnight.

Problem is, I'm one of those guys that always gets the matching splash.. I'm running out of room in my shaving cabinet.

I might 'gift' my Proraso range. They're there solely because I feel bad tossing them.

What's Grecian Horse like? is it similar to Spartacus? (I like Spartacus but it's not a summery scent, I use it during the colder periods)

I am not to best at describing scents but to me its a very nice cologne scent.. has bergamot, almond and marzipan in it.

If it helps, I absolutely love Vanille de Tabac and hated both asian plum and asian pear (y)