Detroit Grooming Alpha

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
I came across these DE's a while back, but they were out of stock at the time. Then something cropped up today across one of my SM feeds so I thought it was worth a post.

This looks like an affordable entry point stainless razor (AUD $155 give or take). I'm not too sure on the performance of these however as I have not spent the time researching them or reading any of the reviews.

My first observation would be the head shares a similar dimension to the Blackbird, especially the manner in which the blade is held within the head itself. I'm betting this razor would 'sing' real nice, my blackbird certainly does. It's also an adjustable!

I did a forum search and could not see another thread for these, apologies if this has already been posted/discussed.

Detroit Grooming Alpha Website

baHLigq.jpg

Whaaat... 220grams
  • Head: 3 Piece Adjustable (Double Peg Bar)
  • Weight: 7.75oz (220g)
  • Height: 3.93" (100mm)
  • Handle Diameter: 0.79" (20mm)
  • Handle Finish: Smooth
Can't find anything on it either. And am puzzled by the adjustable comment via their site as it looks like from the pictures that you just loosen or tighten the handle.
Which is possible with every razor so thinking just a marketing comment.
Head looks good and similar to Blacklands razors and I guess if the handle is too heavy you could use another handle unlike the blackbirds.

Last edited:
Can't find anything on it either. And am puzzled by the adjustable comment via their site as it looks like from the pictures that you just loosen or tighten the handle.

They are adjustable, from reading FB feeds its a base handle adjustment however there is no position indicator which kind of sucks. Still, at that price it might be worth a shot for some people, Im tempted by the weight alone as I like a heavy razor.

I'm not sure that you could replace the handle due to the adjustment mechanism, I think its a similar deal to the Progress, etc.

Certainly a hefty piece of steel. Be interesting to see how you can go back to yesterday's setting if you slacken everything off at the end of the shave or do a blade swap. Looking forward to some reviews before proceeding too far.

Certainly a hefty piece of steel. Be interesting to see how you can go back to yesterday's setting if you slacken everything off at the end of the shave or do a blade swap. Looking forward to some reviews before proceeding too far.

Yes I agree, in between changing blades rediscovering your ideal shave position would be a complete pain, some type of graduated indicator on the base where the adjustment is made would remedy this easily though, it's a pity they did not think of this prior.

They are adjustable, from reading FB feeds its a base handle adjustment however there is no position indicator which kind of sucks. Still, at that price it might be worth a shot for some people, Im tempted by the weight alone as I like a heavy razor.

I'm not sure that you could replace the handle due to the adjustment mechanism, I think its a similar deal to the Progress, etc.

Think @Blackie hit it on the head(y). Looks like the base plate flips. Handle looks solid like a normal three piece razor.

Nice, think you are right (y) Missed it :whistle:

Edit* think I'm wrong now. If based flipped it doesnt look possible to put the cap on from the angle I can see it at.

Just sent email to Detroit grooming to clarify.

Last edited:
Think @Blackie hit it on the head(y). Looks like the base plate flips. Handle looks solid like a normal three piece razor.

It does indeed look like a traditional razor, but the handle effects an adjustment in the blade angle which is a very clever way of doing things as blade angle has far more impact than simply blade gap which most people mistakenly think is the determining factor when it comes to razor efficiency.... from the website "The angle of the blade can go from aggressive to relaxed with a simple turn of the handle."

The adjustment is possible due to the way the razor has been engineered, if you take a look at the top cap and baseplate you can see how it is done - the blade is held firmly in a convex position (like the blackbird) therefore the convex can be reduced by using the handle to gently wind down the thread... if only it were marked!

As I see it, the only issue is that the gradient for adjustment on the bottom of the handle is not indicated on the handle base, thus the potential for issues finding the sweet spot when you swap out a blade.

Response I got from Detroit Grooming:

"Our Alpha handle is 6.5oz (~180g) without the head. With the head it’s around 8oz (so head ~40g) I don’t think it will work with any other handle. It is custom made. The adjustment is in the head via handle turn."

