Dismantle a Gillette Aristocrat

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Quick 'How To' for those who need to know.
First...you need your Aristocrat.

Then you need a 'special' screwdriver. You can just use a hacksaw, or fine file to make this. I used my Dremel and it took all of 2 minutes to do.
You need that wee slot because of the fancy screw that Gillette used.
WARNING: It's left hand thread. So turn the screw clockwise to remove it. If you cock this bit up then you don't have enough ability to be attempting this repair.

Here's the screw.

Now you need to squeeze in the little 'ears' that stop the whole thing coming apart. I've just used the screwdriver to highlight one set so you don't get lost.

Now gently wind the silo doors knob (that's the knobby at the end of the handle).
You may have to work on those ears a wee bit more if they get stuck going out through their locating slots.
Here's the slots that the ears must slide out through.

Now you should have it all stripped apart.
Give it a good clean, or panel beat it. Whatever you are in there for.

This part can get bent. The actual threaded rod, or that frame (may need a tweak to make the doors align properly).
Just be gentle. It's all brass in there.

Reassemble in the reverse of how it came apart.
The little 'ears' may need a wee help to align properly through their slots.
The doors will need to be held in a 'not quite' fully open stance before you start winding the knob (to start the thread).
If it jams, then the doors aren't in quite the right spot yet. Back off, and try again.
Once in the right place the whole thing will just wind in and be ready for you to put the wee screw back in (LH thread remember, so turn to the Left to wind the screw in).
As for the little 'ears'...I wouldn't bother with trying to tweak them outwards again. I think you will simply wreck the razor more. Just leave them squeezed in and take care at blade change time.
Hopefully that will help some of you with a grubby Aristocrat that needs cleaning or repairing, or you want to strip it down for replating.
And yes...this is the buggered Aristocrat that USPS wrecked for me.
It's not worth saving as the frame and base are still bent so I didn't mind pulling it apart to show you how.

Last edited:
Stripping down razors is easy..it's putting them back together! 😁 I have a dismantled 73 super adjustable I can't gey back together as the crimp point is so high up the handle.

I know what you mean. This razor had the head torn off the handle.
I made a wee punch from a 6" nail, gently worked away at getting the handle back through the baseplate, then peened the whole thing together again.
It fits quite tight now, but it's all a tad too bent to be an actual razor to use again.

Quick 'How To' for those who need to know.
First...you need your Aristocrat.

Then you need a 'special' screwdriver. You can just use a hacksaw, or fine file to make this. I used my Dremel and it took all of 2 minutes to do.
You need that wee slot because of the fancy screw that Gillette used.
WARNING: It's left hand thread. So turn the screw clockwise to remove it. If you cock this bit up then you don't have enough ability to be attempting this repair.

Here's the screw.

Now you need to squeeze in the little 'ears' that stop the whole thing coming apart. I've just used the screwdriver to highlight one set so you don't get lost.

Now gently wind the silo doors knob (that's the knobby at the end of the handle).
You may have to work on those ears a wee bit more if they get stuck going out through their locating slots.
Here's the slots that the ears must slide out through.

Now you should have it all stripped apart.
Give it a good clean, or panel beat it. Whatever you are in there for.

This part can get bent. The actual threaded rod, or that frame (may need a tweak to make the doors align properly).
Just be gentle. It's all brass in there.

Reassemble in the reverse of how it came apart.
The little 'ears' may need a wee help to align properly through their slots.
The doors will need to be held in a 'not quite' fully open stance before you start winding the knob (to start the thread).
If it jams, then the doors aren't in quite the right spot yet. Back off, and try again.
Once in the right place the whole thing will just wind in and be ready for you to put the wee screw back in (LH thread remember, so turn to the Left to wind the screw in).
As for the little 'ears'...I wouldn't bother with trying to tweak them outwards again. I think you will simply wreck the razor more. Just leave them squeezed in and take care at blade change time.
Hopefully that will help some of you with a grubby Aristocrat that needs cleaning or repairing, or you want to strip it down for replating.
And yes...this is the buggered Aristocrat that USPS wrecked for me.
It's not worth saving as the frame and base are still bent so I didn't mind pulling it apart to show you how.
Great post, @Blackie! (y)