Do you have any 'unpopular' blade opinions?

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
not sure why but everyone LOVES these blades, obviously it's a personal taste thing but I think the Astra SS is superior.

Got any unpopular prefrences?
Haha sooty I changed the title to encourage some talk, the astra SP is the blade in question

Last edited:
Don't know which blades you're referring to, but I mainly use Astra SPs, although Polsilvers are my latest like, and I have a soft spot for 7 O'clock yellows.
i have no love for polsilvers or the yellows.. how strange, id sooner take a derby

I had a bad experience with Dorco blades. In the very mild Muhle I was using three out of ten blades did not work at all. Did not bother to finish off the pack.
Reasonable, can't say I've ever heard good things about the dorcos.
I've had a few tucks sitting under the sink for years

I agree!!! For me, the Dorco is exactly like a Feather that has its edges scraped across a brick a dozen times! More drag than the gay Mardi Gras! When I first came back to wet shaving I bought a hundred of the things... "What could go wrong," I figured! And then, of course there's Big Ben... talk about inconsistency! Oh... and Super-Max Platinum! No wonder that Super-Max sounds like a prison!

Unpopular blade opinions?

Yes, they are all crap compared to a well honed straight.

giphy.gif

A lot more than my DE blades! As a hobbyist knife-maker, I'm no stranger to honing... it's not the honing that turns me off straights... it's the thought of a slashed throat! And I know where that phobia comes from! One day in 1967 in Malacca, Malaysia, (ironically on the edge of Malacca Straits,) Being a neat soldier, I rather stupidly went into a barbershop for a haircut and shave. After a rather pleasant hot towel routine, the 40s something very attractive and surprisingly buxom Chinese lady "barber" produced a hideous cut-throat razor and started dragging it across my face and neck, while her three young children looked on in obvious anticipation of a bloodbath. Now at this time there were still quite a lot of Chin Peng's Communist terrorists at large who were mostly Chinese and sworn to rid Malaya of the "white Raj!" "As the kids watched on, she asked, still holding the bloody razor, "Do you like to come out back for a jiggi? What about I sit on you lap, isn't it?" That was when I got the (almost) white towel, scrubbed off the lather, gave her way too much money, and got the hell out of there!

Unpopular blade opinions?

Yes, they are all crap compared to a well honed straight.

giphy.gif
Apples and oranges :) besides... artist club blades are sharper than any traditional straight :)

Looks like a straight is an unpopular option! I love Artist Club Super Pro blades in my AC DX kami - I guess they may be "unpopular" too!

@UKSteve, without derailing the thread, is there a particular blade maintenance / stropping / honing regimen that you generally abide by that you can link to? I love my Artist Club and would love a straight but blade maintenance scares me, now I am used to some very good blades...

@RazorPlay for a starter I would definitely get razors honed by a pro. My starters were all done by a pro up to a Gok 20k. This will give you a reference point.

Stropping

I just followed LA's advice and it works for me. I have a number of strops but almost solely use a Pelican vintage made by kanayama. I have been toying with getting a livi loom strop, which is what LA uses towards the end of the video.

i dont see what the rave reviews for polsilvers are about i found them to be an okay blade at best.and kais ive never had another blade tear up my face like them. they are sharp but about as smooth as sandpaper or a 9 inch grinder.

i dont see what the rave reviews for polsilvers are about i found them to be an okay blade at best.and kais ive never had another blade tear up my face like them. they are sharp but about as smooth as sandpaper or a 9 inch grinder.
So I take it, you've never tried Feathers before? I find Kai's as smooth as a dolphin skin in comparison to Feathers :D