Do you like waxdots on razorblades or not - tell us why

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
What if I told you the wax doesn’t matter?

There are some wet shavers that don’t like wax on the DE blades, so it’s a good idea to have a list of blades brand available on the market for showing no or very small wax dots. There’s heaps of other blades brand are still out there showing too much wax dots on the DE blades, sometimes showing only one side of the blade and others brand do showing too much on both sides of the blade.

Last edited:
I understand the premise- I’m saying it doesn’t matter.

YMMV

I loath excessive wax dots especially when,

1. Paper wrapper needs to be ripped apart to remove the blade. ( possible injury)
2. Blade sticks to to the top cap or bottom plate and requires an external piece of equipment to safely remove. ( possible injury)
3. Wax build up on safety razor parts requires more than a normal rinse and dry.

YMMV

I loath excessive wax dots especially when,

1. Paper wrapper needs to be ripped apart to remove the blade. ( possible injury)
2. Blade sticks to to the top cap or bottom plate and requires an external piece of equipment to safely remove. ( possible injury)
3. Wax build up on safety razor parts requires more than a normal rinse and dry.
Different strokes I guess- literally none of these things have ever been an issue in my experience, just peel n go.

but in what world does the wax dots make it a hard to peel wrapper? And how are you guys cutting yourselves with them, don’t grab the sharp bit.

am I crazy- it’s just not a problem..

Last edited:
but in what world does the wax dots make it a hard to peel wrapper? And how are you guys cutting yourselves with them, don’t grab the sharp bit.

am I crazy- it’s just not a problem..

Your not crazy, but you obviously haven't experienced what I have.

One of my favourite brands of blades Astra Superior Stainless, has become a pain to unwrap. These new laser marked blades in the white wrapper are stuck together with very tacky wax dots. I recently got hit with a blade that also got stuck to the top cap and could not pry apart without a paddle pop stick I had lying around. The blade had no exposed blade tabs to grab hold of and was flush to the top cap.

Too much is a pain sometimes, but a bit, is ok so the edge does not dull with the paper borders
giphy.gif

Your not crazy, but you obviously haven't experienced what I have.

One of my favourite brands of blades Astra Superior Stainless, has become a pain to unwrap. These new laser marked blades in the white wrapper are stuck together with very tacky wax dots. I recently got hit with a blade that also got stuck to the top cap and could not pry apart without a paddle pop stick I had lying around. The blade had no exposed blade tabs to grab hold of and was flush to the top cap.

Especially in a wet bathroom after a shower and the paper is ripping. Also have to wonder if excessive wax on a blade can act as a shim lifting one end and upsetting the balance of that perfect shave

Especially in a wet bathroom after a shower and the paper is ripping. Also have to wonder if excessive wax on a blade can act as a shim lifting one end and upsetting the balance of that perfect shave
This can be a real F :muted::muted: KING pain in the ass when using a Fatboy, Slim or Super Adjustable :banghead:

Too much is a pain sometimes, but a bit, is ok so the edge does not dull with the paper borders
I hadn't thought of that: fair point.

I've never actually cut myself as a result of the wax, but it does contribute to the blade getting stuck on the bottom plate of my GC-JAWS. As I've mentioned in another thread, the tolerances are very tight on the posts, so the blade usually gets stuck on the posts at the best of times, and there are no exposed tabs to grab.

I can seen this being an issue. Good point.
Trust me this can be a BIG issue

Edit:- That’s why I’ve got heaps and heaps of Vintage Gillette Spoilers and English Wilky blades, they’re bloody fantastic in Fatboy, Slim, Super Adj. and Red Tip. these blades have NO wax dots

Last edited:

Edit:- That’s why I’ve got heaps and heaps of Vintage Gillette Spoilers and English Wilky blades, they’re bloody fantastic in Fatboy, Slim, Super Adj. and Red Tip. these blades have NO wax dots

Should add a category " Those that have annoying wax dots"
Astra Superior Stainless to the top of the list.:mad:

I call bull crap,

I call bull crap-
H8NWwFC.jpg

the blade rests on these 4 posts- well beyond the range of the dots- to prove this point.

IHxs0xP.jpg

heres an Astra SP covered in sharpie With the biggest wax dots I had- you can see the witness marks from where the posts make contact with the blade- no where near the wax.
Perhaps it interferes with the doors?
O3SL19W.jpg

Nope- you can see the blade doesn’t actually make contact there at all in any setting.
Perhaps it’s different on the other razors but certainly not an issue for the fatboy.

I call bull crap,

I call bull crap-
H8NWwFC.jpg

the blade rests on these 4 posts- well beyond the range of the dots- to prove this point.

IHxs0xP.jpg

heres an Astra SP covered in sharpie With the biggest wax dots I had- you can see the witness marks from where the posts make contact with the blade- no where near the wax.
Perhaps it interferes with the doors?
O3SL19W.jpg

Nope- you can see the blade doesn’t actually make contact there at all in any setting.
Perhaps it’s different on the other razors but certainly not an issue for the fatboy.
I’ve seen big wax dot spread out wide close to the blade edge, not every modern blade. Sometimes machines manufacturers can smear too much wax on the blade from time to time, depending how they package the blade in storage room. Sometimes during in summer most storage room might have too much humidity, when some blades have too much wax can spread out too much inside the wax paper and reach out to the edge of the blade from time to time inside the pack without knowing.

You mean there is no spoon?!
TBH I think this is a problem that exists solely in the minds of over obsessive shaving nerds like us- it’s a tulpa.