Dont shoot me

I have a bad shaking hand, and i don't trust my self any more with a Double edge razor,
I have been told to use a cartridge for safety reasons , can any one recommend some that are better than others , there is about as many out there as there is different razor blades
Thanks
Get yourself a vintage Gillette Tech it’s very safe to shave for those who have tremors issues.

Speaking of blades depending upon your stubble, use a middle of the road blade as Astra SP or two steps above used Astra SS.

Speedy is right they are pretty tame but if your also concerned about loading the blades it might not be an option. I did think about a leaf razor but possibly the same issue. How about an injector razor? It should be the safest option to load (no exposed blade). I’m sure there are a few people here that use one as I’m sure I’ve seen them posted in SOTD.

Last edited:
I have a bad shaking hand, and i don't trust my self any more with a Double edge razor,
I have been told to use a cartridge for safety reasons , can any one recommend some that are better than others , there is about as many out there as there is different razor blades
Thanks

Sorry to hear that mate. I use a Gillette Sensor Excel twin blade when travelling. With proper prep I get a good shave with no fuss. Would not go more than twin blades ...

It’s very safe to load a DE blade with tremors issue, by placing top cap onto a towel and rest your other hand onto the towel while holding the top cap. Always breathe in and hold calmly and loaded DE blade and breathe out, it takes practice with your breathing technique by remaining calm when loading up your blade.

Leave the top cap onto the towel and load the base plate and the handle while your other hand is resting on the towel while holding the top cap, keep practicing your breathing and remain calm at all times during your shaves, you’ll be able to manage yourself with tremors and shaving very safely and calmly.

Edit:- Put some relaxing music on while your shaving and control your breathing technique is a great tool for tremors.

Last edited:
Injector razors: You don't need to touch the blade to load it into the razor.

Or GEM razors since you can hold the blade from the back, which is not sharpened.

For DE razor, the one that comes to mind is Karve. The guard bars are huge and the blade is so far back that it is really difficult to cut yourself with it.

Or GEM razors since you can hold the blade from the back, which is not sharpened.
A vintage Gem G bar or a Gem Bullet Tip would be another ideal choice and it's very easy and safe to load the blade.

81ecc0_af30f5cac87d47e592e6cdec64798e5e~mv2.webp
1N55LNS.jpg

Going against the grain here (pun intended).

I swore off Gillette because of their 'woke' stance.

I used the Schick Fusion 5 I think it was called, a bit cheaper than Mach 3 etc and the blades last a lot longer. Good shave, no rash, no cuts.

You can always check out the Aldi version of Schick and Gillette, they get some good reviews and are considerably cheaper.

If you want to stick with DE, what about something really mild like the Edwin Jagger DE89 and some Astra blades? almost impossible to cut yourself as it's most peoples training wheels when they get into DE shaving.

Thanks

I have been forced to shave with my non dominate hand for over a year now. I also have shakes, numbness and other nerve issues in that hand. I load the DE razor on microfibre cloth top cap down, place the bottom cap on top and thread the handle into the bottom plate. Reverse order to disassemble. I prefer razors that are efficient and weig around the 80-130 grams mark, as I find the weight of the razor does the work for me. This also helps steady my hand, which aids in control.

Over time I have adapted and my hand, wrist and shoulder muscles to be able to shave just as good as my dominate hand. Try and stick with the DE razors if you can.

I have a bad shaking hand, and i don't trust my self any more with a Double edge razor

Hi @David7307 I have had 3 strokes and my left side is a bit dodgy so I somewhat understand your issues. I still shave with a straight as my normal razor but my issue is weakness and slight lack of control more than a shake. I would recommend a GEM, the second of the images posted by @SpeedyPC or a Schick vintage injector. The Mach 3 Schick is a good choice also from what i hear?
I have never trust a DE razor. Vicious little blood suckers :cautious::)
Ultimately the finished shave is paramount. Best of luck.

It's nearly impossible to cut yourself with the Blackland Vector. (I've had lots more cuts from cartridges.) No, they're not cheap, but you're guaranteed to get your money back on the BST if you don't like it. And you would probably make history as being the only person to ever let his Vector go... :unsure:

Thanks
Sorry to hear that mate. I use a Gillette Sensor Excel twin blade when travelling. With proper prep I get a good shave with no fuss. Would not go more than twin blades ...
I have been forced to shave with my non dominate hand for over a year now. I also have shakes, numbness and other nerve issues in that hand. I load the DE razor on microfibre cloth top cap down, place the bottom cap on top and thread the handle into the bottom plate. Reverse order to disassemble. I prefer razors that are efficient and weig around the 80-130 grams mark, as I find the weight of the razor does the work for me. This also helps steady my hand, which aids in control.

Over time I have adapted and my hand, wrist and shoulder muscles to be able to shave just as good as my dominate hand. Try and stick with the DE razors if you can.
Hi @David7307 I have had 3 strokes and my left side is a bit dodgy so I somewhat understand your issues. I still shave with a straight as my normal razor but my issue is weakness and slight lack of control more than a shake. I would recommend a GEM, the second of the images posted by @SpeedyPC or a Schick vintage injector. The Mach 3 Schick is a good choice also from what i hear?
I have never trust a DE razor. Vicious little blood suckers :cautious::)
Ultimately the finished shave is paramount. Best of luck.

Sorry to read of your issues and as somebody with Essential Tremors I sympathise as I often dread playing around with DE blades and have known to cut myself or heaven forbid drop my beloved razor. Using a towel is a must as it affords you better grip and less risk of slicing a digit.

Lots of good suggestions, particularly the Sensor Excel as they're a vast improvement over say a 2 Blade Bic and I found them to be better at shaving my troubled areas (chin, under the nose) as opposed to the fancy 3/4/5 blade offerings. Less irritation too but boy are the carts expensive!!! :(

I find I can manage a great shave if I am relaxed and take time to let the razor do the work and not chase the BBS as DFS is just as good for my daily shaving needs.

I'd suggest a milder razor but if you have thick regrowth like me than maybe just limit the shave to WTG & ATG or try an adjustable as they allow you the option to set the correct setting or alternatively try a slant such as the 37C as the smaller sized handle is very nimble and it shaves super smooth with good results and less risk of cutting yourself...?

Happy shaves!

I've thought of an interesting idea and I wonder if it has been implemented yet. A DE safety razor with a handle that vibrates.
Pens that vibrate seem to work wonders for people with tremors so I would think the same could transfer to safety Razors perhaps.

On OP's question, the Bic Flex 4 always worked well for me.

I've thought of an interesting idea and I wonder if it has been implemented yet. A DE safety razor with a handle that vibrates.
Pens that vibrate seem to work wonders for people with tremors so I would think the same could transfer to safety Razors perhaps.

Aghhhhhhhh,

Next will the heated shaving plate.:p

On OP's question, the Bic Flex 4 always worked well for me.

Vintage Stahly Live Blade Vibrating Safety Razor

24d131d7200eaaffbcb0f5b942bb6629.jpg