DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

f800110a-6777-4671-8bf9-8acbcc8b603f.jpg

First try, under-whelmed, yet will afford it a few more chances before designated as drinking, rather than enjoying...

f800110a-6777-4671-8bf9-8acbcc8b603f.jpg

First try, under-whelmed, yet will afford it a few more chances before designated as drinking, rather than enjoying...
Anything in particular you don't like, or just a general apathy towards an average whisky?

Cheers, that's what I started my night with too - my bottle came in a metal case in the shape of the Ardbeg distillery (warehouse?).
ardbeg.giftpack.jpg

I then went on to try a couple other peated whiskies I own, Talisker Storm, Ben Romach 10 and a IB Caol Ila.
Considering I couldn't stand smokey / peated whiskies 6 months or so ago, I am amazed that they are now starting to dominate my stable and the sherried whiskies I originally adored are taking a backseat. I remember tasting almost nothing but ash the first few times I tried Ardbeg, but the 10 tonight was a delight.
I'm certainly no officionado but I've been surprised how easy it was to get into the single malts. Like yourself I've really come to enjoy the smoke /peat. Three years ago suspect I might have thought I'd rocks in my head for liking these.

I enjoy reading this thread for future things to try.

I don't know precisely what I will be drinking tonight, but believe me I will!
ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and AS/NZ 4801 audits complete for another year!

Was Oban 14 last night. I can tell you too that they don’t have those silly little nip measures here - they give you a decent splash!

Had a Cardhu 12 the last night in Apeldoorn.

Once again, a GENEROUS nip!

At home now so the nips can be as generous as I want.

Smooth
I sometimes find smooth doesn't necessarily equate to good. There are a few bitey drams I have that seem to offer far more flavour than smoother ones.
Tonight I had a couple of nips from my infinity bottle, a fair percentage of which is Aberlour A'bunadh. I found the Aberlour to be too hot on its own, even diluted, but it's a great main flavour in a home blend.
I added a bit of everything to the bottle at first, but am now trying to balance it out to get a great tasting home blend. At the moment there is plenty of sherry based whisky, but it needs a little more smoke and whiskey aged in bourbon barrels to become great.

I sometimes find smooth doesn't necessarily equate to good. ...

True, but at present I'm enjoying the balance of this one :)

At home now so the nips can be as generous as I want.

Smooth

When I first move to Norway, it happen that I was at St Andrews attendind a bayesian statistics workshop, so I bought one of these to my future boss. It turned out that he did his PhD in Scotland, and that he liked that one a lot. No wonder why we developed (and maintain) a great friendship, both inside and outside the academic world :)