Exciting new venture!

the_shaving_sailor

2018 Sabbatical
OK! my ultrasonic cleaner is arriving anyday now and I can't wait. it's well worth the wait, it's strong enough to remove plating with the right cleaning solution (which is on back order at this present moment.....damn) but is also certified medical grade. I can't wait to use this bad boy and of course offer this as a service to you lovely people on the P&C forum.

but what I am very very very Very VERY! excited about is my plating kit is finally. back in Stock and i paid for it tonight and now I have to pick my solutions (the plating metals) I have already picked copper and nickel, I just need to pick two more. but I will have all eventualy.
any sensible suggestions?
options are;
silver, gold solution, 24k gold(alot $$ extra), black chrome, chrome, brass, tin, zinc or lead.

again after a lot of practice and actualy learning how to use the different solutions and techniques I will possibly start offering a replating service aswell.

let me know what you think.

cheers

So assuming from your possible list rhodium is not possible?
Black Chrome would be nice and could see my merkur 37c in that shade.
Though as you are running a business of sorts and chemicals are not cheap then wouldn't plain Chrome be a very popular choice for restoration?
Any black oxide options out there too?

@the_shaving_sailor could you please tell me what ultrasonic cleaner model have you've got and how much? because I'm thinking about getting one as I'm not 100% sure which ultrasonic cleaner model is suitable for home as my brother has been asking me a lot question which I'm unable to deliver the answer.

Tin, Zinc & Lead all useless for Razors. Might as well cross them off the list. I'd suggest 24kt gold is useless as it is much too soft but 18kt would be about right.

Rhodium would be the #1 choice for sure - nothing beats properly done, heavily plated Rhodium. Most older Gillettes are Nickel which would be popular, but chrome/black chrome would be my pick after rhodium.

You may be able to 'rosegold' your gold solution by adding 10% copper to it. You may also get a great gold/brass mix too.

rhodium is not possible threw this supplier but I've found a supplier out of sydney and Melbourne so will look into it more but so far it's very expensive.

I've gone with copper, nickel, chrome and silver to start but I have also ordered 18k gold and black chrome. with a black oxide "dip solution" on back order.

not just have to study my books, watch my dvd's and start practising on scrap pieces and old coins.

and I'must overseas as of this after Noone I'll put full specs of the cleaner up in here once I get back @SpeedyPC but the brand is Soniclean

Tin, Zinc & Lead all useless for Razors. Might as well cross them off the list. I'd suggest 24kt gold is useless as it is much too soft but 18kt would be about right.

Rhodium would be the #1 choice for sure - nothing beats properly done, heavily plated Rhodium. Most older Gillettes are Nickel which would be popular, but chrome/black chrome would be my pick after rhodium.

You may be able to 'rosegold' your gold solution by adding 10% copper to it. You may also get a great gold/brass mix too.

oooooooo I'd love to be able to do rose gold. will have to research alot more of mixing my solutions

oooooooo I'd love to be able to do rose gold. will have to research alot more of mixing my solutions
I'd imagine there is plenty of discussion online regarding that in EP circles, but it is outside my sphere of knowledge.

One thing I would imagine is that when you are mixing, different metals (in solution) are likely to be more electro-chemically active than others. With my rudimentary chemistry knowledge, I would think that a gold/copper solution would probably end up with the copper ions plating first, then when they run out the gold would then plate. This is due to the copper being reactive to many compounds while gold is generally a non-reactive metal.

It may be that you need a proper Rose Gold solution, where the two metals are actually alloyed properly first and then the solution is made from that alloy. Again, you would need to research that.

rhodium is not possible threw this supplier but I've found a supplier out of sydney and Melbourne so will look into it more but so far it's very expensive.

I've gone with copper, nickel, chrome and silver to start but I have also ordered 18k gold and black chrome. with a black oxide "dip solution" on back order.

not just have to study my books, watch my dvd's and start practising on scrap pieces and old coins.

and I'must overseas as of this after Noone I'll put full specs of the cleaner up in here once I get back @SpeedyPC but the brand is Soniclean
Good work @the_shaving_sailor !! Im not aware of any other razor platers in Australia so you would have a nice market there once you perfect the technique.

Have a safe trip O/S. :)

I'd imagine there is plenty of discussion online regarding that in EP circles, but it is outside my sphere of knowledge.

One thing I would imagine is that when you are mixing, different metals (in solution) are likely to be more electro-chemically active than others. With my rudimentary chemistry knowledge, I would think that a gold/copper solution would probably end up with the copper ions plating first, then when they run out the gold would then plate. This is due to the copper being reactive to many compounds while gold is generally a non-reactive metal.

It may be that you need a proper Rose Gold solution, where the two metals are actually alloyed properly first and then the solution is made from that alloy. Again, you would need to research that.
once again you where spot on.
they need to be alloyed together first otherwise the copper attracts first. was a question already raised on the youtubes

ok so round one of cleaning was going well until the power supply box started smoking. soniclean have taken the power supply back this morning hopefully getting a new power unit by Wednesday next week.

but after a 15min session with mild cleaner solution has made my 3 piece merkur 34c like a mirror again. not one bit of soap scum left on her looks brand new again.

but after a 15min session with mild cleaner solution has made my 3 piece merkur 34c like a mirror again. not one bit of soap scum left on her looks brand new again.
Wait. I have a merkur 34c... Isn't it a 2 piece?
(Not trying to harrass)

Ah. All good.
For a second there I thought I had had it wrong all this time. :)
Actually, it is a three piece.
The twisty bit at the base of the handle, is held in with a spring.
Remove the twisty piece with enough downwards force and you will see what I've posted below.

Drj7nff.jpg

Actually, it is a three piece.
The twisty bit at the base of the handle, is held in with a spring.
Remove the twisty piece with enough downwards force and you will see what I've posted below.

Drj7nff.jpg
good to know for when I get sent these means I can clean them thoroughly.

good to know for when I get sent these means I can clean them thoroughly.
Just be aware of the crappy mixed pour metal that's used to make them is very susceptible to breaking down in normal acid cleaning methods.

Just be aware of the crappy mixed pour metal that's used to make them is very susceptible to breaking down in normal acid cleaning methods.

I won't be using acid unless it's to de-plate.
I've herd similar about the Edwin Jager handles so I'm just not going to risk it on anything. 99% of rust and crap can be removed with just distilled water and a very mild detergent solution