Decided to update the Karve

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Some months ago I bought a stainless Karve with #C and #D (SB) plates.
After a few shaves with #C I went to the #D plate. Still not what I wanted...so ordered the #E plate.
Been using that for some time now, but still not quite what I want.
So today ordered the #F, and #G plates (SB).
Tossed up about just getting a .95 SB or SCL base for the Timeless, but the Karve gives me more plates to play with (to 'fine tune' my shave).
I think the Karve #E was about the same as the (now sold) Wolfman WR2 1.15 in closeness of shave. Just that I really want/need 'something' a tad closer.
As you lot pointed out all the fabulous soaps I didn't know about, and I tossed out all the cheap rubbish I had then bought Stirling, etc I find that I do enjoy a closer shave that also feels comfortable.
Didn't bother looking at Muhle R41...nothing zamac will ever sit in my bathroom again.
If I'm still not happy I guess I'll have to get a Taiga or Rex.
Anyway, hope all you good folks are safe and well.

If anyone from Australia is thinking about ordering from Karve, please let me know as I'd like to get a brass SB-E plate and we can share postage costs.

If anyone from Australia is thinking about ordering from Karve, please let me know as I'd like to get a brass SB-E plate and we can share postage costs.
I am considering it. However, from memory they offered free shipping last year during the Black Friday sales in November, so I will not be getting anything until then.

Yes, but quite expensive, especially for a small order.

LlFIQLG.jpg

But does in stock really mean 'in stock'?

" In stock " means they have the raw materials to make the razor. Razors and hardware are made on a customer by customer basis and shipped in lots.

Still another 3-4 weeks + shipping before the item is in your hands.

I asked Chris first before ordering and he said both plates were immediately available as he had just finished the passivation process and put the plates into inventory.
Time will tell.

I asked Chris first before ordering and he said both plates were immediately available as he had just finished the passivation process and put the plates into inventory.
Time will tell.
Hey Horse, grab a bloody V8 chainsaw, because, you’re a real badass smartass puss who can shave with real HORSEPOWER!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Well, the new Karve SB plates have arrived already. Only 10 days to get here from Canada...can't complain about that.
Will use the #F plate tomorrow, but thought you might like to see the 2 wee boxes the plates came in.

Spot the #G plate box?
Hmmm...all my life I've wanted to shave with a cleaver (not!).
Will see how the shaves go...or...'hold my beer and watch this'.

Well, the new Karve SB plates have arrived already. Only 10 days to get here from Canada...can't complain about that.
Will use the #F plate tomorrow, but thought you might like to see the 2 wee boxes the plates came in.

Spot the #G plate box?
Hmmm...all my life I've wanted to shave with a cleaver (not!).
Will see how the shaves go...or...'hold my beer and watch this'.

The G is nothing like a cleaver. Very smooth and efficient. Enjoy the shaves.

First shave with #F plate was fine.
Did a couple of laps around my face and all is well.
Can feel the difference between the #E plate. The jump from #C to #D to #E wasn't felt so much, but can feel a touch of blade with the #F.
New Perma-sharp (Russian) was used with Stirling Bay Rum.
All in all a good shave.

#G plate this morning. Used the same Perma-Sharp blade from the last 2 mornings, and Stirling 'Bay Rum'.
Yes it's smooth. Will try some more (different) blades over the next few shaves.
Do I like it? It's OK and easy to use the #G plate but 'probably' still not quite the shave I want. I can feel a slight tenderness to my face but the blade was on it's 3rd shave and I did have a wee buff in a couple of places without adding more lather.
The #G plate could easily be a daily driver, and it certainly knocked over a wee patch of whiskers under my jaw that normally needs a couple of passes to clean up.
I think I liked the Timeless .95 OC better.
Time will tell.
It really is a matter of YMMV.
I'm fairly sure I'll keep the Karve as I now have plates #C, #D, E, #F, and #G. As time goes by and my skin changes I can 'adjust' my shaves by fine degrees with all those plates to choose from.
Maybe I 'really' need a new adjustable.
I'd buy a Rex but have seen photos on other forums of brand new Rex razors delivered with bent top caps. Seems like the QC is not very good now.
A Taiga would be nice too...but good luck with getting one of those any time soon.

#G plate this morning. Used the same Perma-Sharp blade from the last 2 mornings, and Stirling 'Bay Rum'.
Yes it's smooth. Will try some more (different) blades over the next few shaves.
Do I like it? It's OK and easy to use the #G plate but 'probably' still not quite the shave I want. I can feel a slight tenderness to my face but the blade was on it's 3rd shave and I did have a wee buff in a couple of places without adding more lather.
The #G plate could easily be a daily driver, and it certainly knocked over a wee patch of whiskers under my jaw that normally needs a couple of passes to clean up.
I think I liked the Timeless .95 OC better.
Time will tell.
It really is a matter of YMMV.
I'm fairly sure I'll keep the Karve as I now have plates #C, #D, E, #F, and #G. As time goes by and my skin changes I can 'adjust' my shaves by fine degrees with all those plates to choose from.
Maybe I 'really' need a new adjustable.
I'd buy a Rex but have seen photos on other forums of brand new Rex razors delivered with bent top caps. Seems like the QC is not very good now.
A Taiga would be nice too...but good luck with getting one of those any time soon.

Glad to see your review of the G plate.(y)
Definately try new blades and don't let the blades go over 3 uses especially with the efficiency of the G plate.

I settled on the F plate as my daily driver for the Karve. Works well for me. I can BBS everything in 2 passes except for above my top lip area, therefore I only call the shave a DFS.