Disappointed buys

Adam

Being in Australia has its downfalls when buying shaving gear.

I have been burnt so many times buying soaps in particular, but even brushes and razors after seeing amazing online reviews.
After Paying crazy shippping costs and waiting long periods of time to receive something your expecting to blow your socks off then Bitter dissatisfaction as the priduct doesn't perform or the scent isn't what you expected.

What are some of the most dissapointrd buys you guys have received of recent?
For me I think ill go with my soap commander passion soap and matching balm. I remember trading it on here a while back but it still gets me!

On a bi note why don't we do more group buys or even state group buys to save on shipping on here? I almost daily see people post on new products threads, big new soap orders and think to myself if I had of known I would have gone in on shipping and got a few things? Just a thought.

Over the years, I've had many disappointing purchases. Most of them were actually vintage razors for the simple reason that they didn't work for me at all.

Other things were certain brushes and many, many soaps which really disappointed. Probably too many to list out here.

It's just the way it goes since we don't have physical stores to visit and check out products we are interested in. The postage expense and wait times is an extra annoyance and adds to the risk if the product doesn't turn out to our liking.

COL CONK *grumbles and mutters under his breath*

As for group buys, I've tried to bring two into fruition, only to have either the manufacturer or the intermediary let me down and change the goal posts mid game.
I'm not going to support that shit, let alone open you guys to that level of risk!
Either they honour their word, or they're out upon their tails.

If you've an idea for a GB, give it a shot.
Figure out what you would expect to make it worth our while, seek from them what they're able to offer, itf it matches or exceeds what you feel its reasonable, PM @Monsta_AU to gain his feedback and if agreed, approval, then either rung an EOI, or a GB if an EOI is not required.

A Gillette Red Tip razor, B&M Lavanille and my recent purchase of two Caties Bubbles soaps cone to mind. Totally a YMMV situation and all are fine things but I was gutted they didn't perform for me like I wanted them too.

What I like is that our community has members who will always take your mistakes off your hands...

A Gillette Red Tip razor, B&M Lavanille and my recent purchase of two Caties Bubbles soaps cone to mind. Totally a YMMV situation and all are fine things but I was gutted they didn't perform for me like I wanted them too.

What I like is that our community has members who will always take your mistakes off your hands...
The Red Tip...maybe, the Caties Bubbles...i get it...BUT @Greenpike ...the Lavanille...I can't believe it mate...its a cracker (IMHO):ROFLMAO:

Beard n Blade (an australian company) recently burnt me....on a bloody tub of proraso green of all soaps!, no apology, dragging their feet with shipping the product once it was all sorted out. waited close to 7 days for a simple order just to ship!

just use @shavetheman and you will always be looked after

Most of my disappointments have been due to sensitive skin and aftershaves/balms. Couple of misses on scents, which have made me think I need to educate my nose around individual essential/fragrance oils so I can identify better what I like and dislike.

As for group buys, it's hard being in Qld as there never seems to be too many active members around Brisbane. Tony and I will grab some things separate to P&C to make shipping cheaper (though it ends up costing me more as I keep seeing new brushes I want to buy when I pick stuff up). Happy for people to shoot me a pm if they're interested in jumping in on the occasional order, but just be aware it wouldn't be a group buy as such, and not sanctioned by P&C.

It's a B&M scent thing... I've only really liked their Roam. I am certain that it went to a good home, tho.

Yes, B&M is another one for me, some of the best performing soaps out but the scents are not my thing at all.
The amount of times I've spent $100+ on a international soap order and once received dislike all of the scents, is hard to swallow.

I was thinking more of a thread Brocken down in to states where people who are doing a international order can post what they are doing and if 1-2 people want to jump in to keep postage costs down? Not so much a forum group buy as im sure that is a nightmare to coordinate.

Mitchell's Wiil Fat is so highly respected, but I didn't enjoy it at all. Call it operator error or YMMV.
@Benjamin you poor baby can't master the secret FAT!
giphy.gif

I was thinking more of a thread Brocken down in to states where people who are doing a international order can post what they are doing and if 1-2 people want to jump in to keep postage costs down? Not so much a forum group buy as im sure that is a nightmare to coordinate.

I think this is a good idea to get to the free shipping threshold.

Thing with GB's is unless you are within pick up range, the added postage within Australia, even across the same town is usually enough to make it not worth the while IMHO. There are folks here from Townsville, Mackay and Brisbane. All in Qld but some 1300km apart.

What have my disappointments been? Plenty of soaps, both due to scent and performance. Brushes I have been pretty happy with although one lately was a disappointment due to the tips not being what I expect but I am hoping it will break in. Razors have come and gone but no real heartbreak there, just not what I was after. It happens, sell it and move on. What is the option?

I think my disappointments have been a few of the the Myrsols, namely Don Miguel and Formula K. Just didnt like the scents. I love the Agua Balsalmica and the Plastic shave though. It just shows the diversity of a range, which is to be expected. They cant all be winners!!

Thing with GB's is unless you are within pick up range, the added postage within Australia, even across the same town is usually enough to make it not worth the while IMHO.
This.
Postage across Melbourne is normally more than Spain to Melbourne for example.

My biggest disappointment was Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. Amazing scent, but it irritated my face something rotten. Happily, it went to a good home.
I've been a little disappointed with the consistency of P&B. Some soaps excellent, some not so much. PAA and Catie's Bubbles the same.
Most razors I've been happy with - except for a few dodgy eBay vintage straights - and was mostly unhappy due to them being too mild (Red Tip, iKon X3, EJ89)

Anything I have ever bought off @stillshunter.

Not really - the only thing I can think off is some blades which I thought might be vintage French stainless Gillette blades, but ended up being carbon - and to my face unusable.

I've also had soap scents I wasn't that keen on, but have usually managed to shift them on without too much financial loss. I've been lucky, and have mostly missed out on the really bad, unlatherable soaps.