Does it take a while for your skin to 'settle in' to DE shaving?

laidlow

Been shaving every second day for the last week and while I'm getting better I have noticed that the irritation on my neck seems to be getting quite inflamed after some shaves... Didn't think this was that big a deal but then I watched some videos on youtube and couldn't beleive how fast some guys were knocking out a shave.

Whaddya think - is it just that I need to wait a while or do I have overly sensitive skin?

Edit: My shaving process is outlined below if that helps...

• Make up lather and then place the dish in some hot water to heat up.
  • Jump in shower, wash face thoroughly with Nivea Wash
  • Splash some water on my face and then start lathering with my brush
  • 1st pass WTG, relather
  • 2nd pass WTG, relather
  • 3rd pass XTG (only in some spots tho, certain parts of my neck HATE this)
  • Rinse face with warm water and then again with cold water to close the pores
  • Apply Nivea After shave balm

Last edited:
I don't think your skin gets 'used' to anything - your technique gets better.

Make sure your lather is good. It should be more yogurty and moist, rather than the meringue that comes out of cans. Good lather makes everything better.

I wouldn't bother with either the 2nd WTG (diminishing returns), or the XTG pass. You're not aiming for a great result at this stage, but learning how to get a comfy shave with unfamiliar tools. When I started, It took me nearly a month to get a shave that lasted longer than lunchtime.

Make sure on your sensitive parts that it is actually growing in the direction you think it is.

Pores don't open and close - old cosmetic industry wives tales to sell face cream. To help with irritation, I'd try a good aftershave with some alcohol ini it, like Proraso. Or their post shave cream.

Last edited:
I go along with Drubbing - but would add that standard witch hazel works well as an aftershave (not the smell - that's transient and then you can apply whatever cologne...)

I'd not be actively washing my face in the shower with any face wash/similar - you're degreasing and potentially exfoliating there and then coming along with the razor and exfoliating some more...

Concentrate on going WTG and getting a shave that looks the part (when you've got that nailed you can add the XTG or WTG pass later).

The other thing that comes in time is finding the right product set for you - razor, blades, soap/cream - there's an almost inexhaustible set of combinations to try - you've not said what you're lathering with (if you're face lathering with a boar, there's another dose of exfoliation) or what soap/cream you're using - maybe worth mentioning them could be you've picked a soap/cream that's less forgiving of incorrect water ratio.

I'm not sure I quite agree. Although your skin doesn't get used to shaving as in getting harder or tougher I do believe it gets accustomed to having a layer scraped off on a regular basis and having to constantly produce a new one more regularly than is normal. I can't back that up with any science other than when I don't shave for a week or so it gets seriously irrtated and flaky. Mind you, I can't remember the last time I didn't shave for a week but even so.

Cheers for the tips, I'll take them under advisement... Oh and btw I'm using Proraso (green tub), Gillette Tech w/ Derby blades and a Franks Shaving Finest Badger Brush.

Got some Proraso pre-shave cream yesterday and I've ordered some of the after shave lotion so hopefully that helps out!

I found the nivea aftershave balm to be a good one while I was learning the ropes. Definitely helped repair the damage bad technique was inflicting.

Even now I have days where I think I am using a light touch but I'm heavier handed than I expect. It takes some practice/experience to realise when you are not getting a good cut that you usually need to get lighter rather than heavier.

I agree with the other gents that the skin doesn't really get more resilient, you just get better at shaving. Drubbing is spot on about lather too. Bad lather makes it exponentially harder to get a nice stroke happening.

I use Nivea Post Shave Balm. I thought the previous Nivea Cool Kick was better as it appears to have had more alcohol in it. But the new one has a really nice scent and appears to do the same job. Mind you I'm now using an Alum block too and that kills the alcohol burn and saves on the volume of balm you have to use. Saves a fair bit of dosh actually. Even Nivea at $12 a pop for 100ml isn't cheap. Thankfully the whole aftershave/smelly/cologne thing is not on my radar.

Well thanks to everyone's advice I've solved most of my problems, turns out it was a combination of poor lather, bad technique and funky beard growth patterns. Found it a lot easier once I got my lather right and remembered to follow the grain of my beard.

Not quite as smooth as a baby's bum but getting there :D

Well thanks to everyone's advice I've solved most of my problems, turns out it was a combination of poor lather, bad technique and funky beard growth patterns. Found it a lot easier once I got my lather right and remembered to follow the grain of my beard.

Not quite as smooth as a baby's bum but getting there :D

Getting it that smooth is only for weddings and funerals. And even then be careful of the neck area is my motto. Chin and face get the full treatment but I don't really go ATG below that.