Cut by a GEM

JugV2

Simply boring.
So as mentioned in the Shave of the Day thread, I tried a GEM for the first time and sliced myself up pretty bad.

Right side lower neck
IMAG0584.jpg

Left side jawline and cheek
IMAG0587.jpg

This is from one pass with the GEM and of course I stopped and used a DE for the remainder.

1. I don't think I had the blade seated properly.
2. I didn't know what angle to hold the head on, and I was unable to "feel" the right spot for it to work at optimum angle.
3. Should I just hang up the SE and stick to DE?

Last edited:
That looks to me like you were cutting in the direction of the stroke.

While technique may not be great I don't think it was that different from a DE when I first used it and I'd be surprised that poor technique would cause that much damage.

Can you post pics of the razor? Looks to me like it would be a problem

No problem, here are a few pics taken with my phone.

IMAG0589.jpg

This is probably the best shot
IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0590.jpg

Let me know if you want a different angle or a different part.

In attachment 233, on the right hand side, it looks like the blade is not under the notch/tab thingy like it is on the left hand side. That protruding point of the blade would no doubt put those slices on you.
God, that must have hurt.

The notch is there but it isn't as long as the one on the left. It does hold the blade in though.

That might have been the cause I guess.

It didn't hurt immediately, it took a little bit to register. Feather blades feel the same when using them so I didn't quite realise that it was cutting me.

Well to me the hardware seems to be the problem. I've made some scrawls on the pics see below.

Other more dedicated SE users may chime in but what happened to you is certainly not the goal

(For full size image click here)

I'm no expert on SEs but this one may be a chuck in the bin job. I've got one that I know works I can send you if you PM me your address. I promise it will not give these results!

Last edited:
Cheers for that Mark. I can see what you mean. I doubt I will be shaving for a few days as I need to heal. As I still have a handful of blades from Glen I will take you up on that offer, as I am keen to have a success with SE.

To the bin with this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they are not cuts like an SE would give you if you are doing it wrong. They are scrapes, either from a burr, or the RHS corner of the blade going by mark's pic.

Cheers for that Mark. I can see what you mean. I doubt I will be shaving for a few days as I need to heal. As I still have a handful of blades from Glen I will take you up on that offer, as I am keen to have a success with SE.

To the bin with this one!

Now I feel incredibly guilty. From now on I will be testing all razors before PIFing. My sincere apologies to you Jug.

Hey Glen, whilst I can appreciate your position please do not feel at all responsible.

I chose to ask for the razor and I chose to put it against my face.

Completely my decision.

You were kind enough to send it and I appreciate that.

Hey Glen, whilst I can appreciate your position please do not feel at all responsible.

I chose to ask for the razor and I chose to put it against my face.

Completely my decision.

You were kind enough to send it and I appreciate that.

Thanks for that Jugs. I must admit I have never struck a problem before - I get em in whack in blade and scrape away. Thats really why I never thought of any of them having a problem or defect. Glad to hear your going to persevere and I have a few more here I can (test first) and then flick to you.

Thanks for that Jugs. I must admit I have never struck a problem before - I get em in whack in blade and scrape away. Thats really why I never thought of any of them having a problem or defect. Glad to hear your going to persevere and I have a few more here I can (test first) and then flick to you.

Glen,

I learnt the hard way myself when I sold a razor I'd not properly checked out myself (the buyer was in a rush for it) so don't beat yourself up over it.