EDC Torch Thread

Mitcon

MOD EDIT: Have moved torch discussion to own thread

As for a torch as above I'm another fan and daily user of a Baton S1R, tiny but powerful torch. I have a couple of the desktop charging stands for it too. I do have another fun torch that I've not really used but it's both a lockblade and a decent torch and that is the Nebo Pal+400 and believe it or not it also works as a powerbank lol. Cheap, lil gimmicky but kinda cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear opinionated torch nerds,
I am looking for a new torch for use around the farm.
Option 1 is a Makita DML812 the advantage being I already have Makita 18V batteries for my other tools.
Option 2 is something from the regular emails I get from O-Light with similar capabilities.

Or something else. So have at it spend $200 of my money.

Option 1 is a Makita DML812 the advantage being I already have Makita 18V batteries for my other tools.
Option 2 is something from the regular emails I get from O-Light with similar capabilities.

Flood or beam?

Go with option 1. But while you're at it, get yourself a little Eagtac D25LC2 as well, it's tiny but packs a punch, so qualifies as a real EDC. Down here where I only have the moon and stars for illumination outdoors at night, the torch I have in my pocket is far better than the one sitting in the tool shed, so I make it a good one.

Go with option 1. But while you're at it, get yourself a little Eagtac D25LC2 as well, it's tiny but packs a punch, so qualifies as a real EDC. Down here where I only have the moon and stars for illumination outdoors at night, the torch I have in my pocket is far better than the one sitting in the tool shed, so I make it a good one.
+1 (y) Good advice

Check out www.liteshop.com.au during black friday, some great sales coming up and they have excellent customer service. The owner is the guy who is the Olight Australia Distributor, with Liteshop being his original store that sells most major brands and Olight is seperate.

Personally I like the Olights, they are a great performer and the customer service is top notch with a 5 year warranty standard. Avoid anything with Anduril or Narsil firmware if you just want a torch that is a torch, they are both convoluted UI's and are not as simple as point and click.

For a decent floody torch with plenty of battery, the Thrunite T2 is a good option. It has USB-C Charging, a 5000mAH 21700 battery, 3757 lumens and a max throw of around 130m~
https://www.liteshop.com.au/content/thrunite-t2-compact-3757-lumen-rechargeable-edc-torch/

If you want something with more throw, then the Thrunite TT20 is a great option with a max throw of around 260m~, 2526 lumens, 5000mAH 21700 battery and USB-C Charging. Lower lumens are not an issue as the Candela is higher so it will be have a nice bright hotspot
https://www.liteshop.com.au/content...al-2526-lumen-dual-switch-rechargeable-torch/

Obviously these are just examples and Thrunite is not the only brand I would recommend, but those two torches are quite good from all the reviews I have watched recently (bloody heaps) as I have far to many torches and want more 😂

Well I remembered this thread and @Wilkshire13's post about Black Friday sales as I hopped into bed last night. My order receipt for the purchase on my phone is timed 11:58 ...

... but I do have one of these on its way to me -

thrunite_tt20_thumbnail.jpg

Thanks for the enabling guys!

Well I remembered this thread and @Wilkshire13's post about Black Friday sales as I hopped into bed last night. My order receipt for the purchase on my phone is timed 11:58 ...

... but I do have one of these on its way to me -

thrunite_tt20_thumbnail.jpg

Thanks for the enabling guys!

This was my son's Christmas gift to me - a GREAT torch, very powerful and compact. Thanks again for the enabling guys.

How do people find olight rechargeable lights for general purpose?
More than adequate, without sounding like a weirdo, I have/had over 15 of them in the last 24 months (Most were given as compensation for work provided), none have skipped a beat and are a pleasure to use.

For everyday use, the Baton Pro, Seeker 2 or Seeker 2 Pro are my recommendations. All 3 are bright and fairly floody but if you want some distance, the M2R Pro is the go to.

We live next to an area of open public space next to a road. Great and feels far less cramped BUT occasionally kids muck around out there, like last night.

Firecrackers let off next to us, I ran upstairs to our balcony, decent elevation, after grabbing the TT20.

Heard some noise across the road about 150m away so pointed the torch in that direction. Boy, did those kids take off!!

The TT20 has a max output of 2,526 lumens and 258m beam distance. Now to get me a more powerful throw light with a longer beam distance as well - 'cause that was FUN!!!

More than adequate, without sounding like a weirdo, I have/had over 15 of them in the last 24 months (Most were given as compensation for work provided), none have skipped a beat and are a pleasure to use.

For everyday use, the Baton Pro, Seeker 2 or Seeker 2 Pro are my recommendations. All 3 are bright and fairly floody but if you want some distance, the M2R Pro is the go to.
I've got three of the H2R Nova (now the Perun) and a M2R Warrior. The Nova is a fantastic head torch (can also be used as a hand torch) with impressive power but just really practical for general work in the dark. I got the M2R for some extra distance and am very happy with it but usually default to the Nova's for the hands free freedom.

6000 lumens and 2km thow! The Manker MK35-II is is amazing, but a little beyond my budget.

Some amazing looking torches around -

Probably only have line of sight for 500 - 750 m realistically...

But the thought of throwing thousands of lumens at people is pretty enticing!

https://xkcd.com/1603/
I've a few too many torches.
Currently have the following in high rotation.
Headlamp Ideal for the vehicle, particularly considering most these days have a USB port and the torch is magnetically recharged.
EDC Ultralight, runs on AAA's
And a Nitecore TM39 iirc to burn the retinas of idiots.

Nitecore TM39 ultra high performance 5200 lumen 1500m - wow, a little outside my budget.

That cartoon is pretty accurate, thanks @borked ...

flashlights_2x.png

Any scuba divers here? What torches do you use? Just ordered and Orca D580 and looking forward to see how it performs.

We live next to an area of open public space next to a road. Great and feels far less cramped BUT occasionally kids muck around out there, like last night.

Firecrackers let off next to us, I ran upstairs to our balcony, decent elevation, after grabbing the TT20.

Heard some noise across the road about 150m away so pointed the torch in that direction. Boy, did those kids take off!!

The TT20 has a max output of 2,526 lumens and 258m beam distance. Now to get me a more powerful throw light with a longer beam distance as well - 'cause that was FUN!!!
That'll teach them!

6000 lumens and 2km thow! The Manker MK35-II is is amazing, but a little beyond my budget.

Some amazing looking torches around -

Probably only have line of sight for 500 - 750 m realistically...

But the thought of throwing thousands of lumens at people is pretty enticing!

My go-to torch at the moment is the Lumintop FW21 Pro - 10,000 lumens @325m throw.

The Lumintop X9L - 6,500 lumens @810m throw is my next torch

https://xkcd.com/1603/
I've a few too many torches.
Currently have the following in high rotation.
Headlamp Ideal for the vehicle, particularly considering most these days have a USB port and the torch is magnetically recharged.
EDC Ultralight, runs on AAA's
And a Nitecore TM39 iirc to burn the retinas of idiots.

My rotation is: