Do you like waxdots on razorblades or not - tell us why

I’ve seen big wax dot spread out wide close to the blade edge, not every modern blade. Sometimes machines manufacturers can smear too much wax on the blade from time to time, depending how they package the blade in storage room. Sometimes during in summer most storage room might have too much humidity, when some blades have too much wax can spread out too much inside the wax paper and reach out to the edge of the blade from time to time inside the pack without knowing.

Rules of the internet are “pics or it didn’t happen”
That said by the time it’s disbursed enough to reach close to the edge no way will the thickness Of the wax, after having the razor torqued down onto it as well non the less, will it deflect the blade.

Rules of the internet are “pics or it didn’t happen”
You’re telling me that manufacturers machine don’t make mistakes or errors from time to time.
P3wORGg.gif

Last edited:
You’re telling me that manufacturers machine don’t make mistakes or errors from time to time.
P3wORGg.gif
Nope-
I’m saying that needing a blade that a machine has made a mistake on to prove the existence of a problem means it’s not a problem.
I would fully concur that an over application of wax would be an issue.. a QC issue-

TBH I think this is a problem that exists solely in the minds of over obsessive shaving nerds like us- it’s a tulpa.
evIwoH6l.jpg

I've never experienced a problem with the wax dots (at least that I'm aware of) so the issue doesn't worry me but in theory I have to concede there is a potential problem. We expect modern razors to be manufactured to very high tolerances so if the wax is an additional layer on any of the bearing surfaces then theoretically that could affect geometry even if ever so slightly.
I didn't go searching, I just pulled the first new blade out of my travel blade stash which happened to be Gillette Silver Blue and it has wax dots that extend across the blade which definitely do not miss the bearing surfaces of my Rocnel Elite which I had out from use this morning.
This was a random example (I don't normally use GSB's in my Rocnel Elite) and like I already said have never noticed a problem with the wax dots. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not prepared to call it a 'tulpa' though. I'll just keep rubbing the spoon.

@Ferret619 You’ve got so much to learn about engineering factory quality control, Mr Know All, because, you’ve never worked in an structural engineering machine in your entire career. You want real pictures you got it Brother.

image file hosting
And as I’ve said, relying on a manufacturing mistake to prove your point that your argument has no legs- it’s also worth pointing out that you are relying on this straw man fallacy about manufacturing being flawless rather than addressing the actual points put forward.

evIwoH6l.jpg

I've never experienced a problem with the wax dots (at least that I'm aware of) so the issue doesn't worry me but in theory I have to concede there is a potential problem. We expect modern razors to be manufactured to very high tolerances so if the wax is an additional layer on any of the bearing surfaces then theoretically that could affect geometry even if ever so slightly.
I didn't go searching, I just pulled the first new blade out of my travel blade stash which happened to be Gillette Silver Blue and it has wax dots that extend across the blade which definitely do not miss the bearing surfaces of my Rocnel Elite which I had out from use this morning.
This was a random example (I don't normally use GSB's in my Rocnel Elite) and like I already said have never noticed a problem with the wax dots. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not prepared to call it a 'tulpa' though. I'll just keep rubbing the spoon.
most moderns are a different thing as they clamp the blade differently, the Karve for example contacts the blade further back- but the adjustables @SpeedyPC mentioned aren’t exactly made to the same specs.

but in what world does the wax dots make it a hard to peel wrapper? And how are you guys cutting yourselves with them, don’t grab the sharp bit.

am I crazy- it’s just not a problem..

I try not to grab the sharp bit, perhaps I am not as cool, calm and collected with nerves of steel like the Great Gatsby or drink too much coffee before shaving
If you can trim a second blade and use as a shim, then in theory a wax dot thicker than a blade would have the same effect, although probably get squashed as the cap is tightened unless frozen hard in low temperature ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

most moderns are a different thing as they clamp the blade differently, the Karve for example contacts the blade further back- but the adjustables @SpeedyPC mentioned aren’t exactly made to the same specs.
I’ll leave this subject to @Mark1966 he has more experience about Fatboy, Slim and Super adjustable when most blades have too much wax can reach the edge of the blade or sometime the wax can be a bit too thick towards the edge can effect the geometry of the shave.

End of discussion.

Please keep it civil here everyone

We all have different preferences when it comes to our hobby, it doesn't mean other preferences are right or wrong ;)

Just to add my 2 cents to the discussion:

You only forget once a blade with waxdots in a mirror polished Wolfman :D :D :D

I’ll leave this subject to @Mark1966 he has more experience about Fatboy, Slim and Super adjustable when most blades have too much wax can reach the edge of the blade or sometime the wax can be a bit too thick towards the edge can effect the geometry of the shave.

End of discussion.
Prove it-

Taking something you “feel” is true and reporting it to be a huge issue without any evidence- that’s fake news!

I put it to you;
A. Most blades don’t come with too much wax.
B. The wax isn’t enough of an interference to deflect the blade and the pressure of the assembled razor disburses the wax and it still isn’t an issue.

ugh.. anti-waxers.. no reasoning with them.

I’ll check out how they sit in the TTOs I have, though my collection is minuscule compared to @Mark1966 obviously the only answer is that he will need to try a statistically relevant sample of all commonly available blades in all his razors and document the results.

I can see it being annoying for some (cleans off in a sec with hot water, dish soap and an old tooth brush) but to say it actually impacts the shave?
Nah, don’t think so.

As somebody with Essential Tremors in primarily the left hand it can be a nuisance trying to work with blades that have wax dots but at the same time I find blade tabs just as annoying and have probably cut myself more that way than fiddling with those pesky waxed blades.
I have no reason to suspect it impacting my shaves... :unsure:

I would prefer that blades came without the wax as it can tend to stick to the cap/base plate (Game Changer the worst) so it means I'm cleaning more than normal but not reason enough for me to boycott any particular brand as most of my favourites have wax dots... Just my 2c...

As somebody with Essential Tremors in primarily the left hand it can be a nuisance trying to work with blades that have wax dots but at the same time I find blade tabs just as annoying and have probably cut myself more that way than fiddling with those pesky waxed blades.
I have no reason to suspect it impacting my shaves... :unsure:

I would prefer that blades came without the wax as it can tend to stick to the cap/base plate (Game Changer the worst) so it means I'm cleaning more than normal but not reason enough for me to boycott any particular brand as most of my favourites have wax dots... Just my 2c...
I tried to make it worse for myself by loading the r41 with an astra, dots up and submerged it in hot water then cold to set the wax best I could.
TBH the fact you can’t get to the tabs well and the posts are tight probably are the real issue in Removing the blade my mind

I tried to make it worse for myself by loading the r41 with an astra, dots up and submerged it in hot water then cold to set the wax best I could.
TBH the fact you can’t get to the tabs well and the posts are tight probably are the real issue in Removing the blade my mind
I don't recall ever having had a problem getting the blade out of my (your) R41. There's just enough tab exposure to make the blade easy to grab, and the posts aren't that tight...

I don't recall ever having had a problem getting the blade out of my (your) R41. There's just enough tab exposure to make the blade easy to grab, and the posts aren't that tight...
Mm the astra I tried was quite snug- I never use astra as they are pretty meh in my experience so not sure if that’s standard-
No issue with the Nacet, gsb, rubie, Stainless, feathers that I’ve used however in that razor as I can recall.
That said I’m not sure how much I’d notice much it it was an issue..