Cuff Links

JugV2

Simply boring.
Does anyone here use cuff links on a regular basis?

I've just started to...bought my first set on Ebay recently for a massive $7!

Are they just wank factor or do you think they are classy?

Personally I think wearing double cuffed shirts and cuff links = WANKER.

Just what are you trying to prove?

This could depend on the job you do with some industries expecting/requiring you to look like a tool. Those are industrieds I would never work in, I am a manager in a chem lab and can wear jeans to work.

Are they just wank factor or do you think they are classy?

This really comes down to the circumstances in which you wear them and your own personal style. I switched jobs at the start of the year and invested quite a lot in a corporate-suitable wardrobe, but even having done that I can't pull off cuff links for every day business wear. I look like a twat trying to dress beyond my years. For formal occasions though, I have two tailored white shirts with french cuffs, so I picked up three sets of cuff links to match those and they look quite good. I have a few 'rules' for when I wear them though. Firstly, if I'm not wearing a jacket or blazer and a watch, no cuff links. Ever. Secondly, they should be understated and complimentary to your watch, belt buckle and the buttons on your jacket. If you wear a wedding ring or any other jewelry, make sure they match the cuff links too. Nothing looks worse than a mix of metals. Thirdly, I steer clear of themed or coloured ones because they're hard to match and can look a little tacky. If you do go down a themed path though, opt for something personal to you. I have a plain silver set with a celtic knot that I wear to family events, and they work because they're not lavish and reflect my heritage. Your footy club logo doesn't need to be on your wrist, for example.

Many people with a better idea would probably perceive the above as leading to boring choices, but I find it hard to go wrong with a plain silver set like these or a brushed silver set like these. An understated and complimentary look is classy, at least to me. Don't go too extravagant and make sure they match and it's hard to look silly.

Good points there.

I don't wear french cuffed shirts but coming into winter I am wearing my suit jacket more and more.

FYI I am in Real Estate so I do have a certain standard I like to dress to. I prefer to look professional rather than the open neck shirt with chest hair exploding over my collar.

The cuff links I wear are simple stainless steel ones, no colour or markings on them.

I do wear a wedding band of simple tungsten and triton with a celtic rune on it, so anything silver matches.

Last edited:
Good points there.

I don't wear french cuffed shirts but coming into winter I am wearing my suit jacket more and more.

FYI I am in Real Estate so I do have a certain standard I like to dress to. I do wear a wedding band of simple tungsten and triton with a celtic rune on it, so anything silver matches.

AS my late father would say You must look as flash as a rat with a gold tooth. For myself way way back when I wore such attire I found a nut and bolt did the trick quite well- these days, well I couldn't really tell you which of my shirts still had buttons on the sleeves. Sartorial elegance is not my strong suit.

AS my late father would say You must look as flash as a rat with a gold tooth. For myself way way back when I wore such attire I found a nut and bolt did the trick quite well- these days, well I couldn't really tell you which of my shirts still had buttons on the sleeves. Sartorial elegance is not my strong suit.

I can quite easily picture you with literally a rusted out bolt and nut poking through your buttoned up flanno too.

This is what I wear at the moment.

cufflinks.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the nut and bolt was a flannel shirt requirement.

Metric or imperial?

I guess it depends on whether you want to be a retro hipster, then you would have to go imperial, you could even go a whitworth thread to be really classy.

Metric or imperial?

I guess it depends on whether you want to be a retro hipster, then you would have to go imperial, you could even go a whitworth thread to be really classy.

I don't get the reference there...

I thought the nut and bolt was a flannel shirt requirement.

Despite your rather sad attempts at stereotyping, the nut and bolt cufflinks were worn long before I had even heard of Mt Druitt and just for the record I have never worn a flannelette shirt in my life. (Stubbys and a singlet are more my style :)

I have a few cuff shirts, but more by accident than choice.

I do wear them in winter, but they're annoying. I'm keyboarding a fair bit of the time and the bloody cuffs just get in the way.

They don't slip over my cardys too well either. Yes, i wear cardys to work, because I'm the kind of dude that can wear anything, and make it 'now'.

Thats true, you rock the shit out of a cardy.
I've discovered what a pain in the Marco using a keyboard is when wearing cuff links.

I have a couple of shirts with French Cuffs and a few pairs of discrete cufflinks, including a vintage pair I was given by a friend.

They don't work with keyboarding at all and need to be worn with discretion IMHO.

Last edited:
Thats true, you rock the shit out of a cardy.
I've discovered what a pain in the Marco using a keyboard is when wearing cuff links.

Surely a man with cuff-links has "people" for the menial tasks Juggy? I should expect you would merely dictate whilst so attired.

*coughgentlemenlycough*

I have one or two shirts that require them, but I generally don't wear them that often.

As per Drubbing's post, I find they get in the way of keyboard usage (which is an issue when you work in corporate I.T!)

This really comes down to the circumstances in which you wear them and your own personal style. I switched jobs at the start of the year and invested quite a lot in a corporate-suitable wardrobe, but even having done that I can't pull off cuff links for every day business wear. I look like a twat trying to dress beyond my years. For formal occasions though, I have two tailored white shirts with french cuffs, so I picked up three sets of cuff links to match those and they look quite good. I have a few 'rules' for when I wear them though. Firstly, if I'm not wearing a jacket or blazer and a watch, no cuff links. Ever. Secondly, they should be understated and complimentary to your watch, belt buckle and the buttons on your jacket. If you wear a wedding ring or any other jewelry, make sure they match the cuff links too. Nothing looks worse than a mix of metals. Thirdly, I steer clear of themed or coloured ones because they're hard to match and can look a little tacky. If you do go down a themed path though, opt for something personal to you. I have a plain silver set with a celtic knot that I wear to family events, and they work because they're not lavish and reflect my heritage. Your footy club logo doesn't need to be on your wrist, for example.

Many people with a better idea would probably perceive the above as leading to boring choices, but I find it hard to go wrong with a plain silver set like these or a brushed silver set like these. An understated and complimentary look is classy, at least to me. Don't go too extravagant and make sure they match and it's hard to look silly.

Well said Mong.

I work mostly in uniform but on rare occasions when not wearing one I like to wear cuff-links, boutonnieres and pocket squares when wearing a blazer. I think one should not only focus on the cuff-links but the buttonhole of the shirt as well. The buttonhole should be located in the middle of the cuff and positioned rather closely to the edge because otherwise it is too tight and looks odd.

I’ve read that they say that in Britain, sometimes the buttonhole is located at the front of the cuff to display more of your cuff-links. In continental Europe, and especially in Germany, this feature was usually only seen on evening shirts or morning dress rather than on general day shirts.

One must also note that if you are a watch wearer to make sure to leave enough space beneath the cuff for the biggest wrist watch you would wear with that particular shirt. I’m a watch wearer and found by sizing one cuff slightly larger through alteration made by a tailor works quite well. Even then, there are sometimes huge differences in the size of watches, which means that some watches can only be paired with some of your shirts.

As an afterthought I think what you prefer is simply a matter of taste.