Does anyone make a new NEW?

shavenardo

I'm familiar with merkur and parker making open comb heads but the main difference between them and the NEW is they use the post/hole design still (like the gillette old/new improved). One thing I like about the NEW is it uses the slot and IMO holds the blade better with less chance of slight blade misalignment.
It's strange to me that open comb, slant or scalloped 3 piece razors use the antiquated 2 post design and not the slot securing method that all DE TTOs, and most tech type copies use.

E: I just saw the ikon sbs qualifies, but I do not like that head at all

Last edited:
Can’t just buy the gillette?

I actually picked up the Ikon the other day, it's a really nice razor and the shave it gives is excellent

I'm familiar with merkur and parker making open comb heads but the main difference between them and the NEW is they use the post/hole design still (like the gillette old/new improved). One thing I like about the NEW is it uses the slot and IMO holds the blade better with less chance of slight blade misalignment.
It's strange to me that open comb, slant or scalloped 3 piece razors use the antiquated 2 post design and not the slot securing method that all DE TTOs, and most tech type copies use.

E: I just saw the ikon sbs qualifies, but I do not like that head at all

It doesn't really matter what type of slot, bar, pin or other type of blade guide is used. It comes down to the machining tolerances and design used for that type of razor.
Case in point recent 2017 released DEs used both the dual slot and flat pin designs. Eg Mamba & Guerilla used flat pins with out any blade alignment issues.
Paradigm and Blackbirds use a twin slotted bar.
A vintage example are Gillette techs and my Rotbart use the four corner post pins that I think are fool proof and surprised a modern DE maker hasn't gone down this path as well (y)
So don't let that design want stifle your search for other great razors out there :)

Last edited:
Yeah, the NEW uses tabs in the corners too. Also the feather portable uses those tabs and a small slot finder on each side like a later tech
Can’t just buy the gillette?
I have one or two. It's just the design I like best and was just wondering if maybe a bit later if I was to try a modern day razor (most likely s/h and cheaper razor), these are the features I want and does anyone make them like that now?

Last edited:
@shavenardo call me daft what does 's/h and cheaper razor' refer too please?

@FluffyGroodle believe he is after modern slot designs. Top of my head I'm blank for reasonable cost, modern and slotted.

On another angle, Guys if you want something schmick modern and great bang for buck smooth and the jump too razor (this week) then the Christopher Bradley is where it is at. Great reports so far on it and especially its price point in Canadian dollars for all brass (y)

Right now I'm selling stuff so I can buy some soaps and pay some bills. Later on down the track I might be wondering what I'm missing out on with modern razors. Due to budget I'll probably keep an eye out for second hand options once I find a make/model of a nice open comb with something more than a round post in a square probak hole. Seems weird to me than razor blades haven't been 3 hole since probaks patent expiry, but here we are with the bare minimum 2 post designs mostly.
E: I get that they work OK, my first razor was a 2 post merkur. Seems like a downgrade from vintage razors though and in using one I'd just be regretting the sale of my 2 post new improved standard even more :D

@FluffyGroodle believe he is after modern slot designs. Top of my head I'm blank for reasonable cost, modern and slotted.

On another angle, Guys if you want something schmick modern and great bang for buck smooth and the jump too razor (this week) then the Christopher Bradley is where it is at. Great reports so far on it and especially its price point in Canadian dollars for all brass (y)
@RustyBlade - that Christopher Bradley looks interesting - unlike Rockwell which includes all base plates, you have to buy individually. Are you pulling the trigger on one?

@RustyBlade - that Christopher Bradley looks interesting - unlike Rockwell which includes all base plates, you have to buy individually. Are you pulling the trigger on one?

Lol and wreck my lovely sabbatical banner ;)
As mentioned before on another thread I'll wait as I have a few razors to get through here and not a fan of brass type razors. When it is stainless steel I'll be there. Bra sizes A & C or B & D :D