Fat Boy Blues

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
I have now had 3 shaves with this razor - using differnt soaps and a Gillette 7 o'clok blue. I cannot get any feel out of it at all - it is like rubbing a lump of metal across my face. Admittedly it does take the hair off, and does not draw any blood, but my other razors (esp the SE) I can actually feel the blade at work.
Any suggestions hints tips etc. I think I will try the same blade in the Slim I got and see if I can feel a diffrence.

What setting do you have it on? FBs and slims are well known for their mildness. I've given up on mine, but couldn't get any joy below a 5 or 6.

What setting do you have it on? FBs and slims are well known for their mildness. I've given up on mine, but couldn't get any joy below a 5 or 6.

Started at 5, it just seems to be all head and no blade. Like I said the SE I am using has quite a heavy head as well but still gives some "feel". I will try again tonight on various settings and if no good will have to relegate it to the viewing only section.

Well, your comparing apples and alien space vegetables there.

SE have feel all right, like a open blade on the face. Try the FB on 8. I found they get a bit rough, but you will have more blade to work with and might find a sweet spot.

Heavy razors generally have little feel or feedback in my experience. My favorite DEs are a 7 O'clock bakelite razor and a Souplex open comb both of which weigh bugger all. SEs give an enormous amount of feedback. The cutting edge is completely different and you get the almost scary scraping noise too. Nonetheless I really liked my Gillette adjustable (black handled super). I'm getting it back from my son by the way. I lent him a few SEs to try out and the result (he cut himself stupid) is that he's giving up on anything to do with a blade and is going electric, inspite of my threats to refer to him as Bart or Ashley (no offense to any Barts or Ashleys here) and ultimately to write him out of my will. In retrospect a very cunning and successful plan!

Well, your comparing apples and alien space vegetables there.

SE have feel all right, like a open blade on the face. Try the FB on 8. I found they get a bit rough, but you will have more blade to work with and might find a sweet spot.

OK got a reasonable stuble going and to give it every chance I will lather up with bluebeards
Thanks guys will let you know

Heavy razors generally have little feel or feedback in my experience. My favorite DEs are a 7 O'clock bakelite razor and a Souplex open comb both of which weigh bugger all.

Have you tried an LD Rocket? nice and light too.

proving that YMMV I LOVE the weight, the heft, the balance, the feel of the heavy British rhodium plated Aristocrats and their friends. Give me heft any time

Have you tried an LD Rocket? nice and light too.

proving that YMMV I LOVE the weight, the heft, the balance, the feel of the heavy British rhodium plated Aristocrats and their friends. Give me heft any time

No I haven't. I like hefty ones too but they don't have the same feedback you get with lighter DEs and SEs in general. They're just nice in a different way.

No I haven't. I like hefty ones too but they don't have the same feedback you get with lighter DEs and SEs in general. They're just nice in a different way.

Lots of love going on there! :D

You make a good point, Mark, about heft.

That's why I don't use my DE86 much any more, since getting a Progress.

The head isn't as heavy as I would like and I find it's impossible to shave with a razor that has no weight to the head.

I discovered pretty quickly that with no weight to the razor I was more inclined to apply pressure, resulting in a bad shave or even the odd nick.

Ok I tried again - set at 7 opened the jaws first - reset the razor - Lots of Bluebeards revenge and away I went - It actually did quite a tidy job but again just didn't feel right against my face and for the first time since I started this lark, I had to relather and go again. Nothing wrong with that as all you experts talk about your 27 pass shaves.
I do like the feel of the razor in my hand but I just need it to be a little more efficient. Will send it to the view only room and start trying some of the others.

What is this Progres that gets talked about?

Glen (I really did try) :)

I never got on with Gillettes. As you say, I didn't find them very efficient.

The Progress is an adjustable razor by Merkur. Aus prices are quite high, but they're around $60 elsewhere on the net. So double what you've spent on everything you own thus far.

Merkur-Progress-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-500-+-5-Free-DE-Razor-Blades.jpg

I found it rather aggressive, so Jug bought it. I prefer the Futur which is just as ruthless, but smoother.

Last edited:
I found it rather aggressive, so Jug bought it. I prefer the Futur which is just as ruthless, but smoother.

Futur can be a brute by all accounts. The blade exposure looks like it is very high even on the lowest setting.

I wonder if the fat head on the fatboy is just messing with your angles Glen?

Futur can be a brute by all accounts. The blade exposure looks like it is very high even on the lowest setting.

I wonder if the fat head on the fatboy is just messing with your angles Glen?

That could be the case, but I have had enough for now - will move onto the slim and a few others I have (cheapies as Drubbing so kindly pointed out) :) :) comment meant as amusing not critical - Put the mallet away MR Mod.

OK, better late than never....

It the FB working properly? I've found them to be notorious for bent guard bars or adjustment problems.

When they work they are great but many from the wild or eBay have probs I've found.

Maybe take and post or email pics? Alternatively if you want to send to me I'd happily check it out. I'm sure others here would be happy to as well.

OK, better late than never....

It the FB working properly? I've found them to be notorious for bent guard bars or adjustment problems.

When they work they are great but many from the wild or eBay have probs I've found.

Maybe take and post or email pics? Alternatively if you want to send to me I'd happily check it out. I'm sure others here would be happy to as well.
I think some/most people just don't get along with the 40-50s head profile, much rounder than any other razors. For people that use a modern razor, or ever vintage 2 or 3 piece razors, the 40-50s bigger and rounder face just doesn't work.
I didn't get along with gillettes until using the 60-70s heads, then later on the NEW and New improved. Even then I prefer the even flatter SE, and most others have no problem the modern flatter DEs.
For me, I've never thought much of a shave with a rocket, aristocrat or fat boy, they don't have the best head profile. I prefer the slim out of all vintage TTOs or adjustables, but prefer the even lower profile 2 and 3 pieces or SE :p

Last edited:
I never got on with Gillettes. As you say, I didn't find them very efficient.

/QUOTE]

This could well be the answer as I found the Razor from the Mens Biz starter pack did a good job and really liked my SE so maybe its just Gillette - we will see.

You tried one of your Flare Tips yet? Lot lighter than an adjustable. Still a pretty big head but I liked it. I've asked this before but does the Slim and/or Fat Boy have a locking mechanism. Just curious.

Last edited:
You tried one of your Flare Tips yet? Lot lighter than an adjustable. Still a pretty big head but I liked it. I've asked this before but does the Slim and/or Fat Boy have a locking mechanism. Just curious.

Havent tried the flare tip yet and I cannot see anything that could be described as a locking mechanism on either.