Do you wear em?

Couldn't agree more - you buy it I will wear it :)

Yes they are a bit of an investment but similar to buying a decent DE or SR - they will last a lifetime if looked after in normal use (ie not used by a stockman all day every day). It will be more comfortable, look better and end up costing less than the alternatives. Unfortunately we live in a more disposable society these days...

My current employer has them as our uniform hat (akubra), and I have one for at home on the farm too. Winter time is only when I swap out to my tweed caps.

IMG_0688_zpsqj7piryr.jpg

Seems you were right. From my 19YO fashion consultant -

'Hats are weird and kinda creepy. It makes you look like you're having a later than mid-life mid-life crisis and thinking you can be cool and pull off a hat when you can't, or you're thinking you can be a private investigator. Neither are good looks.'

It's not sunny enough here but I would have no problem rocking a nice Panama, probably short brim though. But I'm someone who has the confidence to wear wingtips and shorts, I also couldn't give a shit about anyone else's opinion so...

Seems you were right. From my 19YO fashion consultant -

'Hats are weird and kinda creepy. It makes you look like you're having a later than mid-life mid-life crisis and thinking you can be cool and pull off a hat when you can't, or you're thinking you can be a private investigator. Neither are good looks.'

Yes unfortunately dispite the precedent of fedora (Frank Santra or Indiana Jones for example) there is a much larger sub group of pompous, overly confidant douchbags who more recently have co-opted the use of this head wear which has left a significant bias for basically anyone under 30, I'm sure I can find some memes for this BRB.
Oh BTW all hats remotely similar to a fedora are now fedoras, the need for differentiating between them is no more in the eye of the youth.

Last edited:
On the other hand when a fellow is launching an arctic expadition, dealing with bad guys via a whip, wearing a nice suit in a world with out technicolor or just being a badass the fedora seems to get respect.
IMG_0696_zpsqdqpxx3e.jpg

Personally I think do what makes you happy, most days I'm in a cap and have a shemagh round my neck, not fashionable but very functional and serves more than one pourpose so I'm happy

I'd forgotten we had a thread on hats, only one though, I stumbled across it by accident tonight scrolling through the forums.

An interesting read from the beginning - a microcosm of Paste & Cut I think you could say.

And I still don't have a hat I like / fell confident wearing.
I've got a largish bonce at 61cm so one size fits most are or of the question, and I want something with a reasonably wide brim considering where I live.
A Panama would seem to be what I'm after, but I've not found one I like that isn't way now than I'm willing to pay.

Akubra Coober Pedy for me. Google it - Stylemaster doesn’t have enough brim and is too American / Dick Tracy. Coober Pedy looks Australian, has a decent brim to keep the sun off and isn’t so big to turn into a sail in the wind. Although keeping it on in a strong sea breeze around here is still a challenge - the only negative. Can’t wear it on a boat for that reason...

You can change the shape of the top of the hat easily if you want but I like it how it came from the shop.

Sizing is critical though. Works great in urban or rural environments.

Found an almost new Akubra Territory in an Op Shop recently. Needs to be reshaped a little as it has been laid on its brim far too long which is now flat, but offers a decent amount of shade which is needed up here.
Territory_2048x.jpg

@eggbert & @RazorPlay don't you find the felt hats too hot up there!?
Used to wear them on the farm and just damn to hot and I'm in NSW. We have all converted over to straw/grass hats as way cooler.
They dont last as long and not suitable for show days but cheaper than a proper felt hat. Plus you can roll the sides up and be a urban gigalo when making a town run :LOL:

Used to wear them on the farm and just damn to hot and I'm in NSW. We have all converted over to straw/grass hats as way cooler.
They dont last as long and not suitable for show days but cheaper than a proper felt hat. Plus you can roll the sides up and be a urban gigalo when making a town run :LOL:

Not at all - actually quite the reverse. Mine breathes well and has a few holes for ventilation as well.

I’m in Perth btw... which also gets pretty hot of course... but it’s a dry heat - I can’t speak for humid.

I love straw hats keep my head cool throughout summer when sitting outside in the sun, reminds me of my favourite song when I kid with my straw hat was Old Mack Donald had farm.

I've not worn mine much yet so I can't answer your question yet.
I was looking at a nice panama hat, but couldn't justify the cost against the knowledge I would lose or break it within a month of ownership.