There you go. Still not clear to me and am still guessing how it works. No mention of thread size or metric by them as they either don't know or want us to know.
Postive, was a very quick response for this time of year.
So a no go from me as I'd use another lighter handle with it and their response is unclear.

A 220 gram razor would feel very unwieldy to me, but to each their own.

Did you guys see this armour piercing model in their lineup, what the hell??? https://detroitgrooming.com/collections/safety-razors/products/50-caliber-safety-razor

Yes saw it earlier and looks like a very generic head and thread. Might patina nicely :joyful:
As for me I'm staying away :unsure:

Thanks @todras for bringing it to our attention.

Response I got from Detroit Grooming:

"Our Alpha handle is 6.5oz (~180g) without the head. With the head it’s around 8oz (so head ~40g) I don’t think it will work with any other handle. It is custom made. The adjustment is in the head via handle turn."

There you go. Still not clear to me and am still guessing how it works. No mention of thread size or metric by them as they either don't know or want us to know.
Postive, was a very quick response for this time of year.
So a no go from me as I'd use another lighter handle with it and their response is unclear.

Yes saw it earlier and looks like a very generic head and thread. Might patina nicely :joyful:
As for me I'm staying away :unsure:

Thanks @todras for bringing it to our attention.

It is very clear how the adjustment works: I have clearly explained it to you, it is on their website and they have also explained it to you in their email.

Aside from the different base-plates which represent blade gaps, the adjustment is made to the blade angle by turning the handle at the base. This action either reduces or increases the blade angle which either increases or decreases the efficiency of the shave.

:)

@todras it wasn't clear to me as it is to you :blackeye: or maybe I'm slow :) From what I can work out the handle loosens the top cap so the blade angle changes to a more agressive placement. 'Exactly' like a half turn on a normal three piece?
Please correct me if wrong but IMHO that is not a special adjustment feature:meh:
So my confusion is based on this specific marketing feature and not something unique hence why I am/was confused.

Would of been nice to use with another handle, alas this is not the case :cyclops:

@todras it wasn't clear to me as it is to you :blackeye: or maybe I'm slow :) From what I can work out the handle loosens the top cap so the blade angle changes to a more agressive placement. 'Exactly' like a half turn on a normal three piece?

Due to the design of the razor head, the blade is held in an extreme convex position the loosening or tightening does not effect the seating of the blade between base-plate and cap. If you loosen a regular razor you risk the blade stuttering or even jumping right off the posts. They have basically 'lifted' Blacklands engineering work in producing this, or at least appropriated the design concept.

Would of been nice to use with another handle, alas this is not the case

This exactly man, if it were possible to use the head I would have bought one just for the baseplate and cap alone. I personally can't stand smooth handles (wolfmanG) and switch them out for something else.

End of the day it's an interesting razor, it takes the Blackbird concept and refines the function a little. It's not going to be a razor for everyone, but at the $150 or so price point its an affordable alternative to the Blackbird that some people might like. It's also an interesting razor to discuss online, like many of the new ones.

@todras thanks mate!! Totally got it now and that makes sense to me (y)
Thank you, best explanation so far ;)
Very interesting design in hindsight.
Agree, it also just missed the mark for me and rekindles my interest in the design it copied.

My Alpha arrived today so I can confirm that the way @todras described the mechanism is 100% correct. No adjusting marks are engraved as reference points. I haven't used the razor but the handle at 20mm dia is hugh. There is no requirement for a stand with that big end propping everything up. The handle has a flat end (not inletted like the Blackbird) so any handle will work. The good thing is the UFO handle screwed straight in and worked well. My big complaint at this time is the amount of blade exposure on the ends of the head. I did not measure it but it looks and feels about 1mm at each end. With the blade having to be bent significantly when screwed down the only way to hold the head is on the end. The end of the blade is just not comfortable between the thumb and finger as the handle is screwed down. With the weight of everything else I cannot understand why they wanted to save weight there. The handle give plenty of leverage though.

The razor comes in a calico bag with a draw string. inside that bage is a nice leather pouch protecting the razor. The razor has a machined finish but does have the Detroit emblem nicely engraved on the flat of the cap. Be interesting when I have a shave.