EDC Torch Thread

Do you think they are ready for CRI?
I've several Convoy's, Fenix and Led Lensers + customs with high CRI like the BLF Stuff.
Only if you have a need for it, I personally don't as I just want to light shit up :ROFLMAO: I do prefer the more neutral colours though since getting my FW4A and Warrior X Pro. If I went something for CRI, I'd probably go for a Sofirn or Rovyvon depending on budget

Do you think they are ready for CRI?
I've several Convoy's, Fenix and Led Lensers + customs with high CRI like the BLF Stuff.

Only if you have a need for it, I personally don't as I just want to light shit up :ROFLMAO: I do prefer the more neutral colours though since getting my FW4A and Warrior X Pro. If I went something for CRI, I'd probably go for a Sofirn or Rovyvon depending on budget

You guys are speaking a whole new (and I presume expensive) language ...

(y)Yeah, and if your battery goes flat when you've been using white LED, you're stuffed, can't see a thing. I also find LED messes with perspective a little, mainly grass at closer ranges.

Battery life not my issue. I just want instant access on maximum blinding light that can be directed in a narrow focus beam at about 500m or so ...

I have absolutely no need for a torch. But this thread makes me think it would be good to have one. What would be something nice and well priced? Do these ever come on sale?

I have absolutely no need for a torch. But this thread makes me think it would be good to have one. What would be something nice and well priced? Do these ever come on sale?
@Rami check out Liteshop (Massive range and best services in Aus) and Olight Aus (Olight has an Australia Day Sale, but nothing overly bright beside one spotlight as the rest are small EDC torches). Both stores are run by the same guy, who is fantastic to deal with and constantly runs giveaways and sales, though Olight Global dictates their sales.

Flood = Higher lumens + Low Candela (Light Intensity) + shorter throw
Spotlight = Lower lumens + Higher Candela (light intensity) + longer throw

I prefer floodier torches, so a decent output 1000-1500+ lumens and 2-350m throw with an 18650, 21700 or 26650 battery (Bigger battery number typically better runtime, but a physically bigger torch

I like Lumintop, but the UI, Anduril, can be complicated and the torches themselves aren't brilliant for quality.
Olight is simple to use, 5-year warranty, magnetic charging, but typically only cool white LEDs which can wash out colour, but are brighter
Klarus is good, standard UI and quality build
Fenix is also good with a standard UI and quality build and range
Acebeam - standard UI and quality build
Nitecore - standard UI and quality build but can be pricey
Thrunite is good, cheaper than some but decent quality
Not a fan of Led Lenser personally, I don't like their zoom feature and preference for AA/AAA batteries
Rovyvon is a unique addition with interesting designs and features, but are not your typical torch if that's what you are chasing
Manker makes a solid light and they are well regarded

TL;DR - there are way too many options, figure out what you want and what your price range is

Same for me I thought, although I've always kept a torch in my bedside table, Now, of course, I have a better one!

Anyway, I didn't know I needed a LOT of things before this forum ...

@Rami check out Liteshop (Massive range and best services in Aus) and Olight Aus (Olight has an Australia Day Sale, but nothing overly bright beside one spotlight as the rest are small EDC torches). Both stores are run by the same guy, who is fantastic to deal with and constantly runs giveaways and sales, though Olight Global dictates their sales.

Flood = Higher lumens + Low Candela (Light Intensity) + shorter throw
Spotlight = Lower lumens + Higher Candela (light intensity) + longer throw

I prefer floodier torches, so a decent output 1000-1500+ lumens and 2-350m throw with an 18650, 21700 or 26650 battery (Bigger battery number typically better runtime, but a physically bigger torch

I like Lumintop, but the UI, Anduril, can be complicated and the torches themselves aren't brilliant for quality.
Olight is simple to use, 5-year warranty, magnetic charging, but typically only cool white LEDs which can wash out colour, but are brighter
Klarus is good, standard UI and quality build
Fenix is also good with a standard UI and quality build and range
Acebeam - standard UI and quality build
Nitecore - standard UI and quality build but can be pricey
Thrunite is good, cheaper than some but decent quality
Not a fan of Led Lenser personally, I don't like their zoom feature and preference for AA/AAA batteries
Rovyvon is a unique addition with interesting designs and features, but are not your typical torch if that's what you are chasing
Manker makes a solid light and they are well regarded

TL;DR - there are way too many options, figure out what you want and what your price range is

The Black Friday sale with 15% offer at Liteshop was worthwhile. I've now signed up to their spam to see future 'bargains'.

I've also properly 'scouted' my terrain and have used Google maps to measure my line of sight so have a revised brief for my shopping list specs - "maximum blinding light that can be directed in a narrow focus beam at about 300m or so with a budget of around $150"

Let the hunt begin ...

I’ve recently received a Z Vision JP-303 torch that I looking forward to trying out soon. Having the ability to change the colour of the light (red, green and white) I should be able to spot wild animals at a distance. It’s too much for cane toad control around the yard; the beam is too narrow to spot the little buggers up close. When the wet is over I’ll be doing some camping so I’m really looking forward to giving it a run then.

I’ve recently received a Z Vision JP-303 torch that I looking forward to trying out soon. Having the ability to change the colour of the light (red, green and white) I should be able to spot wild animals at a distance. It’s too much for cane toad control around the yard; the beam is too narrow to spot the little buggers up close. When the wet is over I’ll be doing some camping so I’m really looking forward to giving it a run then.

You mean this one - https://www.xhunter.com.au/z-vision-jp-303-3-in-1-rifle-mount-light-kit-3-led

I definitely don't need at torch, (or do I :unsure:) thanks to P&C enabling now looking at H2R Nova.
A few reviews suggest the Perin may be too smart for it's own good with proximity sensor and the H2R Nova was a simpler and better model

I would recommend a High CRI or at least a neutral to warm LED for usability.
I went with the H2R Nova for that reason, as it affords more depth of field and doesn't wash out details like a cool white (typically what's supplied) does.
The advantage of a headlamp is hands free operation, so perfect for the glovebox in your vehicle, or for those that carry a bag daily.
A Convoy C8 is a cheap and cheerful bedside or large EDC as well for those that just want to dip their toes into the deep end of 18650 cells.
If you can, buy a magnetic or like onboard charger for ease of use, otherwise look at a reputable brand charger with safety features like the Nitecore range.

For those that desire to research more, try https://budgetlightforum.com/ for a heap of info.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61PM2LoWC-L._AC_SL1190_.jpg

May help new folks understand difference in cool neutral warm white lights.

61PM2LoWC-L._AC_SL1190_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: