Do you regularly shave with a straight razor (that includes a shavette type)?

Do you regularly shave with a straight razor (this includes a shavette type)?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
All the time, certainly more often than not. Rarely I will use a GEM clog pruf if I'm not feeling flash, or I'll miss a shave entirely.
As I no longer work I can happily shave every second day as a straight shave seems to last well into the second day. Because I enjoy it though I'm considering going back to a daily routine.

All the time, certainly more often than not. Rarely I will use a GEM clog pruf if I'm not feeling flash, or I'll miss a shave entirely.
As I no longer work I can happily shave every second day as a straight shave seems to last well into the second day. Because I enjoy it though I'm considering going back to a daily routine.
I had the same "problem". Three passes (WTG, XTG & ATG) was giving me a BBS result, so close that there was nothing left to shave the next day. I enjoy SR shaving so I cut back to WTG & XTG x 2 for a DFS+ and enough the next day that I could again shave daily.

I still do a daily fool's pass but that is just to check the quality of the edge.

Some just don't appreciate the enjoyment of SR shaving.

I'd say exclusively, every other day. I enjoy it way too much. Also, ever since I've taken the restoring and honing hobbies, I find myself swamped with razors that I have to shave-test. I used to have a nice humidor with my main 6 razors. Haven't used them in ages, I am just going through so many. Great learning experience.

Lately I've been battling some health issues, there have been days when, due to meds, I was feeling like crap. Those days I'd use a Schick, I ajust wasn't up to the task.

I still own a few lovely vintage DE's. Every now and then I load a blade into one of them and take it for a spin. I enjoy it also, but I still prefer the straight razor.

I shave with a SR pretty much 4 days a week. I usually take a break on Friday, Saturday then on Sunday it will be a DE razor, usually my slant. Having just bought my first Japanese straight razor, I lost it so much, I can see it getting a bigger run than anything else I own.

Never have… never will 👍

I never thought I would either. I started on DE safety razors from the beginning, then used multi bladed cartridge's for many years. I've spent most of my adult life on ships so disposables were convenient. When I gave that life up, I went back to safety razors. I realised that for the same price as 3x 5 bladed cartridge's, I could buy 100 DE blades.

I started getting an interest with SRs so I bought a shavetteto try first. After that, it was a natural progression. Now I find that it was harder shaving with a shavette than it is with a straight razor.

I think that many "safety" razor shavers are worried that they will do themselves harm if they save with a SR. Once you get over that initial preconceived fear of SR shaving, you soon realise that it can be less dangerous than safety razor shaving.

For me, I'm scarred whenever I shave with a "safety" razor because I can't see the edge on my skin.

full

I think that many "safety" razor shavers are worried that they will do themselves harm if they save with a SR. Once you get over that initial preconceived fear of SR shaving, you soon realise that it can be less dangerous than safety razor shaving.

For me, I'm scarred whenever I shave with a "safety" razor because I can't see the edge on my skin.

I've cut myself with my Slant safety razor more times that I ever have with a straight razor.

I was nervous the first time I used a shavette, but got through without so much as a scratch. Got through my second shave without a scratch and thought "I don't know what I was worried about, this is easy". The third shave going in with a lot of confidence, I left the bathroom looking like a crime scene :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I've cut myself with my Slant safety razor more times that I ever have with a straight razor.

I was nervous the first time I used a shavette, but got through without so much as a scratch. Got through my second shave without a scratch and thought "I don't know what I was worried about, this is easy". The third shave going in with a lot of confidence, I left the bathroom looking like a crime scene :LOL::LOL::LOL:
It takes self-discipline to succeed in SR shaving. Some don't have it.

I have a Feather AC SS, one very nice Ralf Aust 6/8, and 2 other 2nd hand straights (a Gotta wedge and a Wade & Butcher). I dabbled a little with SR shaves 6-7 years ago but didn’t persist long. Struggled s little but didn’t try long enough. Would love to try it again - may do over the holiday period. I found it difficult using my left hand but I’m sure it’s just practice and patience.

I have a Feather AC SS, one very nice Ralf Aust 6/8, and 2 other 2nd hand straights (a Gotta wedge and a Wade & Butcher). I dabbled a little with SR shaves 6-7 years ago but didn’t persist long. Struggled s little but didn’t try long enough. Would love to try it again - may do over the holiday period. I found it difficult using my left hand but I’m sure it’s just practice and patience.
It is not compulsory to be able to SR shave with both hands. Some find it beneficial, I don't. I SR shave exclusively with my right (dominant) hand.

The way to become proficient in SR shaving is to SR shave daily for at least a month, concentrate and learn with every shave.