DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

nl8Gcww.gif

I might have to be pointed in the right direction.

I have had scotch but to me I like the flavour of bourbon better
It's only barley that has been malted and dried via peat firing which will have the smoky character. I used to hate it too but now prefer at least a tiny whisp of smoke.

There is plenty of non-peated scotch out there. Glenmorangie is an easy to get one which is not expensive. Glengoyne is another good one.

Then you have Bunnahabbain which gets 1-2ppm of peat from the water they use, but the maltings itself is unpeated.

Errm, you know what we would have to pay on the import duty alone?

Better off getting a private cask locally - maybe from Black Gate. Soon as you import it you are up for $80/litre (pure ethanol) duty as a private citizen...

Better off getting a private cask locally - maybe from Black Gate. Soon as you import it you are up for $80/litre (pure ethanol) duty as a private citizen...

Don't forget that Eggs is in the NT Joel - he is probably thinking that we set up a still somewhere ...

For some reason I thought it was an Aussie distillery. Plus it was really said tongue in cheek as by the time it is ready for drinking who knows where the investors would be.

Tonight, my local bottlo hosted a Glenfiddich tasting night. The Aust-NZ brand embassador was an enlightening speaker, covering brand history, distillation info, and interesting trivia.

We had the pleasure of sampling 6 different whiskeys - 12yo 15yo 18yo IPA XX and 21, along with delicious antipasto platters from the local Italian restaurant.

Starting with the 12 then progressing though the ranks though to the 21. As expected, the 12 was the roughest and the 21 was the smoothest. But my favourite was the XX - the body, the flavour, the note and the after taste on the palette - just like a sweet kiss.

A thoroughly enjoyable evening. If your local bottlo hosts a whisky tasting night, get on it!

s6Y3hC9.jpg

Sitting here, getting over the 'man flu', and quietly supping on a glass of my 46% Rum that I made last year (yeah, there's still some left if anyone comes over this way).
Topped up with some Classic Cola (can't stand the modern Coca Cola or Pepsi Cola).
Noice!!!
Almost makes feeling crook worthwhile.
Had some of my Single Malt Whiskey a few nights ago when I was really very crook.
I 'watered' it down to only 60% (was bottled at 65%), warmed it in the microwave, added a good shot of honey....and drank it down.
Certainly eased the sore throat, and cleared some junk from the breathing gear.
So my still is actually a medical necessity. Everyone should have one.
Now...how's your day been?

Highland Park 12. A bit meh to tell the truth. Had read it was a big step up from the 10Y but I'm not that impressed. 40% Diageo whiskies don't seem to do it for me.

Gives a whole new reason for ManFlu :) as an excuse to enjoy some home brewed "medicinal compound" T/H

So you shave to save money and brew to keep yourself healthy.

Seems legit ;)

I have been drinking Makers Mark Cask Strength, very nice and smooth bourbon

I have been drinking Makers Mark Cask Strength, very nice and smooth bourbon
I'm waiting on a job offer before I can decide which drop I am going to be hitting later on.

Have never tried MM of any kind. They are one of the companies that dilute their standard whiskey to 40% for the Aussie market, and it pisses me off.

I'm waiting on a job offer before I can decide which drop I am going to be hitting later on.
The very disorganized HR appear to have forgotten to send me the offer that the manager said I would get today.

No drinks for me then.